• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FAIL: Update to Froyo Failed

Detailed Details...

This is a Verizon-Motorola DroidX

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

I used an app that roots with 1 click. The root app added these files:

busybox, exploid, su, superuser.apk

Once I was rooted, I downloaded some root user apps such as rootexplorer, wireless tethering for rooted users, titanium etc.

However, I have not yet deleted any of the bloatware so I'm basically just a 2.1-update1 rooted user with all the factory junk.

I used the one click root app to unroot myself before I attempted the update.

I tried to get the update by doing system updates from the phone. I tried doing the legitimate update and it didn't work. It went through the whole process of shutting down, booting, installing, rebooting again and said the update failed.

I just tried downloading RSDLite and getting some sbf file but the phone is unrecognized by RSDLite once I am in the recovery mode. I have the appropriate driver but the phone is simply NOT SHOWING UP in RSDLite. And yes I replaced the .ini file as the instructions requested.

Please assist.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why you're not able to update. I don't think rooting will do anything to the ability to update, but I could be wrong. Usually you can update and it will take away your root access after you update. I may not be the best help, but I'm sure someone with greater knowledge will chime in.

Did you get the updated Motorola drivers for your OS? I did this with XP when I had to do the SBF.

Upvote 0
Did some lookin around. I didn't have the correct sbf and an older version of RSDLite. Still does not explain why RSDLite didn't even see the phone though.

Try rebooting the phone while holding the volume up/down buttons to get into recovery mode, then RDSLight should recognize the phone.

I'm about to try the same thing, it's a headache on xp, but it was super easy on my win 7 system to get it setup.

Upvote 0
Ok.. now I'm really confused. I downloaded the full sbf VRZ_MB810_2.3.15_1FF_01 and RSDLite v4.8

I have the most current drivers for my Droid X. Windows will recognize it but RSDLite still refuses to acknowledge its existence.

I need to reflash my phone so I can update to froyo.

2.3.15 should only be flashed if you have bootloader 30.03, which you would have if you were on OTA 2.2.

It sounds like you're on 2.1 and should have BL 30.01. You want to sbf to a clean 2.1 and hopefully it will upgrade OTA.

You can get it if you google "rootz wiki droid x sbf"

Towards the bottom it says:

Return your DroidX to stock unrooted 2.1:

Motorola Droid X SBF Download - Here
This reverts you to a CLEAN UNROOTED STOCK Phone.

Upvote 0
I'm doing my phone right now on a windows 7 system. I could not get my phone to be recognized my rsdlite 4.8 running xp with service pack 3. I don't know why but I gave up after a frustrating 4 hours.

I didn't even have to put the phone into the bootloader screen, rsdlite did that automatically when running from windows 7.

* Just booted into android 2.1 and i'm activating the phone.

Once you do this go to setting about, and download the update :) mine is Dling now.

Upvote 0
... and everyone complains about Vista and Win7 not recognizing their phone and having to use Xp.

I've tried it on 3 different computers, all running Win 7 (2 64-bit, 1 34-bit) and have had no issues at all.

To the OP, try a different computer, or at the very least try one of the USB ports on the back of the computer, the ones on the actual Motherboard (don't know if you are already doing that or not, but it's worth a try).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones