• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Early thoughts on 4G speed and coverage

OK, now I went to speedtest.net and I got the results box. Now this is weird. I got download 0.50 Mb/s and Upload 0.21 Mb/s with Ping 409. ISP Sprint PCS and .......SERVER: Wichita, KS Distance ~ 50 mi

Wichita, KS??? I'm near Chicago. Why does it say Wichita, KS...and what can I do about this? Help!!!

on the website test... on the map before you start the test. You can select other locations!!! Find one near you.. but that really does not matter. Location is not a big issue... just find a server that is not busy (you can not know if they are busy or not).

1.. check to see if you have 4G turned ON
2.. It looks very low, even for 3G speeds. You must be in a very bad signal area. I suggest you to out get some coffee and try testing again in several places.

Upvote 0
on the website test... on the map before you start the test. You can select other locations!!! Find one near you.. but that really does not matter. Location is not a big issue... just find a server that is not busy (you can not know if they are busy or not).

1.. check to see if you have 4G turned ON
2.. It looks very low, even for 3G speeds. You must be in a very bad signal area. I suggest you to out get some coffee and try testing again in several places.

It shouldn't be a bad signal area. Never had problems with my Sprint Pam Pre. Map shows 4G coverage.

But my question is why does it say the server is Wichita, KS??? How does it choose the server? Can this be changed? Was it set up wrong? (the guy at RS didn't really seem to know what he doing setting it up). So confused.

Upvote 0
When I do the speedtest it thinks I'm in Wichita. Why is this? I have this feeling that the setting on my phone are all screwed up. I also can't get my email set up properly. Maybe this is what I get for buying at RS instead of Sprint. May have to find some time to head over to the Sprint Store.

It always start out saying Wichita, Ks. You can change it on the speedtest screen. Go to settings and change server.

Upvote 0
When I do the speedtest it thinks I'm in Wichita. Why is this? I have this feeling that the setting on my phone are all screwed up. I also can't get my email set up properly. Maybe this is what I get for buying at RS instead of Sprint. May have to find some time to head over to the Sprint Store.

try a battery pull..
see if it puts your phone back in the right setting :p

Upvote 0
According to the coverage maps both locations I am frequently at are the "best" of WiMax coverage yet I get no signal - 1 bar if lucky. Not worth it IMO at this point at all.

Everything else is great though, going from Rooted Hero, this thing flys with the stock Sprint Rom.

Wimax is still a baby at this point. Sprint is still deploying their network as we speak. In a year or less their will be a huge improvement. They might even find away to increase building penetration. Technology wont cease to advance. By the time we know it we will be talking about 4g like if it was 3g and we will be waiting for 5g :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones