• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone have a PERFECT Triumph?

Mine's good. Only had it about three weeks, but I don't have any of the commonly reported problems. Just took it on a trip and used the GPS with cached Google Maps, played a lot of Angry Birds and watched a bunch of shows on the phone and on TV with HDMI-out. It also works great as a pocket browser on wifi and ebook reader (now using CoolReader).

Upvote 0
Have not used many GPS to say the triumph is the best you have ever used,seeing this is the number one complaint about this phone.i am glad i ditched this phone back in July,and got my 300 dollars back,as i feel this phone is nowhere near worth what they where charging for it.it had some good qualities,but the OS and radios in this phone are trash.and to think people prefer this phone to either high end android phones or iphones i think you enjoy the cheap plans,but to compare this to any duel core phone or the stock OS to the Iphones IOS is a Joke.

Some Triumphs had gps issues, some don't. I understand that you hate the phone, but many others never had the issues you did. Proclaiming that they all had those issues is false.

Upvote 0
I've had 3 Triumphs. The original one I bought cyber Monday had the "spotlight" type light leakage really bad and a black dead pixel in the middle of the screen. The 2nd one had two stuck white pixels in the upper left corner. The 3rd had the blue tinted screen that looked really poor next to the other two. So I had all three to decide which one to keep, and I chose the 2nd one with stuck white pixel b/c I don't even notice them where they are positioned and everything else is very good. I sent the other 2 back today. The GPS lock was very slow on all 3 of them. I use Tracker Booster to help get my location faster.

Upvote 0
I get that the phone is far from perfect and mileage may vary but to say that this phone is horrible for the price I would challange you to find any great android phone at this price point with its features and no contract.

Yes, I want the cheap plan which is why I went this way. If I wanted to pay $100+ a month for unlimited everything, I would have gone with one of the Big 2 (3) if you count Sprint.

It seems more people are content with their purchase than are being burned by it. I paid less than $300 for mine and got a lot of extras that probably put my phone more at $225 than $300 which makes it much more palatable.

If I wanted an IPhone I would have paid for one. I prefer the Android OS hands down and it seems that VM is pretty good about getting out replacements if you get one that is bad.

I am sure if you browse the other forums you will find just as many peope QQing about their phone as the Triumph does here.

Reactions: TriumphLance
Upvote 0
I don't really have any problems with mine and I've had it months. Only thing that bothers me sometimes is on a full-white screen there are a few spots that show up visibly lighter? I barely notice it though, and only when that area is white. Some minor light leakage at the bottom but there are apps to turn the buttons off, and for some reason since using MIUI the buttons aren't as brightly lit anymore so I barely even see the leakage anyway. Also, GPS isn't the best but that could be a network problem at times.
I believe the build is 6/11. Possibly 7/11? I really don't understand how people are getting theirs replaced so many times...maybe I just got lucky. Or I'm not as picky?

Upvote 0
I'm on my first. Bought it the day the Triumph was released and never had a single problem with it. It sucks that so many people do, though, because mine is awesome. I haven't even rooted it; I haven't had the need. And I know there are a couple of others out there that have worked well from day one. I'm glad I'm one of the lucky ones.

Have no Issues with my MT , its been 2 months. Using cm7 from tickerguy.

Upvote 0
My second replacement Triumph arrived yesterday. It's incredibly laggy for some reason. I've got MIUI + SpeedDemon kernel on it, overclocked it to 1.4 GHz, and it still stutters.

The right speaker seems to play louder than the left speaker, but only when MIUI is installed. On the stock ROM, they sound about even.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm headed back to my Optimus V. Even at the price I paid, I'm sick of dealing with the Triumph's problems.

Upvote 0
For the most part, my MT is working pretty well. I am having issues with the GPS locking, but I've yet to try the fix that someone mentioned in this thread earlier. Bluetooth never stays connected, which sucks because I really want to use my headset with this phone. I'm currently stuck with using headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack, which is working all right. 3G reception is spotty in remote areas, but works great in the city.

I would recommend rooting the phone and installing the CM7 mod by tickerguy. It is MUCH better than stock, and you also get upgraded to Gingerbread.

One thing that I noticed is that the phone is very durable. I've dropped the phone several times, but there's nary a scratch on the screen. Try doing that with the iPhone.

I'm hoping that an upcoming software fix will fix many of these issues. I hear that it'll be out pretty soon, but they've been saying that for months.

Upvote 0
For the most part, my MT is working pretty well. I am having issues with the GPS locking, but I've yet to try the fix that someone mentioned in this thread earlier. Bluetooth never stays connected, which sucks because I really want to use my headset with this phone. I'm currently stuck with using headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack, which is working all right. 3G reception is spotty in remote areas, but works great in the city.

I would recommend rooting the phone and installing the CM7 mod by tickerguy. It is MUCH better than stock, and you also get upgraded to Gingerbread.

One thing that I noticed is that the phone is very durable. I've dropped the phone several times, but there's nary a scratch on the screen. Try doing that with the iPhone.

I'm hoping that an upcoming software fix will fix many of these issues. I hear that it'll be out pretty soon, but they've been saying that for months.
I got a replacement phone, and did a few drop tests on my old phone... I dropped it 15 times. The screen didn't crack or scratch till the 13th time.... the rest of the phone looked like sandpaper though! The 14th drop cracked it, and touchscreen quit, 15th killed it completley.
.02$

Upvote 0
I got a replacement phone, and did a few drop tests on my old phone... I dropped it 15 times. The screen didn't crack or scratch till the 13th time.... the rest of the phone looked like sandpaper though! The 14th drop cracked it, and touchscreen quit, 15th killed it completley.
.02$

Aren't you supposed to return the old one within 2 weeks to VM? or is this a different scenario?

Upvote 0
:D

BestBuy web site, Amazon web site, Virgin Mobile web site, Target web site, QVC web site do not have any recent negative comments. It seems that Motorola, Huawei and Virgin Mobile USA has fixed the hardware and software issues in the latest batches and/or fixed the issues in refurbished phones. It seems that they tightened the QC process for this phone. Hopefully, we will see the goodness continuing for a long time.

Upvote 0

BestBuy web site, Amazon web site, Virgin Mobile web site, Target web site, QVC web site do not have any recent negative comments. It seems that Motorola, Huawei and Virgin Mobile USA has fixed the hardware and software issues in the latest batches and/or fixed the issues in refurbished phones. It seems that they tightened the QC process for this phone. Hopefully, we will see the goodness continuing for a long time.

I hope so but it could be that the sellers delete negative reviews, they are interested in selling merchandise after all, and bad reviews don't exactly help that.

Upvote 0
I've had mine since October and it was indeed about perfect. Then last week it started doing this thing where the screen turns blue and it reboots, then it's in a boot loop. I have done everything including taking it back to complete stock. It really upsets me because I felt lucky to have had one of the Triumphs that wasn't screwy. I had ordered it from QVC because I heard the ones from them were not as defective as the ones from other places. I called Virgin yesterday, late afternoon, and they overnighted with fedex a replacement. it's supposed to be here tomorrow so we shall see how it goes. If this one isn't very good then I might just switch to Tmobile. I have loved my time on Virgin but with them losing callingmart and now problems with the only phone they have that is close to high end, it just doesn't seem worth it as much now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones