• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Engadget's Review of the Nexus One (and DROID Owner's Comment)

You dont want the Omnia II. Its a Windows Mobile unit with a junk resistive touch screen.

N900 has a resistive and it works very well. Also handy for stylus function in Flash content when more precise mouse function is needed.

Is your view on the Omnia specific to it, or the technology as a whole? Some screens are poor, but some work well, like the Archos 5 and N900. I have both.

Upvote 0
Why is it that everything that is NOT an iPhone is crapped on by Engadget Mobile?

In their defense, the reviewer has used the device and none of us have. How is the review unfair? Seems to make sense. I have used the Droid for two weeks and touch-only Android devices. I agree with their view in that regard.

Also, they compared it mainly to the Droid and not the iPhone (which I detest, but I dislike all touch-only phones). Game emulators and long typing sessions are not good for me using VK.

Upvote 0
Why is it that everything that is NOT an iPhone is crapped on by Engadget Mobile?

Actually, same guy, same Engadget, different phone... on the DROID:

So, is the DROID a good smartphone? Yes, the DROID is an excellent smartphone with many (if not all) of the features that a modern user would expect, and if you're a Verizon customer, there probably isn't a more action packed device on the network. That's not to say the device doesn't have its faults; the camera was unpleasant to use, the application selection feels thin in both quantity and quality (despite the claim of 10,000 options), and the phone has bits of basic, non-intuitive functionality that might chafe on some users after a while.

But even still, it's hard not to recommend the DROID to potential buyers eager to do more with their devices. It's easily the best Android phone to date, and when you couple the revamped OS, Verizon's killer network, and an industrial design straight from a gadget enthusiast's fever-dream, it makes for a powerful concoction. Ultimately, the DROID won't usurp the iPhone from the public's collective mindshare or convince casual users that they must switch to Android, but it will make a lot of serious geeks seriously happy -- and that's good enough for us.

Upvote 0
7) Really? WiFi browser test? Did they clear the cache before attempting to do it? DROID got caught with its pants down sync'ing data mid-download. DROID also starting its download from the search screen instead of the Google browser like the other two. And the scrolling, really? How many more pixels is the DROID/N1 pushing compared to the iPhone? Between the two Android phones, 2.1 browser is said to be a bit quicker than 2.0.1 (which seemed to have gotten slower after the updated from 2.0).

11) FAIL for no keyboard. I'm telling you, a d-pad is NEEDED for gaming, unless you choose to play accelerometer games all the time. I just played a healthy dose of Double Dragon on my Nesoid with ease ;)

Via my home wifi, I had Engadget typed in and ready to load along with the video. I hit "Go" on my Droid at the exact same moment. My Droid loaded the page a bit slower than the 3GS, but much, much faster than his Droid or N1.

While I am quite disappointed with the Droid's browser on many sites since the 2.01 update, there's no way it's as horribly slow as the video makes it out to be.

As for the keyboard... I'm not really sure. I use and like the physical keyboard and love the d-pad on my Droid, but I am concerned that in the long term the slider mechanism will get too loose and annoy me to no end. I've also seen a number of photos where the Droid's keys start to peel off in a corner. I definitely see the appeal of a phone without a slider.

Upvote 0
N900 has a resistive and it works very well. Also handy for stylus function in Flash content when more precise mouse function is needed.

Is your view on the Omnia specific to it, or the technology as a whole? Some screens are poor, but some work well, like the Archos 5 and N900. I have both.
Would you stop already. The Omnia IIs resistive screen is horrible. The only way you can type on it is with your finger nails. Any capacitive screen is FAR superior.

Upvote 0
Are you one of them there Snapboys / fanboys?

Please show me where the 8250 has a discrete GPU in the architecture. Embedded function and an actual chip are not the same thing, but the line there is getting fuzzier as nm levels decrease in fabrication processes.

Also, do you appreciate that to get the performance you are mentioning you need to pump the power and clock up to correlate in performance? Are you assuming the relationship is linear or exponential;)

Enough, let us try Duke Nukem (demanding 2D game) and Quake 3 on both chipsets and see which perform the best. Be interesting to see which performs the best between the 3430 and Snapdragon. 3430 performs normally at 600mhz, but the Snapdragon was NOT designed to be ran in a phone form factor at 1ghz. Heat and battery drain would not be practical.

I look forward to your all knowing, self-important spin :)

BTW, the Endgadget review seems fair.
LOLZZZZ!!!!! This is too funny. The Nexus One runs the snapdragon at 1ghz. LOLz. The white papers of the snapdragon CLEARLY shows the hardware that makes up the GPU and the CLEARLY state all acceleration is done via GPU hardware. Please get an education before posting again. You are wasting everyones time with your lack of knowledge.

Upvote 0
The picture of the DROID's keys peeling are a result of using a certain kind of snap case which pulls on the keys. The slider mechanism has received all sorts of comments: Like a bulldozer, sticky, loose, clicky... on and on. I do believe that sliders eventually do get loose, but as the slider is part of the overall top cover, I believe it will hold up. I try and minimize opening the keyboard unless I'm doing one of the above text intensive entries or playing NES/SNESoid.

Upvote 0
LOLZZZZ!!!!! This is too funny. The Nexus One runs the snapdragon at 1ghz. LOLz. The white papers of the snapdragon CLEARLY shows the hardware that makes up the GPU and the CLEARLY state all acceleration is done via GPU hardware. Please get an education before posting again. You are wasting everyones time with your lack of knowledge.

Link please. Also, where does it state that Nexus is running uncapped?

Thanks, self-knowing dude :)

Upvote 0
Would you stop already. The Omnia IIs resistive screen is horrible. The only way you can type on it is with your finger nails. Any capacitive screen is FAR superior.

That is what I asked- were you being specific to the tech or the device.

How is capacitive superior? I can say it would suck with some Flash content on a 4" or less screen. Especially mouse function. I do prefer a capacitive screen, but see a need for a hybrid tech that provides the function of both. Capacitive stylus are not precise at all.

Playing some Flash games on the N900 would not be possible with capacitive.

Upvote 0
I think it's public knowledge that the Snapdragon PLATFORM includes the Scorpion architecture CPU with ATI Imageon GPU along with a DSP and ISP like many other SoC designs.

I would like to see a link, since I keep hearing this, but intitial reports on the HD2, Nexus and X10 suggest the actual performance is no better than the 3430 and perhaps weaker with 3D. I have seen benchmarks that shows one chipset better than the other and no clear trend of which one, is better than the other. Just people quoting their perception of specs without practical application performance to correlate this.

As mentioned earlier, a Duke Nukem test for 2D and Quake 3 test for 3D will replace all conjecture- from all of us.

Upvote 0
Whether the Snapdragon runs at 1GHz or not - does it matter? Shouldn't the real-world performance of each phone be the comparison? If so, according to Engadget's review, the performance of the N1 was only very slightly better than the Droid, and no where near 4 million-bajillion times faster as Onion seems to think.

Oh, and LOLLLZZZZ OMG!!!!111!

Upvote 0
@Onion,

This quote's for you ;)

Industry politics aside, though, the Nexus One is at its core just another Android smartphone. It's a particularly good one, don't get us wrong -- certainly up there with the best of its breed -- but it's not in any way the Earth-shattering, paradigm-skewing device the media and community cheerleaders have built it up to be. It's a good Android phone, but not the last word -- in fact, if we had to choose between this phone or the Droid right now, we would lean towards the latter.

Upvote 0
OH PLEASE! You have got to be kidding me. You call THAT a review??? He didnt even stress the phone ONE bit to show off its superior performance. He did NO multitasking what so ever and this is where the snapdragon is going to REALLY shine.

The engadget reviewer tested the speed of the phone by launching a single app. This is laughable funny how illogical this is since the bottleneck is the flash memory being read. He did ZERO real cpu benchmarks.

You have to understand that the reviewer is NOT, I repeat NOT educated in mobile phone hardware technology nor can he even beging to comprehend the underlying technology on the phone.

His review offered NOTHING that we already didnt know. It is very clear this guy does not understand what the phone even is or how to review/test it. I find this simply laughable.

You have to understand that hes looking into the phones as an OS. Yes they basically do the same thing since they run the same basic OS and run the same apps. What the review does not understand is that the Nexus One has SUPERIOR hardware across the board yet has an ultra slim body. You would have to be out of your mind to choose the droid with useless hardware keyboard over this.

Upvote 0
Is it just me or does the Engadget review rely almost entirely on the Nexus One's performance in the web browser to put the handset down in terms of speed?

Aside from the scrolling speed in the browser and the questionable load time of their website, the N1 looks really sharp. Scrolling through menu's and swiping between home screens looks fantastic and the performance in Google maps was again top notch.

This to me points to one thing; The web browser pre loaded on the N1 is poor, yet the actual phone is great. Hardware wise it's up their as the best available handset.

Google need to sort this out ASAP along with any other glitches, but I'm confident they will as there's no doubt the phone is easily capable of 3GS performance.

Upvote 0
I just got my nexus and my friend has a droid. Multitasking on is pretty much the same. Gaming they are pretty much the same. N1 might be slightly faster but i was expecting more out of the N1

BUT things will probably change because of the RAM limitation in android Kernel. Nexus is not even using half its RAM its only utilizing 218MB of RAM at the moment. And Google is working on an update so the nexus with use all if it so nexus users should expect a boost in all around 3D performance when this happens

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=614884

And also the N1 isn't bad at all in direct sunlight its actually a tad bit better than M droid. You guys talk allot of crap when it wasn't even released yet.

And you call onion a fan boy but you fail to notice the headline to this thread ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones