• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Double your battery life...

Hya, first post on here so apologies if this has been posted before.

I have a Sony Experia SP so how effective this if on other phones, i'm not sure but i imagine the problems is with android/facebook in general.

My Experia when i bought it estimated 4 days battery however after a weeks use this went down to 2. I'm a light user and with the massive battery in this i expected better battery life. I did some investigating online and eventually found out my phone wasn't sleeping properly when the screen was off, in battery info my phone was awake a lot when it was supposed to be asleep. I downloaded the Wakelock Detector and found which app was still running in the background, damn Facebook... even with notifications off as i only check it manually. Facebook was even waking the phone with airport mode on! It seems the facebook basically overrides everything in the phone, stamina mode, networks off, sync off, airplane mode, how they get away with this i don't know :mad:

Anyway to cut a long story short, i disabled Facebook totally and my battery life has literally doubled from 2 days to at least 4 days under light use (airport mode during the night). this for a smartphone is incredible, and to think Facebook was constantly draining battery and making a massive difference is ridiculous. Imagine everyone who uses Facebook on there phone (pretty much everyone) and its basically halving their battery life!

Rooted phones may be able to hibernate the app, my phone wasn't rooted so i disabled it completely and will check facebook from now on in the mobile site, which isn't bad anyway.

Hope this helps someone who is wondering why the hell their battery doesn't last very long.

Reactions: mikedt
Sorry to disagree with you rxpert83, but the app is a battery kill no matter what you do - in my opinion.

I have turned refresh off. Turned off notifications. And it would still show up somewhat high on my list of battery usage. Then there was the curious issue of the notifications turning themselves on without my knowledge.

I uninstalled the app and my battery is slightly, but noticeably better. My focus group of one (aka me) says this is a battery suck app

Upvote 0
You can go into the app settings and disable notifications, syncing , chat, location, etc and the app will no longer affect battery life

^This.

Update interval is the big thing here. Set it to never and it only updates when you open the app. Otherwise it pops up in the background too often. I have used Facebook on three Android devices the last four years and have never had battery drain issues related to Facebook.

Upvote 0
You can go into the app settings and disable notifications, syncing , chat, location, etc and the app will no longer affect battery life

Mine is adjusted like that and uses less than .01%, according to Battery Stats Pro. I also don't use it...I guess that helps. ;) I needed it one day and tried to install it and use it and had to two-factor authenticate and it was a pain and I ended up not even using it that time, I only keep it because it's logged in and I may eventually need it again.

Come to think of it, I could just freeze it until I need it again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones