• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Either my laptop is possessed or it really hates me.

all i know is there are a lot of people on many forums saying that S.M.A.R.T. had claimed their drives were 'imminent failure predicted' but they boot and run just fine...

S.M.A.R.T. reminds me of the Check Engine lamp in my car. sure, it can mean problems ahead, but many people drive with the Check Engine lit and the car or truck runs just fine--mine included

Yeh.. I think SMART can be like the Check Engine lamp. You're driving along, the Check Engine lamp isn't lit, you think all is OK, and next thing you know the head gasket has blown. And I've actually had that happen.

Also like in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, when the HAL 9000 was predicting the failure of the AE-35 unit.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
As long as we're O/T here, I should point out that a MIL is primarily for emissions systems, and should never be considered a replacement for doing regular maintenance, or blamed if a poorly designed or neglected engine blows up.

S.M.A.R.T. is not an "idiot light". The S.M.A.R.T. data is comprehensive, technical and best used by professionals. It's not fair to blame S.M.A.R.T. for the shortcomings of a piece of crappy software that tries to boil down S.M.A.R.T. data into an "idiot light".

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
well, a MIL lamp does have a 'predictive nature' that can allow a car or truck to remain running fine long enough to take it into service, and if it's a code likely to cause problems (such as a crank sensor, camshaft sensor, or oxygen sensor) a problem WILL likely happen if you drive anyway. but often the light comes on and nothing ever goes wrong. (and many people pull the bulb)

S.M.A.R.T. has a similar predictive nature, and there are tons of false positive reports online, many who's drives should have already crashed and burned years ago which still work just fine. i just would not place that much faith in anything that tries to 'predict the future'

FYI a blown head gasket will not trip a MIL lamp. it can cause the engine to overheat, causing it to run erratic enough to trip it later, but a MIL is only there for fuel/emission control with the car's on-board computer. it has nothing to do with overheating, low oil pressure, or other issues that are now taken over by a gauge, or other idiot light

there was time however where the light or symbol for 'check engine' was a trouble indicator, and in place of a separate light for the oil or battery gauges, or if such gauges did not exist. in that manner, the light was a singular warning for low oil pressure, low voltage, or overheating. those cars or trucks did not have on-board computers. there was a transitional period however and this is seen on the 1980s LTD Crown Victorias, if they had EFI, there were TWO Check Engine lamps on the gauge cluster. one just said 'engine' and was the trouble light, the other said 'Check Engine' and referred to emissions control problems.

DSC03843.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones