• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Is it an Android thing, or an X10 thing, or just me? Or is the lag on this phone just pathetic?

On Saturday, went to Thorpe park with a couple of friends, one with a Blackberry (don't know which), and one with an iPhone. They came back with plenty of decent pics taken quickly and without issue (almost instantly). My phone would just lag, take 5 or so seconds to open the camera, and when pics got taken, they were blurred and crap - and it often took several touches of the screen to take the pic. Grrrrrr..

Then we go to the bar in the Dome bit and we're playing with our phones; showing off our apps, and playing Angry birds Rio (well, me and Mr iPhone anyway!) - and the scrolling through pages, and playing games is a 1000 times more smooth and responsive on the iPhone. I'm left embarrassed, trying 3 or 4 times to unlock the phone before it responds, scrolling left and right with the scroll occurring way behind. The iPhone is sooooo much smoother at this. Why is this???

I still think the X10 (and the Arc) is the best looking phone out there... but I'm so frustrated at the lag in everything.

Is every Android phone like this? Is there anyway to improve this (without rooting)?

Thanks in advance :)

your phone is like your pc...

after a long time your pc gets slower and slower...even if you don't notice it, but once you get a virus or something goes wrong and you need to format it - you then notice how slow it was because the freshly installed windows is super fast.

The android is the same that i have found, if you have lots of apps, widgets etc running...or installed and uninstalled - this will slow the phone down (even have lots of pictures stored on the memory card)

Upvote 0
im not using a flash rom but i clean my phone with root access and i am running play station emulator perfect speed no lags in addition taking full hd videos that look beter then my cam corder i agree with above post keep it clean keep it fast but. . . as i have explored in a previous post it is possible that your sd card is to slow and that might be casuing lag on your camera ect but its very unlikly unless you are using a super bad sd card i mean some thing after market bought on ebay ;)

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/312493-all-things-sd.html

this might help you but clean the phone first a class 2 is waht im using now and phone is fine so again its not likly.
just making sure to say it again incase i cause you to waste money on some thing that does not work ^_^

Upvote 0
Two things you can do...one is to setup a Task Manager app and take a look at how many apps are actually running and close the one's you aren't using. Or use the built in one under Applications...Running Applications.

If you have your cell carriers version of Android and their apps on there....or if you aren't using a custom ROM then your phone is slower than those of us who are using custom ROMS.

Basically, there are a ton of preloaded apps that slow the phone down and do thing that some people would find useless. Like if I took a picture 5 hours ago, do I still need my phone app on and face recognition? Nope....I can either kill the task or I could install a custom ROM that doesn't have face recognition installed.

I compare a generic Experia X10 from my cell phone provider to a Windows Computer from HP or Toshiba....preloaded with a ton of garbage that slows the machine down for the average user....and most don't care and never fix it. While a guy like me reformats and reinstalls.

Upvote 0
my phone is slow too, takes ages to take a pic, when playing a game, it lags like hell, I hate my phone, but I'm waiting for 2.3 to come out to see if it's any better..
But, why do we have to root our phone or to do something to do to make it faster? why can't sony do that for us when we bought our phone?

Upvote 0
But, why do we have to root our phone or to do something to do to make it faster? why can't sony do that for us when we bought our phone?

EXACTLY! That's why I wouldn't buy this phone again

The article in this thread (see below) has some good points, I think Google needs more control and stop sony putting their crap on there. Maybe allow it as an option but not supply it as default and cripple phones with it

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/315117-i-still-love-you-x10.html

Upvote 0
EXACTLY! That's why I wouldn't buy this phone again

The article in this thread (see below) has some good points, I think Google needs more control and stop sony putting their crap on there. Maybe allow it as an option but not supply it as default and cripple phones with it

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/315117-i-still-love-you-x10.html

Android is an OS that allows hundreds of phones to use their OS for their hardware. And Android makes it free...so the cell phone providers then load it up with junk.

I bet if you asked Sony what would be better, if you bought the phone from them or though a provider that messed with the phone and added a bunch of useless apps, Sony would say their phone is better.

The reason most people don't spend $500 on a phone is because they get it for under $150 from their cell provider, but they have to deal with the junk apps that their provider loaded. My provider put a useless ringtone purchasing app and a useless song purchasing app and a way to access my bill and order things online.

So, I spent $50 on this phone...and for me, it was no problem to root the phone...make it better than not only my cell phone companies x10, but better than Sony's factory default x10.

It's the same thing for any HP or Toshiba or Dell or Acer or any other type of computer that comes loaded with Windows and a load of bloatware from the manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Android is an OS that allows hundreds of phones to use their OS for their hardware. And Android makes it free...so the cell phone providers then load it up with junk.

I bet if you asked Sony what would be better, if you bought the phone from them or though a provider that messed with the phone and added a bunch of useless apps, Sony would say their phone is better.

The reason most people don't spend $500 on a phone is because they get it for under $150 from their cell provider, but they have to deal with the junk apps that their provider loaded. My provider put a useless ringtone purchasing app and a useless song purchasing app and a way to access my bill and order things online.

So, I spent $50 on this phone...and for me, it was no problem to root the phone...make it better than not only my cell phone companies x10, but better than Sony's factory default x10.

It's the same thing for any HP or Toshiba or Dell or Acer or any other type of computer that comes loaded with Windows and a load of bloatware from the manufacturer.

I agree with you, I do get your point. But what if I get another Android phone running on the same OS version, and same cell provider, with the same stuff installed on it, I still think X10 will be more laggy lol

Upvote 0
I agree with you, I do get your point. But what if I get another Android phone running on the same OS version, and same cell provider, with the same stuff installed on it, I still think X10 will be more laggy lol

Newer Android phones are faster yes. Phones that came out the same time as the x10....they are the same or slower.

My brother in law has an original Droid...and that is so slow.

The x10 is a year old now.

Sony thought that having a super slow gallery and timescape would make their phone better....that was a huge waste of money and now that I don't have either of those laggy useless programs installed, my phone is much better.

You know who makes a better gallery/media app than Sony? Pretty much everyone. Timescape looks kinda neat, but it is so slow and I am sure Sony put hundreds of thousands behind that app and very few people who root their phone leave it installed.

Upvote 0
Newer Android phones are faster yes. Phones that came out the same time as the x10....they are the same or slower.

My brother in law has an original Droid...and that is so slow.

The x10 is a year old now.

Sony thought that having a super slow gallery and timescape would make their phone better....that was a huge waste of money and now that I don't have either of those laggy useless programs installed, my phone is much better.

You know who makes a better gallery/media app than Sony? Pretty much everyone. Timescape looks kinda neat, but it is so slow and I am sure Sony put hundreds of thousands behind that app and very few people who root their phone leave it installed.

I have tried rooting my phone and freezing some things, but my phone started to have some errors, maybe I did it wrong,
I'm sorry...

Upvote 0

A few useless apps I can deal with but sony have put stuff embedded in android. My provider hardly put anything on just a few links to their websites.
The sony stuff is the thing that's slowing my phone down not the providers apps.

I don't think this is the same as I've had a Dell and a HP and all I did was uninstall the programs I didn't have to hack the OS on them.

I agree with you 100% on this but why put it on it the first place? Can't we expect more? Other phones aren't as bad.

I don't think sony have learnt either, isn't timescape on the arc and play?
They can make decent hardware but then put on a load of crap software which is harder to get rid of than other android phones.

Upvote 0
A few useless apps I can deal with but sony have put stuff embedded in android. My provider hardly put anything on just a few links to their websites.
The sony stuff is the thing that's slowing my phone down not the providers apps.

I don't think this is the same as I've had a Dell and a HP and all I did was uninstall the programs I didn't have to hack the OS on them.

I agree with you 100% on this but why put it on it the first place? Can't we expect more? Other phones aren't as bad.

I don't think sony have learnt either, isn't timescape on the arc and play?
They can make decent hardware but then put on a load of crap software which is harder to get rid of than other android phones.

I have worked for HP and Dell....and there is a lot more left over on a computer after you uninstall it than you think....even after using a registry cleaner.

Some phone's aren't as bad. Like Samsung and some Motorola's. I don't know of any that are worse. But I wasn't surprised. When I bought the phone I new I was going to have problems with Sony restricting updates and I knew my phone was going to be quickly made obsolete.

I think Timscape and Mediascape are both extremely slow garbage that Sony put a bunch of money into instead of turning to the already thriving app community....that was a huge misstep. I can just picture the Sony executive asking his software developers to make timescape and mediascape. Cool idea...way too much....way too bloated.

Sony is all about making something new and making people get used to it.

I have a Sony Clie and an old Sony laptop that has the most ridiculous Sony M2 memory card reader. I have 3-4 of these Sony memory cards that are useless to me. They tried to make their own proprietary memory stick in partnership with SanDisk....but SDCards were already around.

I think Sony was thinking they had their next big thing....but I see Sony memory sticks the same way I see Beta. Matter of fact, I still have a Beta sitting in the corner of my basement.

Upvote 0
Sony did it with mini discs too, I had a k850 or was it the k750 that had m2 cards and now there useless.
I work as a graphic design in a marketing dept and I'm thinking the sony execs wanted things they could market regardless of quality.
I wish they'd made timescape and mediascape as apps not built in.

I take it you mean betamax when you say beta? That reminds me of The Boosh! (doubt you'll have got this in the US) :D YouTube - Meet The Betamax Bandit

Or do you mean B3TA : WE LOVE THE WEB

Upvote 0
all I have to say about this is.......

'the slide unlock'!

its pathetic! it always catches at about 95% and wont go to the home screen. or sometimes it goes half way to the right then it slides out of your finger and you have to try again.

my friends iphone slide unlock is like butter.. no resistance at all. easy!

i liked the x10 at the start but now i realize its a great android phone with asthma lol

I think the only reason why i didnt get the iphone is because I cant stand apple and its smaller screen size

Upvote 0
all I have to say about this is.......

'the slide unlock'!

its pathetic! it always catches at about 95% and wont go to the home screen. or sometimes it goes half way to the right then it slides out of your finger and you have to try again.

my friends iphone slide unlock is like butter.. no resistance at all. easy!

i liked the x10 at the start but now i realize its a great android phone with asthma lol

I think the only reason why i didnt get the iphone is because I cant stand apple and its smaller screen size

So you did not get an iphone because you dont like the manufacturer and the screen was 12mm less...lol

i hated the x10 and wanted the iphone...I was willing to swap at the start, but since 2.1 and custom ROMs i am glad i kept it...its a great phone. Cant wait for 2.3 and better custom ROMS...esp now the boot loader is opened up....watch this space

I installed a ROM last night and its made this bad boy a right snappy little thing - plus the mods you can do are endless!

Upvote 0
maybe im just more bitter because im still not sure what roms are and how to install them haha

I cannot agree anymore with you haha, when you find out how to root your phone and do roms, custom stuff, tell me lol,
I rooted my phone 2 weeks ago, then all I did were set the CPU speed and froze some apps,
now my google mail does not delete emails
haha

Upvote 0
I cannot agree anymore with you haha, when you find out how to root your phone and do roms, custom stuff, tell me lol,
I rooted my phone 2 weeks ago, then all I did were set the CPU speed and froze some apps,
now my google mail does not delete emails
haha

eddie! were in the same boat! the people on here who know how to do it all make it seem so easy when they tell you..but it really isnt. there are so many little variables that come into play they dont talk about.

im trying to reformat my phone now and start fresh. -phone is really lagging now and handcent is not working right. 2 out of 10 texts dont go through either. errrr

Upvote 0
eddie! were in the same boat! the people on here who know how to do it all make it seem so easy when they tell you..but it really isnt. there are so many little variables that come into play they dont talk about.

im trying to reformat my phone now and start fresh. -phone is really lagging now and handcent is not working right. 2 out of 10 texts dont go through either. errrr

Well, I've updated to Multi Touch last night, which is coool!! But it's slow as shit still,

Upvote 0
@ eddie & spike

there is not much info on here about custom ROM's, i suggest you head over to XDA and have a good read!

All the info and programs are there that you need the only thing you have to ask yourself is....dam..which one do i pick!!

most ROMs are fully functional and work great but before you start messing....once you have installed xrecovery......BACK UP YOUR OWN ROM otherwise you will have to start from fresh!!

its a simple as putting the files on your SD card, booting to xrecovery and selecting the ROM you wanna try and hit yes

go hunting boys lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones