• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO V 4G Price Reduced

WiMax will see no further expansion and will be dismantled some time after 2014.

Does this mean all the WiMax phones will no longer work in a year or two? Think that will cause an uproar among the public that does not change phones all the time like our forum members do... :D I know some people that keep a phone till it breaks and are not interested in being on the "bleeding edge".

Upvote 0
Dude, that's technology, I can still remember, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, all of the carriers switched to digital and suddenly your analog phone was completely useless. This only affects 4G on a limited number of phones, your phone will still be functional. Remember having to put that $500 Trinitron in the basement because the US finally switched to digital television? :rolleyes:
OB

Upvote 0
Dude, that's technology, I can still remember, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, all of the carriers switched to digital and suddenly your analog phone was completely useless. This only affects 4G on a limited number of phones, your phone will still be functional. Remember having to put that $500 Trinitron in the basement because the US finally switched to digital television? :rolleyes:
OB

So the wimax phones will still use 3G, just no 4G after the change? That would probably be ok for the people that are not interested in the latest technology...

BTW, I have a Hitachi 51" 1080 HD TV that can't pick up the digital OTA signals. Great TV, just have to go thru cable box.... :)

Upvote 0
When 4g disappears it will be a sad day.

Im in love with 4g and intend to enjoy it while I can. I easily get 5-7mbps in my area ;)

By the time that WiMax disappears, you'll have LTE coverage with 3-4 times those speeds. Progress my friend, Sprint was the first to offer 4G, unfortunately first doesn't equate to best when you end up backing the wrong horse. :D:rolleyes:
OB

Upvote 0
By the time that WiMax disappears, you'll have LTE coverage with 3-4 times those speeds. Progress my friend, Sprint was the first to offer 4G, unfortunately first doesn't equate to best when you end up backing the wrong horse. :D:rolleyes:
OB

More like a camel rather than a horse. :rolleyes:
Wimax is too slow compared to everything else like hsdpa, lte, umts, etc.

I hope lte becomes as common as 3g. They said they'll expand it to that point.

Upvote 0
Remember, you have through 2014 with WiMax. How long do you want to keep this phone anyway? I have mine 2 months. Something else will come along.

This is also true. I used to buy a device and then obsess over cases, screen protectors, insurance etc. By device #2 (WinMo 6 phone - urghhh), I realized that I never had a device long enough to cause any damage. Then I would sell my pristine $400 device on eBay for $25 because it was 'outdated'.
:)

Upvote 0
The best question to ask is what plan are you on right now at this time, and what are you spending per month oh phone service? If you're on a month to month and out of contract, you're probably paying close to $90/mo for your Android phone. If you're already on prepaid, then you're paying about half that.

For anyone who is paying $90/mo...waiting for a sale is only going to cost you more money. Getting it for $99, $149, or $179 makes little difference if you're wasting $50 for every month that you stay on your current plan.

Just be sure you know the start and end dates of your monthly term. Sprint DOES NOT pro-rate. if you switch service 1 day into your next term...you owe them a whole month.

BTW, I can save over 25% off the top up price by going to discount vendors. I pay $32.99 for the $45 plan. This saves me about $60/mo over what I paid with Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones