• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Car Mount for Google Navi

man lol this is so big. i want a something discreet! haha
I got the universal mount from verizon - $20. It's got a long gooseneck attached to the suction cup. The phone holder is vise-like and can rotate. I like it because you can position the phone almost anywhere by bending the gooseneck. It helps because a lot of newer windshields have a steep slope to deal with.

Reactions: wiscmike
Upvote 0
I got the universal mount from verizon - $20. It's got a long gooseneck attached to the suction cup. The phone holder is vise-like and can rotate. I like it because you can position the phone almost anywhere by bending the gooseneck. It helps because a lot of newer windshields have a steep slope to deal with.

Can you take any pics of it in action with your Eris in it? I am now interested in getting a head start before the OTA 2.X comes out and this is something i would def be looking into. Thanks.

Upvote 0
A car dock has definitely become a hot item for the Eris since getting navigation...I also want to use it for playing Pandora and Slacker. I like the permanent solutions but no way on $100+ for a dock. I'm gonna look at the one you posted Karib.

Edit: Okay Karib...do you know the people or did you flirt to get the free swivel?

Upvote 0
Daylight Photos of Proclip Install

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC01591.jpg
    DSC01591.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC01592.jpg
    DSC01592.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC01593.jpg
    DSC01593.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC01594.jpg
    DSC01594.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC01601.jpg
    DSC01601.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: briandoc
Upvote 0
Thats the cool thing with this mount. The clip that attaches to the vent can be changed out if you switch cars. The clip is 30 dollars and I can't tell you how solid this mount is. The tension is adjustable at the swivel. I know the mount is expensive. A buddy of mine has one in his BMW and looking at his sold me on it. When I saw the kit I was like my wife at the shoe store, I just had to have it!!!! :D

Jeff

Upvote 0
A car dock has definitely become a hot item for the Eris since getting navigation...I also want to use it for playing Pandora and Slacker. I like the permanent solutions but no way on $100+ for a dock. I'm gonna look at the one you posted Karib.

Edit: Okay Karib...do you know the people or did you flirt to get the free swivel?

Ha ha, I actually got it for free because they forgot to put the magnet in mine. I ordered it with one because i originally had the moto droid. Anyways, they gave it to me for fee because of the mix up. Its an awesome setup though, easy to install too. I had to take off the dash and the panel behind the stereo to gain access to the place it needs too attach. But it attached with only one bolt that is completely hidden behind the plastic!

Upvote 0
Ha ha, I actually got it for free because they forgot to put the magnet in mine. I ordered it with one because i originally had the moto droid. Anyways, they gave it to me for fee because of the mix up. Its an awesome setup though, easy to install too. I had to take off the dash and the panel behind the stereo to gain access to the place it needs too attach. But it attached with only one bolt that is completely hidden behind the plastic!

Ha! So funny on having to tear your dash apart for one screw but the install is very clean though. Looks nice. Now....I just need them to mess up my order so I can get a free swivel. :D

Jetmtd..did you pay $100 for the kit and install or did you pay that for the kit alone?

Upvote 0
Jetmtd..did you pay $100 for the kit and install or did you pay that for the kit alone?

Paid exactly $118. Install I did myself took about 30 minutes or so. Used "Add A Circuit" to tap power from the fuse box. Very cool way to complete install. Allows you to add a device without splicing into the factory wiring harness. You just find something that is powered only when your car is running (Like most cigarette lighters). Insert Add A Circuit into fuse block and whatever fuse you removed you put into that first slot and the one with a wire runs to whatever you are providing power to. I bought my circuit at Autozone about 7 bucks I think. There are cheaper kits available. Look here: ProClip Mounting System

Attachments

• Add A Circuit.jpg
    Add A Circuit.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: alprazolam
Upvote 0
Paid exactly $118. Install I did myself took about 30 minutes or so. Used "Add A Circuit" to tap power from the fuse box. Very cool way to complete install. Allows you to add a device without splicing into the factory wiring harness. You just find something that is powered only when your car is running (Like most cigarette lighters). Insert Add A Circuit into fuse block and whatever fuse you removed you put into that first slot and the one with a wire runs to whatever you are providing power to. I bought my circuit at Autozone about 7 bucks I think. There are cheaper kits available. Look here: ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

perfect for many things....

Upvote 0

Any pics on this one? $20 is more my style. If I were to spend over a C note when I got my phone for free, it would simply bug the crap out of me.

Upvote 0
Daylight Photos of Proclip Install

Jeff

I do like this look of this install the best by far, especially that there is integrated direct power at the holster.

My question is this . . . what would be the best way to stream music from this configuration?

Currently, I drive a 2009 Mazda 6. In the center console, there's an audio input (headphone jack) as well as an extra cigarette-style outlet for charging. I currently use a Verizon car charger for both my Eris and Blackberry and I use the audio input for the Eris to stream music files, Pandora, DroidLive, and GrooveShark. Unfortunately, I do not have any Bluetooth capability.

Think the best way to do this would be to get an extra long headphone cord and try to run it under the dash, then underneath and into the center console?

I really like the look of the mount and would love to ditch the Magellan GPS I'm borrowing from my brother, but I want to make sure I keep my musical dominance available.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
I do like this look of this install the best by far, especially that there is integrated direct power at the holster.

My question is this . . . what would be the best way to stream music from this configuration?

Have you seen this:
Amazon.com: OEM 3.5mm 2.5mm Headset Adapter Converter: Electronics

It lets you hook up power and headphone cable (or headset if you prefer) through the one mini-USB connection. It works great for me - I have power coming from the lighter and the headphone connector goes to the stereo. I no longer get the big squelch sound when I used to plug into the headphone jack. My issue has been finding a stable mount that I can attach this to easily...

Upvote 0
I am cheap. In my 18 wheeler I use a square of velcro on the dash and another on on the back of my verizon holster. 2500 to 3000 miles a week and it has not came off yet!

Cheap is my middle name. Holster? That sounds expensive. I like the $5.99 thing but it is way fugly. The cone looking thing coming out of it looks like a speakeasy.

Upvote 0
I have the window mount verizon unit too. ahd it for my versa before, and now use it for my eirs, or my wife's droid. bends, and rotates. very stable. We also sell one that has an adhesive base and vent mount in the same box. Both units are $20. And the window suction mount has never popped off on me, and I've moved it from an RV to my wifes car and mine depending on what trip we're taking.
window_mount.png

combo_mount.png

Upvote 0
Peter Frampton?? Yikes, no wonder you need Pandora.

LOL I like classic rock and XM is really cool, I tend to change channels a bunch. If I would have taken that picture this afternoon it would have been on XM 115 (Disney Channel) with Miley Cyrus rocking the Saab :eek:. My daughter gets her channel on the way home from school on Tuesday's and Thursday's.

Jeff

Upvote 0

Currently, I drive a 2009 Mazda 6. In the center console, there's an audio input (headphone jack) as well as an extra cigarette-style outlet for charging. I currently use a Verizon car charger for both my Eris and Blackberry and I use the audio input for the Eris to stream music files, Pandora, DroidLive, and GrooveShark. Unfortunately, I do not have any Bluetooth capability.

Think the best way to do this would be to get an extra long headphone cord and try to run it under the dash, then underneath and into the center console?

I really like the look of the mount and would love to ditch the Magellan GPS I'm borrowing from my brother, but I want to make sure I keep my musical dominance available.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I looked at many different options when I installed mine. I removed the center vent and thought about running my hardwire for my phone mount kit through the vent. My Saab has a GM radio in it which means I'm stuck with the Aux plug on the bottom right face of the head unit. I'm looking at adding a plug on the back of the radio to allow me to plug into the head unit sight unseen. If I were you I would run your hardwire for power lead and Aux cable together. I was able to run my hardwire along the top edge of the Dash bezel and down to the center console, you can't see the cable in that position. You just have to take a look. I would recommend checking out a Mazda forum and search the forum for others that have successfuly installed a hardwire in the location that you are looking at. Most car forums are a wealth of knowledge, and the members are usually helpful.

Good Luck
Jeff

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones