• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Done "Searching" Wondering if you can help

Hi Guys/Gals...

I was able to trade my Iphone 4 and traded for a Droid Razr. LOVE IT, don't know why it took me so long to join the droid revolution.

I was told by the guy that it's been "Rooted", which by doing some research means its kind of like a jailbroken iphone, but better.

So I have searched some threads to try and find out how to find out how to tell if it's been rooted.

I've downloaded Root Check Basic and Terminal Emulator to check, and Root Check said that i have root access. I tried entering some code into the Terminal Emulator, but opted not to go further because I didnt want to screw anything up.

So that leads me to one of my questions-

Have any Android "Noobs" found a site or thread that has "dumbed" this down to understand. It seems when the question is asked for a Adnroid Rooting for dummies, the users who know what they're doing try and help, but use too many technical terms.

I have no problem doing the reading, but would like a one stop source for Android rookies to learn what Rooting is, what the possibilities are, if it can be undone (Which I have read that it can, but is difficult), if there are any limitations that are negative once rooted.

One of my concerns, is that Ice Cream Sandwich is coming out for the Razr, but I am affraid if it's been rooted, than I am SOL.

Keep in mind, I am not totally technically inept, as I did teach myself how to jailbreak iphones, use Tiny Umbrella, redsn0w etc, and how to downgrade ios etc.

Hey Rocco (or is that, Wasted? :) )
Welcome to the forum, and to Android, and to the Razr!

The easiest way to determine if the phone has been rooted is to look for the Superuser app, if it's there, it's rooted.

There is a root sticky at the top of the 'all things root' section, which will answer many of your questions.

As far as ICS for the Razr, most likely the act of rooting it does indeed prevent you (and me) from getting the download when it's released for the Razr. But that doesn't mean we can't get ICS. VERY shortly after (or maybe somewhat before) ICS is released for the Razr there will be an ICS ROM available for us to flash. It won't be the 'stock' ROM that non-rooted folks will get, but generally that's a good thing, rather than a bad thing.

Reactions: wastedrocco
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones