• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Early Upgrade - Nexus??

Have a Droid X that is eligible for an early upgrade. Not sure if I'll wait, but wanted to know a few things in making this decision.
1. When Google puts out an update, is the phone updated directly or is it at Verizon's or Samsung's choosing?
2. Is there any bloatware/blur on this or is it pure ICS?

I like to customize my phone, but I don't root it. I use Go Launcher to help give me a basis for starting and add what I want that can be done without rooting. But my biggest complaint of any Android phone is that when Google updates and releases a new OS, I want it on my phone. The thing I admire most about Apple is that when an update or new iOS comes out, everyone gets it. Now I know you can't do that for too long due to hardware requirements, but I've got a 16 month old Droid X and Motorola has stated the X will not get an update to ICS.
Thanks for any insight to the Verizon version of Galaxy Nexus.

Verizon will always have a say in the update, CDMA technology gives the carrier complete power over everything on it's network. However Google writes the update, Verizon tests it, and requests changes, Google fixes issues, Verizon tests again, and if the process doesn't need to be repeated, it goes out OTA.

As far as bloatware, there are 2 or 3 apps from Verizon, (Back-up assistant and My Verizon being the ones I know of), but other than that, it is pure unadulterated ICS.

The Nexus so far has been supported for about 2 years, (THe Nexus One won't get ICS, but the Nexus S did). So you should at the very least be good to go until your next upgrade.

Hope this helps, and be happy to help with any other questions.

Upvote 0
I am totally sold on my nexus. I used to have a Droid incredible and I loved sense. That being said I now have my nexus and love the vanilla experience. Even if you don't root this phone you can customize it so much. I am rooted now which by the way is so simple to do. If you don't root I would suggest trying Nova launcher. It looks like ICS but it gives you a lot more options to customize. I can see myself staying with this phone for a while. Plus since I did root I can always get the latest on the phone. And plus there is none of the extra bloatware on this phone. Those 2 small apps I just disabled them so they were "gone" from my app drawer and shut down. My battery life is also amazing on this phone. That could be my rom I am using though. I do have the extended battery as well which adds almost no extra bulk to the phone. You will not be disappointed if you choose this phone. I love it.

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
it really is a great phone, and IMO, shoud be unlocked and rooted on Day 1. there are a LOT of ROM's available for it. the good thing about a nexus, is that ROM's are going to be very stable for it simply because it is running the same OS as an OTA just tweaked slightly.

camera is a little lacking...but with some simple photo editing (sharpening up the image helps a lot) it is a pretty good shooter
battery life is going to suffer coming from the DX...but it is still pretty good for a LTE device. extended battery is $25 and well worth it...just a little extra juice and the extended battery door makes the back of the phone contour with your hand...very nice feeling.

stock ICS is amazing. its quick, smooth, and very nice to look at and use. polish wise, it is on par with iOS.

the screen will AMAZE you. i remember my DX screen....it wasn't that great. this one is the best screen i have ever seen on a mobile device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones