• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris owners: R U switching? (incredible due 4/29!!)

We're gonna have some sad people that do jump ship. I'm sure it'll be the same people that didn't do their research the first time around with the Eris which is why they're unhappy in the first place.

Stronger processor, more RAM, yet still, a 1300mAh battery? Wanna guess what else has crappier specs, gives you a headache, and the same battery?

If I have to deal with the crappy battery, I'd rather do it with a faster processor, less lag, and a supported 2.1 OS.

Upvote 0
You can keep the Alltel plan and just extend your contract. Thats what we did. Didn't want to give up the 20 circle numbers we have.
What what??! I can keep my Alltel plan when I "renew" with a new phone?? wow that sounds too good to be true. I've spoken with a few Verizon reps that come to work every month and I swear she always tells me I'll need to switch to a Verizon plan when I upgrade a phone...? Is she BS'ing me or not telling me the whole truth?

Upvote 0
Nah, I've simmered down a bit about upgrading my phone. I'll sign my contract over to someone if they want it, but I'm not putting any energy into it. Most of us are at the point in our relationships with our phones where realize we aren't getting any younger, and soon the overall capacity of the battery will slowly decrease. There will be times when the lag gets to you and, in a sudden lapse of judgment, you whip it across the room and against the wall. Sure. You act like you don't care about if it's hurt or not, but two minutes later you get up and check to see if you cracked its screen.

You pick it up and tell it it will never happen again, it was an accident. It will always have the mark on the corner, though, the slight swapping of paint with the wall, that tiny white streek..just above its golden "Verizon" emblem. To remind you. Of your desire for another phone after already committing to this one for two years. Breaking up with this one will be costly. $175 ETF. Could be a long process. Plus, there's always the question of who keeps the accessories, the new owner or you. SD card had some great memories. Plus, the cost of a new phone at full price is never fun. That all the new accessories It brings over into this new relationship. Will they be compatible with your computer? Do you have to install new software? Who knows?

I'm playing it safe, for now. I'll just chill. Soon as two years are up:
sephiroth_killing_aeris.jpg

FF7, for all you Mondays that don't get it.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
Stronger processor, more RAM, yet still, a 1300mAh battery? Wanna guess what else has crappier specs, gives you a headache, and the same battery?
Same 1300mhz battery yet 4-5 times faster, larger screen, more RAM, and guess what else....the Incredible has SUPERIOR battery life.

How can this be????? You are asking. Well Ill tell you...

Eris uses almost 3 year old CPU and chipset.

Eris: old 90nm transistors with no dynamic clock speeds and obsolete in-order CPU design.

Incredible: newer 65nm transistors with dynamic clock with modern out-of-order CPU design.

Yes, with the Incredible you get hardware 4 times faster and superior battery life. That is how outdated the hardware is in the Eris.

Reactions: OldSmoky
Upvote 0
Nah, I've simmered down a bit about upgrading my phone. I'll sign my contract over to someone if they want it, but I'm not putting any energy into it. Most of us are at the point in our relationships with our phones where realize we aren't getting any younger, and soon the overall capacity of the battery will slowly decrease. There will be times when the lag gets to you and, in a sudden lapse of judgment, you whip it across the room and against the wall. Sure. You act like you don't care about if it's hurt or not, but two minutes later you get up and check to see if you cracked its screen.

You pick it up and tell it it will never happen again, it was an accident. It will always have the mark on the corner, though, the slight swapping of paint with the wall, that tiny white streek..just above its golden "Verizon" emblem. To remind you. Of your desire for another phone after already committing to this one for two years. Breaking up with this one will be costly. $175 ETF. Could be a long process. Plus, there's always the question of who keeps the accessories, the new owner or you. SD card had some great memories. Plus, the cost of a new phone at full price is never fun. That all the new accessories It brings over into this new relationship. Will they be compatible with your computer? Do you have to install new software? Who knows?

I'm playing it safe, for now. I'll just chill. Soon as two years are up:
sephiroth_killing_aeris.jpg

FF7, for all you Mondays that don't get it.

I couldn't have put it better if I tried!!!!!

Upvote 0
I keep hearing about the 768MHz processor, but the leaked user's guide says it's 1GHz. I wonder if they're just glossing over the fact that it's been underclocked.
The CPU in the incredible is not underclocked and runs at 1ghz. Frisco is simply wrong. Yes the incredible has better battery life than the Eris even with the same 1300mah battery.

Upvote 0
Same 1300mhz battery yet 4-5 times faster, larger screen, more RAM, and guess what else....the Incredible has SUPERIOR battery life.

How can this be????? You are asking. Well Ill tell you...

Eris uses almost 3 year old CPU and chipset.

Eris: old 90nm transistors with no dynamic clock speeds and obsolete in-order CPU design.

Incredible: newer 65nm transistors with dynamic clock with modern out-of-order CPU design.

Yes, with the Incredible you get hardware 4 times faster and superior battery life. That is how outdated the hardware is in the Eris.

Can it run Crysis?

Upvote 0

You know, Artie, the voice I'm beginning to hear in my head when I read your posts is that of someone who narrated educational films in the late 1950s.

You still haven't told us what wonderful piece of hardware you're running, because it ain't an Incredible.

--Mark

Upvote 0
Sounds like BS to me. On my account, I have 3 lines. Alltel plan, and I renewed 2 of the lines to Verizon equipment, keeping the Alltel plan. Although some of the BOGO requires NEW service, they may try to get you to swithc to a Verizon plan which would count as a new service account. If you want to keep the Alltel plan, just tell them. If they can't, go somewhere else. I have even done it at an agent store so the corp. store is not the only way.

What what??! I can keep my Alltel plan when I "renew" with a new phone?? wow that sounds too good to be true. I've spoken with a few Verizon reps that come to work every month and I swear she always tells me I'll need to switch to a Verizon plan when I upgrade a phone...? Is she BS'ing me or not telling me the whole truth?

Reactions: DonDraper
Upvote 0
Sounds like BS to me. On my account, I have 3 lines. Alltel plan, and I renewed 2 of the lines to Verizon equipment, keeping the Alltel plan. Although some of the BOGO requires NEW service, they may try to get you to swithc to a Verizon plan which would count as a new service account. If you want to keep the Alltel plan, just tell them. If they can't, go somewhere else. I have even done it at an agent store so the corp. store is not the only way.

Ok awesome - this is great to hear!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones