• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo 4G to Boost Mobile Guide/Evo 3D

ok im back for help again,,my phone has been flashed for a week now and out of nowhere im getting a error 16 when maken a phone call,,i still have data just getting a error 16 when maken phone call, what step should i do
Your easiest thing to do is log in to boost mobile web site and go to update phone tab, enter in a valid esn that is not in use for 5 to 10 mins then switch back to your donors esn.

Reactions: surmiklo13
Upvote 0
To check you bootloader version, first hit menu/settings>apps>uncheck the fastboot option..--you may not have this, if not dont worry.
Power down phone...wait a few seconds, hold volume down and press power at the same time...the screen that comes up is your bootloader screen..post that info here.
As far as updates, you can flash an updated rom if you are rooted.

I figured out how to check it thanks. It does say "S-Off". But I dont know how to install a Rom. Where can I find 2.3? I don't need to back up my phone or anything, hasn't been in use. I've been looking for android 2.3 and a youtube video and/or clear instructions.

Upvote 0
I am stuck on round 5, I cant for the life of me find EVO ROOT Universal Auto Root w/ rom and 2.15.00.11.19 to download.

And for some reason I have tried to micro usb cables to connect to the evo, and I have tried two different ones and it doesn't do anything, it just charges, doesn't ask me to connect to the disk. any help, thanks!

Upvote 0
I am stuck on round 5, I cant for the life of me find EVO ROOT Universal Auto Root w/ rom and 2.15.00.11.19 to download.

And for some reason I have tried to micro usb cables to connect to the evo, and I have tried two different ones and it doesn't do anything, it just charges, doesn't ask me to connect to the disk. any help, thanks!

try this go to settings/connect to pc and see if ask me usb connection in cheaked

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I figured out how to check it thanks. It does say "S-Off". But I dont know how to install a Rom. Where can I find 2.3? I don't need to back up my phone or anything, hasn't been in use. I've been looking for android 2.3 and a youtube video and/or clear instructions.
ok this is the 2.3.3 stock update from htc I think.
http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public....15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe
all you need to do is plug the phone in and run this it will update the phone.

If the instruction from the previous poster doesnt get you connected you may need to install the htc drivers
You dont need to change the rom or use that universal root.
Round 6:
Follow these steps in exact order.
1. Download and install the QPST Build 366 of version 2.7 and the HxD, and the latest Android SDK from the following link: Android SDK | Android Developers
2. Put the phone in USB debugging mode by going to settings/ applications/ development and check in where it says USB debugging, also it is helpful to check stay awake so you can see the phone processes while working.
3. Go to phone and dial ##3424# to access Diagnostics mode the computer will need the appropriate drivers to continue, once installed move on to the next step.
5. Open your device manager from the control panel, and locate your com ports, expand the com port section and you will see the port for HTC DIAGNOSTICS.
6. Open QPST Configuration and add the new port for the HTC, then close configuration.
7. Open EFS Explorer from the start menu under QPST and make sure the phone is showing up then, Enter the SPC code and press OK.
8. Once the phone reads completely make a new directory named (open sesame door) without the parentheses and all lower case
9. After making the new folder locate abd.exe from the android sdk install folder and press: start, run and type cmd then press enter you will get a command prompt window that opens up navigate to the android sdk directory and type; adb reboot, the phone should then reboot if you

Upvote 0
try this go to settings/connect to pc and see if ask me usb connection in cheaked

Yes, I forgot to mention that I did check out the settings and it was checked. Another thing when I was trying to usb fast boot, at the very beginning where you you press the volume down and power, I don't get the usb fast boot option.

It looks like I might be stuck now :( Could this be a software/rom related problem? Is there a way to reinstall the current sprint rom or down grade by memory card, I can still take out the micro card and connect to a computer and copy that way.

Any more advice would be appreciated, thanks! Should I post this question elsewhere?

Upvote 0
http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public....15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe

If the instruction from the previous poster doesnt get you connected you may need to install the htc drivers
This is the important part of it for what your trying.

I wrote this one page ago but it seems like what your needing.
This is only from farther up the page you should do a bit more reading :D

Getting to round 5 took me like 3 hours, and I was just getting frustrated and learning at the same time. Thanks, I will try this. Oh and I have installed the drivers from htc as well, and still doesn't see the evo, but still charges.

I will download and try to see if it works.

Upvote 0
Getting to round 5 took me like 3 hours, and I was just getting frustrated and learning at the same time. Thanks, I will try this. Oh and I have installed the drivers from htc as well, and still doesn't see the evo, but still charges.

I will download and try to see if it works.

Okay, just finished the download, ran the ruu and I received a USB error, my guess is it doesn't see the phone. I will try to do the second suggestion and will update.

Looks like I am up the creek now, PC doesn't detect the phone, charging works fine, tried two different cables, turned on debegging, checked option to ask what to use when using a computer. When I go into HBoot loader, and into fastboot, I have to USB fastboot option.

Another update, I am downloading PC36IMG.zip file to flash via hboot, http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/HTC_EVO_4G_Downloads#Rooted_Stock_ROMs

I hope this will solve my issue. Which version do I download in order to get a rooted version to be safe?

UPdate:
Just tried the latest PC36IMG.zip HBOOT update, and it failed because of being an older version. I have HBoot version 2.18.

Upvote 0

This is the important part of it for what your trying.

I wrote this one page ago but it seems like what your needing.
This is only from farther up the page you should do a bit more reading :D

Thank you sooooo much for this. I have upgraded to android 2.3.3 and also rerooted (which is what I wanted to do). So now I'm back on track with flashing but when I do the "prl_0" my esn isn't listed, some are close but not mine. So what do I do in this situation? (I can't believe this!!! This ONE number!!! :mad:)

Also qpst efs explorer still gives me that runtime error when I try to do step 12 on round 6.

This is an awesome forum, I REALLY appreciate all this help and fast response. I look forward to being able to help some others on here.... :D

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
SO I am at round 9, since round 7 didn't have my correct radio band. I did the scan of the two locations and got two files back, I have no clue on what to do from here on to zero out the numbers, Please help, I am almost there.

Below is a sample of

ESN addresses:
00FA:2BB8
00FA:4484
00FB:5600
00FC:5600

How do I find the location in service programming, I tried the hex calculator way and didn't find anything, all of them were already zeroes. So for the first one, I searched 0x00FA2BB8, is this correct?

Upvote 0
Okkkkk...soooo. My phone is flashed! YAY!!! :D :rock: BUT :thinking: I cannot make calls(says account cannot be validated). The only thing working is the internet (pretty fast too). But if I try to update my prl or profile it says something like no data service which I don't understand because I have internet.

But after rereading the steps I realized I didn't update the files(NV files & Nam files) after I had to upgrade(to android 2.3.3) and reroot. Do I have to add those files to Evo again or it would still be there from writing it to it prior to upgrading?

Also, do I need to write the donor phone's spc to the evo? If so, how do I do that?

And when I do ##3282# the profile says 1 instead of 0 and when I changed it and the phone restarted. I checked again and it said 1 again...:thinking:

Almost there...
Thanks for all the help...:)

Upvote 0
Ok, i rewrited the bc items and man files. I changed the active profile to 0 again in the woeful but its not writing to the phone. When I read the phone it says active profile 1. I also get an error message..."NV Write Error NV_Ue_imei_i" status "NV_Readonly_s".

Is this the reason I can't make calls? If not please help with that as well. And no mms (changed the ##3282# get a random sms error message.

Again ALWAYS appreciate all the help look forward to helping when i get this straight.

Oh! And when I try to put my gmail account in, I get an error saying can't connect to google server. My internet is working fine (typing from my EVO) so I don't understand. I'm able to setup my other email accounts fine...

PLEASE HELP!!! :thinking:

Upvote 0
one thing that stands out.
check the meid on the evo and make sure it matches the donor phone exactly.
Also when you say your posting using the evo are you sure its not using a wifi connection?

I have seen if you have the HA and AAA keys correct and as long as your donor phone is not also on and connected the evo could use the internet but still have wrong esn.

Upvote 0
SO I am at round 9, since round 7 didn't have my correct radio band. I did the scan of the two locations and got two files back, I have no clue on what to do from here on to zero out the numbers, Please help, I am almost there.

Below is a sample of

ESN addresses:
00FA:2BB8
00FA:4484
00FB:5600
00FC:5600

How do I find the location in service programming, I tried the hex calculator way and didn't find anything, all of them were already zeroes. So for the first one, I searched 0x00FA2BB8, is this correct?
That way to do it is very difficult and very very time consuming why not use the evo 3d way, as I posted previously all you do is use QPST efs explorer and drag out 2 files open them in winhex and change the values to 000's then copy them back to the phone overwriting the existing files.
Then use QXDM to write the new esn.

Reactions: eripey
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones