• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook, anyway to stop it from running in background?

Murf1

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2012
Indiana
I am not rooted. I use Greenify app. When ever I hit the manual "Hibernate Now" widget, it always has to kill Facebook - regardless of whether I have started it. Apparently FB feels the need to rule supreme on my phone!
I have all FB notifications turned off. So why does this incredibly bloated app feel the need to run all the time - for what "useful" purpose?

Is there any way on a non-rooted phone to deny an app the ability to just start itself up (unless you click it's icon)?

thanks

I am not rooted. I use Greenify app. When ever I hit the manual "Hibernate Now" widget, it always has to kill Facebook - regardless of whether I have started it. Apparently FB feels the need to rule supreme on my phone!
I have all FB notifications turned off. So why does this incredibly bloated app feel the need to run all the time - for what "useful" purpose?

Is there any way on a non-rooted phone to deny an app the ability to just start itself up (unless you click it's icon)?

thanks
If u can manage to get sd.maid pro or 3cTools (android.tuner) paid vers..
U can stop toggle.auto.start off that'll do

Attachments

• 1440090760897.jpg
    1440090760897.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 565
Reactions: 209pcs and KOLIO
Upvote 0
This may be clunky, but I don't use the app, I use the browser. Problem solved.

That's an awesome idea. I just tried it for the mobile site and mine isn't clunky at all. Runs the same speed as the app for me. I think I will uninstall the app and start using mobile site. Now to put a shortcut on my home screen to go directly to it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
I
I'm using Chrome and it seems pretty snappy. Gonna try using mobile sites instead of apps now for other places like eBay, Amazon, NewEgg...

I don't use apps for ANY site I can access online. Saves space and battery. Not sure about Chrome but some browsers create bookmark widgets. There also may be an app requiring access to basically nothing that creates them.

Reactions: AP2FTW and Murf1
Upvote 0
I
I don't use apps for ANY site I can access online. Saves space and battery.

That sounds like a good idea. I've never thought about that. I guess I always presumed that the app would be better - that's what it's made for right? But the FB mobile site appears just as good as the app to me - and with the added benefit of saving space and not running in the background 24/7. I wonder if the FB app is just basically an enhanced browser locked to FB anyway. I never installed the lousy FB Messenger app when they broke it out of FB app - ticked me off. It looks like the FB mobile site doesn't show FB messages either. I wonder if they have a mobile site for that.

Upvote 0
Use this it'll be good for you.
https://sufficientlysecure.org/index.php/adaway/
Download the 3.0.1 vers. It will install all lic.

i prefer using firefox beta over chrome

That sounds like a good idea. I've never thought about that. I guess I always presumed that the app would be better - that's what it's made for right? But the FB mobile site appears just as good as the app to me - and with the added benefit of saving space and not running in the background 24/7. I wonder if the FB app is just basically an enhanced browser locked to FB anyway. I never installed the lousy FB Messenger app when they broke it out of FB app - ticked me off. It looks like the FB mobile site doesn't show FB messages either. I wonder if they have a mobile site for that.

what do you mean the mobile site doesnt show messages? im looking at my messages on the mobile site right now

Upvote 0
what do you mean the mobile site doesnt show messages? im looking at my messages on the mobile site right now

Sorry, you're right. I just tried it again. I haven't used it for so long I didn't realize those were messages and not part of the newsfeed. I guess their prompt to install their "Messenger" app threw me and I thought it was required.

thanks,

Reactions: AP2FTW
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones