• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DropBox - Love it or hate it, it's nice to have!

Talderon

Android Expert
Feb 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have been using DropBox.com's service for a while now (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM5NjM0Nzc5) and have really come to rely on this service to keep things in sync with my Home and Work machines.

What is DropBox?

DropBox is an on-line storage repository that allows you to store any kind of file you want/need and sync with multiple machines (as well as accessing those files from anywhere with an Internet access and browser). You can get 2GB with a FREE account (which you can get more FREE space through referrals). You can even share files with other friends with DropBox or Publicly with people without DropBox.

There is an app on the market (free) called DroidBox, and along with this app, this has become even more indispensable.

I don't have things auto sync to my phone, but with this app, i can browse everything in my DropBox and download/upload files if I need them and can attach to mails and so forth.

Check it out. I backup my pictures to my DropBox so I can view them on other machines easily.

may i suggest a service called goaruna . imo much better then drop box they have unlimited free space when you sign up there is a android app in the market place to access your files and there is a program you can use on your pc and add ins for browsers or in any browser. along with being able to share your folders and files with friends via links. check it out.

Upvote 0
may i suggest a service called goaruna . imo much better then drop box they have unlimited free space when you sign up there is a android app in the market place to access your files and there is a program you can use on your pc and add ins for browsers or in any browser. along with being able to share your folders and files with friends via links. check it out.

Had never heard of goaruna, so thanks for that. Just a word of caution however...during the sign up process, I noticed that they do not use HTTPS, so it's very possible for your credentials to become compromised, especially on an insecure wireless network (ie, airport, 3g...this is very easy to do, even when sites ARE protected by HTTPS), so be cautious about what files you upload, and obviously, do not use the same credentials that you use for banking or anything else that you care about.

I also can't find anywhere on the site how much storage you get...are you sure it's unlimited for free? That sounds too incredible to be true...they got to make money somehow.

Upvote 0
As an FYI, emailed goaruna's support my questions. Here's their response:

- https for the web client is something we need to add and plan to do so
- our desktop client has the user/password encoded for authentication
- 2 GB storage account is free
- More storage (and more features) will be on a monthly or yearly (we will have both options) basis and will start under $10/mo
- We haven't launched our paid plans yet but it is being worked on right now and expected in the next couple of months.

Upvote 0
I use DropBox to sync to the following machines:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Primary Desktop)
Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 (Work Laptop)
Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 (Work Desktop)
Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 (Home VM (VMWare))
MAC OSX (Home junk machine I just use for storage)

I love it because it's secure, well known, the speeds are fantastic and all in all, never had an issue at all.

I had a home video I shot and my brother wanted to see it and not wait for me to munge it up and get it all uploaded and formatted, so I dropped the 1.5GB file into the DropBox share we set up and by morning, it was all sync'd and he pulled it out and enjoyed watching it.

I also have a shares set up with co-workers and there are times where we need to share 30-200MB files. Can't email those, and since we are in a a small satellite office, putting things on the corporate file server takes longer than it does on DropBox since it has LAN Sync (which will move files across the LAN to machines that share files rather than uploading to the server and downloading over the net).

As stated in an earlier post, I would not sign up for a service with a company that decided that Security can be added later and is "in planning". :eek::thinking::eek:

Also, with referrals, I have (currently) 7GB of FREE storage space (I cap at 8GB, so please click my link if you are interested... lol).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones