• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EB01 compatible with DL09

Henweigh

Oct 18, 2010
I didn't know what to put as a title as I'm having a few issues but that one sums it up a bit...

So I was upgrading from dl09 nextang theme to eb01 superclean, then applying the eb01 orange overload nextang theme. First I installed the new red cwm. Then the eb01 modem. Then eb01 superclean. This is where problems started. When I booted into cwm to install the theme, it was now blue not red. When I tried to apply the zip of the theme, I ended up on the Samsung screen, which then turned into a blank screen with the phone vibrating intermittently. I know it's been said to have patience but I gave it close to an hour and nothing was happening so I pulled the battery.

I had some more freezes that I fixed by battery pulls. Kinda nervous about that but my phone seems to be OK now. I eventually got the theme applied by reloading red cwm after applying eb01 superclean.

Would I be correct in assuming that when I applied superclean that it overwrote my newer red version of cwm with an older blue version? Is it the case that you can't flash eb01 themes unless you're in red cwm?

When I tried to load my nandroid backup of dl09 it wouldn't work. Any reason for this? Once you flash a new modem is it impossible to go back and use a previous backup that used a different modem? What would I have to do to get back to my dl09 backup now that the eb01 modem is installed? Also is there any way to check that the modem installed properly?

Ok, lets try to figure out what's wrong. First, before making these major changes did you wipe data/cache several times? Second, I went straight to the voodoo vesion of sc EB01 and that cwr goes to red right away when entered, but its my understanding that the non-voodoo version may take you to blue first where you would have to scroll down to apply update.zip and press the home button. Then you should be in red cwr where you need to be flashing from. I would recommend NOT attempting to restore DL09. You need to restore backups from the cwr you were using when you made the backup. I personally always make sure my new rom/radio/cwr (basically any big changes) are working properly before applying a theme. And make sure that theme matches the rom build, ie. EB01 rom---EB01 theme. To go back, it would be easiest to odin the DI01 all in one and flash the dl09 modem and appropriate cwr and then restore a backup.

I highly recommend the EB01 roms though, they are smooth running once you get it all right!

Reactions: Henweigh
Upvote 0
No, I did not wipe data/cache before doing the upgrade. How serious is that to do? Oops, I feel like a moron.

On the setup I have right now on eb01 SC, when I choose to boot into recovery using the power button, I get blue cwr. When I select apply update.zip, it boots me into green recovery. I believe previously I was getting into red cwr by selecting the zip file on my SD card titled "cwm-recovery-ALL.zip", that I got from this thread:

[RECOVERY] Updated ClockworkMod for ALL ROMs - xda-developers

Should I rename that file above to update.zip?

Also, slightly offtopic, but what exactly is the purpose of radio and modem? I'm sure the radio isn't to listen to music... kind of :) How would you know if you had a problem with the functionality of either?

Upvote 0
Ok, having a similar problem to before. I got red cwr running, wiped data and cache, installed SC v 2.4, I think it worked fine, didn't play around with it too much. Then I went back into cwr and flashed the Nextang 2.5 theme for eb01. Wiped data and cache in between I believe. Now... I don't know if I should just wait this out, but after rebooting after the theme install, my phone has been loading the Galaxy S screen over and over again for the past 20+ minutes. What should I do?

Upvote 0
Ok, having a similar problem to before. I got red cwr running, wiped data and cache, installed SC v 2.4, I think it worked fine, didn't play around with it too much. Then I went back into cwr and flashed the Nextang 2.5 theme for eb01. Wiped data and cache in between I believe. Now... I don't know if I should just wait this out, but after rebooting after the theme install, my phone has been loading the Galaxy S screen over and over again for the past 20+ minutes. What should I do?

Did you flash the EB01 radio in Odin?

http://www.mediafire.com/?1r7uk6gf8d6s76z

Upvote 0
Wiped data and cache in between I believe.

@Henweigh- This may be where the problem occured. From my experience in installing themes with other phones, you only need to Wipe Data/Cache when you are installing the rom(SC 2.4), do not wipe when you are installing the theme.
Go to CWM, wipe data/cache, install SC 2.4 again, reboot the system, let it boot up, go through the setup (if there is one), then reboot to CWM and install the theme but don't wipe data/cache. It 'should' work then.

Upvote 0
@Henweigh- This may be where the problem occured. From my experience in installing themes with other phones, you only need to Wipe Data/Cache when you are installing the rom(SC 2.4), do not wipe when you are installing the theme.
Go to CWM, wipe data/cache, install SC 2.4 again, reboot the system, let it boot up, go through the setup (if there is one), then reboot to CWM and install the theme but don't wipe data/cache. It 'should' work then.

I don't wipe data but I wipe cache for everything I flash

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones