• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Epic Bug List

while using camera I have had phone freeze up a few times to where no inputs but power button would work and a reset had to occur. this was in pic review and camera screen. thankfully the phone boots in seconds so it didn't really irk me
I had the same problem with the camera. Samsung uses the power button as a lock when in camera mode. Press the power button and the camera locks, if it is already locked press it again and you have all camera functions again.

Upvote 0
Yes it is confirmed
There are seven confirmed issues/bugs with Sprints Device team and the 150k 3g upload speed is one of them. There is an audio sync issue with video playback on their list (I haven't even read anyone complain about that on the major forums), GPS cache bug, and others

dont they test this stuff??
like what about people who review the phones?
i couldve seen and figured out all of this stuff in the first week of owning the phone

Upvote 0
Here are my complaints on an otherwise perfect phone

a problem I and a lot of people are having is receiving MMS messages over WiFi. You push the Download button and it fails every time. Turn off WiFi and it'll download right away, in fact i think it will come in without having to even push download.

Another little bug is some of the phones function buttons when on a call, like speaker, mute, or end call wont work after the phone comes off the proximity sensor, or theres a huge delay.

another is some call waiting or 3 way calling issues. lets say im on the phone and a call comes in, i switch over and talk to them, then switch back but the other call is still shown up on the bar. the call is hung up but you can still switch back to it and hear dead silence. if you try to hang it up it will hang up both calls. they need to fix it so that you can hang up individual calls, instead of it just dropping all calls

last one is incoming email, i have 2 yahoo accounts and 2 gmail accounts, and i cant rely on the phone to let me know of a new email, i have to check it manually. if i wait for the phone, it could take hours, i have the setting set to check every 5 minutes, changed it around to 10-15 but it doesn't work. sometimes it will act strange, say i have 25 new emails and i know its wrong, i check anyway and there's nothing new. these are my biggest issues with the phone

Upvote 0
another is some call waiting or 3 way calling issues. lets say im on the phone and a call comes in, i switch over and talk to them, then switch back but the other call is still shown up on the bar. the call is hung up but you can still switch back to it and hear dead silence. if you try to hang it up it will hang up both calls. they need to fix it so that you can hang up individual calls, instead of it just dropping all calls
Now this has been a huge issue for me since the days of the Mogul!!! I can't for the life of me get why they don't hav where u can end an individual call... HTC Mogul, Samsung Moment, & now the EPIC...(I know the Mogul isn't Samsung; I'm jus sayin)...

Upvote 0
Now this has been a huge issue for me since the days of the Mogul!!! I can't for the life of me get why they don't hav where u can end an individual call... HTC Mogul, Samsung Moment, & now the EPIC...(I know the Mogul isn't Samsung; I'm jus sayin)...

yeah I was able to hang up individual calls on my iphone, its kind of a pain to hang up both calls and call the person back just to get one person off the call

Upvote 0
I think android email stinks in general. I'll have all these emails in my mailbox and then all of a sudden nothing, and I need to "load more messages" and that takes forever. K-9 seems to do that too. It takes forever to actually open mail, and I sometimes have to exit email and enter it again before they'll open even after the little spinning icon stops. And sometimes I get force closes when I hit "show pictures" on some emails or when I try to forward some. I had some of those issues on the Moment too. Never had them on the Hero or Evo.

Upvote 0
I don't think I saw my particular issue, but I've lost all my email settings for exchange and yahoo and had to re-enter the account info. It has happened twice already and for no particular reason. Seems random. I saw another thread with someone having the same problem happen to them 4 times. Anyone else with the issue or know what the cause is?

Also, this is not a bug as much as a missing feature, but it's really annoying that the exchange email can't search for contacts on the exchange server. My Palm Pre was able to do this and I really miss it. Anyone one know if this is coming in Froyo? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I thought I must of been seeing things. Now I know for sure something is up with my Epic. At times all my bars would drop to zero and I cannot make any calls. I have to wait a few seconds later and then it jumps to 4 or 5 bars. This used to be a once ina while thing, now it's getting more and more noticeable. This is happening everyday now and all outside.

The new update has cause my phone to act very odd. I used to turn off my phone to get it to charge faster. Before I went to work today, my phone was at 92%. I turn it off and charged it while driving to work. About 15 minutes later, it dropped to 82%???? What the hell? It used to charge up to 100% by the time I get to work. Now the update has screwed it up. I did this 3 times today and each time it would drop instead of charging up.

This recent update has made my Epic worse then it helped. My battery life used to be ok, now it's horrible, worse then my old Evo. I used to make it through the day[12+ hours] with ease[40%], now it barely makes it[10%]. This is with light use of it, making a call here and there and checking facebook. Now the recent update has screwed up my Epic and I'm not too happy.

Upvote 0
I got my Epic on Friday. I like it a lot, but there's one issue that became a LOT more serious today and has the potential to become an official "fatal flaw" -- Graffiti dot-tap (punctuation-tap) gestures are totally fsck'ed. On my overclocked Hero, Graffiti worked fine. I could do my usual 30-40wpm, with instant "tap tap" periods (and tap $whatever for other symbols) basically as fast as I could hit the screen with my finger and without the slightest pause. On my Epic, I have to literally mash down my finger and hold... it... to... the... screen... for about 2 seconds to get it to register before rooting and installing SetCPU to disable CPU scaling. Now I have to hold.it.for.a.second.instead.

On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I pretty much took it as an article of faith that the dot-tap problem was due to either CPU-scaling or a bug in Graffiti itself. Then... I rooted, disabled scaling, and discovered that the problem got a lot better, but was still pretty bad. I then did more research, and found out that it's apparently an OS-level problem that affects certain *cough* phones and not others. As far as I can tell, Samsung hacked something between the kernel and input-method framework to ignore brief screen taps when they occur in a soft input area. That's great for debouncing Swype and soft keyboards, but totally destroys the usability of Graffiti.

I can't live without Graffiti. I still like having the hard keyboard to use with Connectbot, but Graffiti is what I use ~98% of the time for everything else. And now, I have ~26 days left to find and fix whatever is screwing up my dot-taps, or I'm going to have to seriously consider eating the cost of all the accessories I've bought so far and return it. I was miserable the first 6 months I had my Hero because all of the Graffiti-like input methods for it were bad (or more precisely, didn't properly recognize ALL of the original Graffiti-1 keystrokes, like backwards-v, y-as-letterside-8, g-as-letterside-6, up-right for f, etc), and having experienced real, honest to god Graffiti-1 that actually WORKED for the past 3 (with my overclocked Hero), I can't lose it again. At this point, I'm just hoping it's something that can be fixed by a custom ROM without losing my ability to run paid Market apps (which is just as bad as not being able to fix it at all).

Upvote 0
^^^ I'm a step ahead of you. I'm just listing it here to add to the quasi-official list of bugs, in the hope that *maybe* there's a setting somewhere that I've overlooked to disable Samsung's digitizer disaster.

Tomorrow, the call for help gets extended to Vibrant, Captivate, and I9000 forums as well (on the theory that they almost certainly have the exact same problem by virtue of having basically the same digitizer hardware). I kind of suspect that if *anyone* has found a solution yet (or at least knows where to look for the problem's source), it's probably the Vibrant/Captivate CM6 guys, just because they've had two more months than we have to work on the problem... and the means to take matters into their own hands and try fixing it, if possible.

Upvote 0
Sprint is tracking five major bugs and three minor bugs according to Sprats corporate "advanced Device" support. Known major issues include extremely poor up and down data speeds on 3g and poor up speeds on4g, and the serious problem switch Epics GPS.

Right now on average in the 3G the Epics data speeds are the lowest of any smartphone

I may be wrong because i read kinda fast. I think this is the only post that has GPS listed but i want to make sure that it is listed

FIX MY GPS.

I've done the cold start fix but still have to reboot or go in and out of airplane mode to get a satellite. I'm also pretty sure that if I get lost and don't have a signal my GPS will never find a satellite. (set to airplane mode with GPS on, dish blinking waited 25 min in GPS test and never saw a single sat. found five 5 second after turning off airplane mode, and boy was my phone hot) am trying to find a way to replicate my issue but will probably swap my phone out before my 30 days are up. I'm going to cry, I love this phone.

again FIX MY GPS.

Upvote 0
stingy sounds like you have either a bad phone or are nto going to be satisfied becasue the remaining GPS bugs probably cnnot b fixed. The cold start method fixed my agps cache problems and those of scores of others. we began testing two weeks ago . those testing were using testing apps.

there are other gps issues, but the expired cache is fixed with the workaround of using cold start as default.

You probably want to try a replacement epic and if that is no good a different model altoghether

Reactions: Stringyquark
Upvote 0
Thanks Aero, I'm kinda scared to exchange. When the gps works it gets much better accuracy then the reported 30m. I love this phone and really want to just have samsung and sprint acknowledge these issues since most of the answers I've received are from very helpful people like you spending way to much of there free time addressing these issues.(and I would like to thank you and all the others that have helped) THANKS SO MUCH ALL OF YOU! I wish you got royalties for fixing or doing your best to remedy these problems. I just wish there were more help on sprints and samsungs web sites. It seems that they got it mostly working and are just trying to hide the rest of it.it really pisses me off.

Upvote 0
I actually prefer Maildroid. A little cleaner, but it's still in beta. My point is more that I'd rather avoid using 3rd party programs for things that should be done properly on a smartphone. Email is one of those things. The answer shouldn't always be to download such and such program. Google should try getting certain things right and not rely on 3rd parties to make up for their shortcomings. Email is so basic and gmail gets the red carpet treatment while all the rest suffer. To assume people will use the same signature between personal and business email doesn't make much sense. And I don't recall having that issue on my Moment. Though I could be wrong because they used Moxier for Exchange so it was separate email apps for webmail and exchange.

Upvote 0
Update: I got in touch with Access. They're getting an Epic to test :) I'm still cautiously optimistic about whether or not they'll be able to fix it, or whether it'll end up being a side effect of something Samsung screwed up that can't be fixed without the cooperation of Samsung or worked-around by a normal Android app on a non-rooted phone, but at least they'll hopefully know one way or another in time for me to exchange for an Evo if getting Graffiti to work on the Epic is likely to end up being hopeless.

Bug: Three times in two days, I've had my phone become unresponsive with a dark screen. At least one of them happened after I opened the keyboard while the display was off... I'm pretty sure the other two did, too. The only way to wake it back up was to take out the battery. I can't say for sure, though, that it's not due to something else, like maybe having the phone switch between 4G and 3G during background network activity while the screen is off.

Bug: I can't get Samsung's email client or Maildroid to allow me to set up my email. Both refuse to continue because they can't connect to the SMTP server. The SMTP server uses POP-before-SMTP, and blocks IP addresses that haven't been associated with a successful POP3 login during the previous 90 minutes. Both email apps apparently refuse to even attempt a POP3 login until they've successfully connected to the SMTP server. Chicken, meet egg. HOWEVER, it might be a deeper problem. At one point yesterday, I tried to telnet directly to the POP3 server using Connectbot in an attempt to get it to successfully do a POP3 login and unblock my phone's IP address long enough to get past the SMTP validation. When I tried, I was able to establish a connection via Telnet to port 110, but the USER and PASS commands were either ignored or silently failed. In either case, Maildroid worked fine on my Hero, though I *do* remember going through a bit of drama to get past the chicken-egg problem when I set up the account).

Upvote 0
The only problem I can think of with my phone is the screen timeout. I have changed the timeout and the display brightness. However sometimes whlie Im using the phone the screen will darken, like its about to go black. But then it never does and it stays dark, sometimes it will brighten back up in a few seconds, or I just forget and the next time I looks at it its fine again

Upvote 0
The only problem I can think of with my phone is the screen timeout. I have changed the timeout and the display brightness. However sometimes whlie Im using the phone the screen will darken, like its about to go black. But then it never does and it stays dark, sometimes it will brighten back up in a few seconds, or I just forget and the next time I looks at it its fine again
thatz Auto Brightness working as it should ;)

Upvote 0
I have a new Epic and any time I shoot a video, then play it back, the audio is ultra-quiet for the first 15 seconds. After that, it returns to normal and sounds great.

Any fixes out there or ideas on what to do?

Media volume is maxed.
I have audio recording enabled.
I have tried the 'reset' option - no help.
I have experimented with different video resolutions - no help.

RESOLVED: Exchanged phone (PITA) and new one works...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones