• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does AIM app use data plan or texts?

Henweigh

Oct 18, 2010
One of the major reasons I purchased a smartphone was to be able to chat with certain facebook friends in realtime no matter where I am. The AIM app seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

My question is, I have unlimited data, but only 500 texts per month. When conversing with someone on facebook on the AIM app, would that be free or is it charging me a text per message?

On a side note, I would also like to be able to send texts to a friend in Europe, but texts don't seem to make it there from the US. I just found this article about sending free texts through AIM, but it's two years old and related to iPhone:
Send Free SMS Messages Using the AIM iPhone App
Anyone know if this will work on Android and be free on my end?

One of the major reasons I purchased a smartphone was to be able to chat with certain facebook friends in realtime no matter where I am. The AIM app seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

My question is, I have unlimited data, but only 500 texts per month. When conversing with someone on facebook on the AIM app, would that be free or is it charging me a text per message?

On a side note, I would also like to be able to send texts to a friend in Europe, but texts don't seem to make it there from the US. I just found this article about sending free texts through AIM, but it's two years old and related to iPhone:
Send Free SMS Messages Using the AIM iPhone App
Anyone know if this will work on Android and be free on my end?

aim uses data not text limits, so youre good to go!

Upvote 0
you could both use google talk chat too, it's data and free and available as a browser page for iphone, app on android, its all i use now, texting is so 2000'ish
Yup Im starting to get more and into the GTalk. My problem is many of the people I text dont have a phone capable of GTalking. But yeah its nice. The other thing I need to expand my use of is Google Voice

Upvote 0
Depends on which AIM apparently you are using. The ones in the market are typically data, but I read at one point that the one from Verizon uses text. I would double check with customer service and monitor your text message count to be sure.

There are apparently that will specifically work with Facebook chat too. To my knowledge they are all data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones