• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Music app ONLY play stored mp3s?

Zwa

Lurker
Oct 31, 2019
I'm new to Android and so far I like it. However, I just wonder where the Music app gets the songs from. I have uploaded 1,000+ songs to the SD card and they seem to be there in the Music app. But sometimes I notice that it will play a weird version of a song, like a live version or different mix, but one that I've never heard before. It occurred to me that it might be 'finding' this version on-line, rather than using locally stored files.

Essentially what I'd like it to do is ONLY to use locally stored mp3s, so that it's essentially an mp3 player and not a streaming device. I haven't been able to find any information about this.

Many thanks

Zwa

I'm new to Android and so far I like it. However, I just wonder where the Music app gets the songs from. I have uploaded 1,000+ songs to the SD card and they seem to be there in the Music app. But sometimes I notice that it will play a weird version of a song, like a live version or different mix, but one that I've never heard before. It occurred to me that it might be 'finding' this version on-line, rather than using locally stored files.

Essentially what I'd like it to do is ONLY to use locally stored mp3s, so that it's essentially an mp3 player and not a streaming device. I haven't been able to find any information about this.

Many thanks

Zwa

I would say it depends on the whatever it is "Music app" you're using, if it's something like Google Music, that is streaming on-line, with locally stored content optional.

I use mainly BlackPlayer EX or Fubar2000, and those can only play locally stored music files, NO streaming. So I know for sure I'm not going to be hearing any unexpected live versions, or strange mixes, or radio edits, etc.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I would say it depends on the whatever it is "Music app" you're using, if it's something like Google Music, that is streaming on-line, with locally stored content optional.

I use mainly BlackPlayer EX or Fubar2000, and those can only play locally stored music files, NO streaming. So I know for sure I'm not going to be hearing any unexpected live versions, or strange mixes, or radio edits, etc.

Thanks. It is Google Music (I guess). I'll take a look at the two apps you suggest. I'd also really like an app that doesn't stop playing if the headphone jack gets accidentally removed, but that's another story!

Upvote 0
Thanks. It is Google Music (I guess). I'll take a look at the two apps you suggest. I'd also really like an app that doesn't stop playing if the headphone jack gets accidentally removed, but that's another story!

FWIW, that's not something that's ever bothered me, so I've not looked into it. Basically I want the music to stop if the headphones become disconnected, so it doesn't come blasting thru the phone's speaker unexpectedly.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Zwa, and to the wonderful world of Android! :)

@mikedt has already answered your question, but I wanted to throw in my 2¢ worth.

If you're using Google Play Music, be sure that you're not being charged for its premium service. You may have been offered an X-day free trial, but once X is up, you're charged a monthly fee. You would have been prompted to accept this, so if you didn't, you should be fine.

Also, here are a couple of audio apps that I like: the venerable, multi-platform VLC, which I've used on my [Linux] computers forever, and was happy when it became available for Android. It can stream, but by default does not, and you kind of have to jump through hoops to get there. So you can use it with confidence that it's only playing what you want it to play.

I'm less familiar with Pulsar. I have the Pro [paid] version, and see that its normal price of $2.99 has been reduced/is on sale right now for $1.99. I'm pretty sure it only uses your music files, although it can pull album covers from cyberspace if you want it to.

Upvote 0
you can use the play music manager on your pc do sync any mp3's to the cloud which in turn the play music will be able to play once everything is sync'd.....so the answer to your question is yes it can. you just need your computer first.
The OP has put >1,000 music files on their Android's SD card, and wants to limit its audio app to only playing those. I'm probably missing something, but why, in this scenario, would they need a computer? :thinking:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The OP has put >1,000 music files on their Android's SD card, and wants to limit its audio app to only playing those. I'm probably missing something, but why, in this scenario, would they need a computer? :thinking:
that was how i got my mp3 on my computer to sync to the play music app. not sure how it is done when it is on the sd card. there is a play music manager you download on your pc and it will automatically sync any music rip or download on your pc to the cloud which the play music app will then have access to.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
that was how i got my mp3 on my computer to sync to the play music app. not sure how it is done when it is on the sd card. there is a play music manager you download on your pc and it will automatically sync any music rip or download on your pc to the cloud which the play music app will then have access to.
Ah, I see. But I don't think the OP needs that, as their music files are on the device they want to use to listen to them. Maybe s/he will enlighten us both! ;) :D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ah, I see. But I don't think the OP needs that, as their music files are on the device they want to use to listen to them. Maybe s/he will enlighten us both! ;) :D
well i think it is a good idea to back those files onto the pc anyways....so while you are at, might as well let the play music manager sync everything to the cloud so that you can listen to your mp3's thru the play music app on any device.

Upvote 0
No need for enlightenment..you know every single app now a days is runed by ads and bullshit and promotions and what have you..my suggesting: close all source of internet and data that your music mp3 player app might be getting..in that way..no unwanted music and weird version will come through..so you will only experience the music embeded in your sd memory card..

There you go.

Upvote 0
you know every single app now a days is runed by ads and bullshit and promotions and what have you..
I don't know which apps you're using, but none of mine do any of that. I wouldn't use them if they did.

Note that I only use paid apps, or free apps [such as the Candy Crush line, which have no ads because they have in-app purchases]. I don't do ads, anywhere, not on TV and not in apps.

Upvote 0
Going back to the OP''s original problem, "will play a weird version of a song, like a live version or different mix" I've only heard of that happening with Apple iTunes, where it would offer to upgrade your music library to a higher bit-rate and quality. And it sometimes ended up with live versions of songs, re-recordings, and clean "radio edit" versions that have rude or obscene lyrics taken out. I have tried Google Music, but I've never had a subscription with it so it wouldn't stream anything on-line.

No need for enlightenment..you know every single app now a days is runed by ads and bullshit and promotions and what have you..

I've never had that problem with the music players I use, which are Fubar2000 and BlackPlayer EX(Paid version), that I mentioned earlier in this thread. :) And Neutron(paid version) has sometimes been suggested as a good music player as well on AF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
..neither my music player has that problem..but since I am trying to help the op..so I'm just playing in my head any scenario can be happening to him since I want to come up with something consistent for him.

Yes, I also have the Neutron Pro..and doesn't have ads..but it does connect to the internet..even

Yeh, it can be quite difficult to find the shinola from the mountain of shite in the Play Store.

The players I use do connect to the internet as well, to download things like album art, artist bios, etc.

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
but since I am trying to help the op..so I'm just playing in my head any scenario can be happening to him since I want to come up with something consistent for him.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense. :)

My concern was that the OP, who is new to Android, would get scared/discouraged by something this bleak: "you know every single app now a days is runed by ads and bullshit and promotions and what have you." I now see your point, but let's try not to scare off new Android users with tales of gloom and doom! :D

Upvote 0
Black Player is the sweetest music player.

The EQ is great, the lyrics finder is very useful, and the blavk theme is easy on the eyes.

The app looks very professional as well.

I used to use VLC, but now it takes forever to load up (10-15 minutes!) and gives me grief, so after years of liking it I gave it the boot as it has only gotten worse with each update.

Even when I disable the stupid 'Parse Media On Startup' it does it anyway, every time I start the app.

X-Player is similar to VLC, only has in app purchases (no ads), allows streaming, and has a music player as well.

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
I used to use VLC, but now it takes forever to load up (10-15 minutes!)
Wait...WHAT?! I just timed mine: 1 second.
and gives me grief, so after years of liking it I gave it the boot as it has only gotten worse with each update.
I wonder what caused that for you, as it's definitely not been the case for me.

We are talking about the Android app, right?, not a computer version. I'm really baffled...10-15 minutes to start up is crazy. :eek:

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones