• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ES File Explorer and OneDrive

ES File Explorer is unsafe … you granted it permission to send your personal data to the company's home office.

I use …
Solid Explorer File Manager – manipulate device folders and files
X-plore File Manager – manipulate device and cloud folders and files

I use Solid almost all the time and find the user interface to X-plore to not be intuativly obvious.

… Thom

Upvote 0
Try going into your OneDrive settings and re-do the sharing:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026385/windows-see-your-onedrive-files-in-file-explorer

Assuming you're using the Pro version of ES File Explorer, or you have a real high tolerance for ads. As others have alluded to, there a plenty of better and not as dodgy alternatives. At one time, ES was one of the best file manager apps available, but those days are long gone. Whenever I see some article still recommending ES as a top choice, I shudder at the ignorance of that article's author. There are any number of more enlightened, current, and insightful write-ups on that app's decline. Seriously, give some thought to uninstalling it and moving on to a better alternative.

Upvote 0
If Microsoft did re-do its API for OneDrive, then it's just a matter of waiting for the developers of those third-party apps to comply with whatever alterations that occurred.
Have you tried using Microsoft's OneDrive app to exchange files with your OneDrive account? When MS does make any changes to its online storage service in the background, their own app would most likely be one of the first to get updated. (Well, hopefully.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en_US

Upvote 0
IMG_20190115_101326.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming you're using the Pro version of ES File Explorer, or you have a real high tolerance for ads. As others have alluded to, there a plenty of better and not as dodgy alternatives. At one time, ES was one of the best file manager apps available, but those days are long gone. Whenever I see some article still recommending ES as a top choice, I shudder at the ignorance of that article's author. There are any number of more enlightened, current, and insightful write-ups on that app's decline. Seriously, give some thought to uninstalling it and moving on to a better alternative.

I have tried multiple other apps, ES File Explorer is by far the best for me (multi-windows, no whistles and bells, everything is done effectively, real dark theme with no flashy icons, you name it).

I hope their onedrive issue will be resolved soon.

Reactions: pete paris
Upvote 0
It’s not just ES File Explorer that’s affected. A wide range of other Android File managers including those listed by the afficianados above are also giving the same error messages. So let’s not turn a generic OneDrive issue into a beauty contest.

On the more positive side I’ve just sent the following to OneDrive support (odrvhelp@microsoft.com)

“Are you aware that a wide range of 3rd party Android file management apks which include an interface facility to connect to OneDrive user accounts stopped working a week or so ago?

Essentially they all report that the specified user account cannot now be found. Clearly something has changed recently at the OneDrive end since all these apps worked perfectly until recently. A key example is the widely used Android ES File Manager although a number of other apps have the same problem.

As far as I am aware iOS apps are not affected and seem to still work.

I appreciate that this is a question of the app needing to catch up with something you have changed. Nonetheless you should be aware that this is a major inconvenience to many OneDrive users with Android devices.

Hopefully something can be done about it especially as the OneDrive apk itself is not so user friendly.”

Maybe those affected could do the same?

:)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
It’s not just ES File Explorer that’s affected. A wide range of other Android File managers including those listed by the afficianados above are also giving the same error messages. So let’s not turn a generic OneDrive issue into a beauty contest.
:)

Oddly enough, I have tried some other apps and they are dealing fine with onedrive.

The issue with ES File Explorer remains yet.

Upvote 0
Oddly enough, I have tried some other apps and they are dealing fine with onedrive.

The issue with ES File Explorer remains yet.

Sadly this is not at all my experience to date. Moreover google play reviews of many ES alternatives in the last week report the failure to connect to OneDrive due to their using an API which is no longer supported by MS. I know that FE still works but it seems quite inferior and difficult to use with FireTV. Hence it would be very useful if you could give a us a list of those that you have tested and still work.

Upvote 0
Sadly this is not at all my experience to date. Moreover google play reviews of many ES alternatives in the last week report the failure to connect to OneDrive due to their using an API which is no longer supported by MS. I know that FE still works but it seems quite inferior and difficult to use with FireTV. Hence it would be very useful if you could give a us a list of those that you have tested and still work.

No issue whatsoever with X-plore, for instance. Don't want to reload all the other explorers because you haven't tried by yourself, they've been working fine. Have you ever tried one at least? Why don't you check by yourself?

The issue is only ES File Explorer related.

Upvote 0
No issue whatsoever with X-plore, for instance. Don't want to reload all the other explorers because you haven't tried by yourself, they've been working fine. Have you ever tried one at list? Why don't you check by yourself?

The issue is ES File Explorer only related.
Thanks. I will try Xplore if it’s the only one you mention. Does it work on Samsung tablets and FireTV?

But what you say about ES being the only one affected is quite untrue. Those I’ve noted as no longer working to date for the same reason include Solid, Amaze, and Astro.

A pity some forum members can’t be more constructive.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
Thanks. I will try Xplore if it’s the only one you mention. Does it work on Samsung tablets and FireTV?

But what you say about ES being the only one affected is quite untrue. Those I’ve noted as no longer working to date for the same reason include Solid, Amaze, and Astro.

A pity some forum members can’t be more constructive.

I should add that according to GP reviews X-plore did stop working for the same reason but got fixed last week. For my specific uses (Tablet and FireTV) it’s not at all a suitable ES replacement though. So I will keep looking.

Upvote 0
I should add that according to GP reviews X-plore did stop working for the same reason but got fixed last week. For my specific uses (Tablet and FireTV) it’s not at all a suitable ES replacement though. So I will keep looking.

I wrote to the ES developers this morning pointing out the problem. They replied as follows:

“Sorry, the onedrive network disk api expires, you need to re-access the api, this may take some time, please be patient. very sorry for the inconvenience!”

Till then I’m using Google Drive and Dropbox as a workaround with ES.

Upvote 0
Thanks all. Had gotten very used to ES Explorer even though I'd read all the info about how bad it had gotten, it had been hard to change. Main things I liked about ES explorer, and needed..... when "sharing" on my android device, es explorer was one of the options that popped up, allowing me to copy stuff directly to my local NAS from the phone via the share option. I have 2 one drive accounts... work and personal. I use the one drive app for the work, and ES Explorer allowed me to login to a separate OneDrive account, thus making it was easier to access it without having to switch back and forth on the accounts within onedrive. ES Explorer also had great ease of use. I decided to try Xplore. Was very happy to see it could do all the things I've mentioned, and quite easily. Leaving ES Explorer on phone for now, but will be using Xplore. I anticipate finally being able to remove ES. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW.... Xplore IS working with onedrive, where ES Explorer was not. I haven't tried any others.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones