• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite App so far.... Developers please see link to Announcements above.

Green Power is the app for me. Manages my wifi, data and sync times beautifully on my SG3. Has improved my average battery life to 19 hours after an average day's use.

I'm wondering if I'd see that kind of improvement. I've had mixed results with battery saving apps. However, I do see Green Power getting a lot of good reviews.

As for things I absolutely love on my phone...Voxer, for talking with friends without burning minutes. It's like the best part of push to talk with message services. Pretty handy. Also, Groove IP (paid or free, paid has better sound tweaking capabilities) for making Google Voice calls over wifi. Handy if you burn through minutes of a plan, or like me, experience intermittent coverage where you live.

Half of my phones life is wifi.

Keyboard right now is SwiftKey 4, which I'm loving. It's the first predictive swyping text keyboard that actually seems to say what I'm trying to say.

Cam Scanner has been a lifesaver for me. Between that and online printing services, I don't really even need a scanner/printer anymore. Scan to .pdf, image file, etc. Handy as could be.

Talk To Me Cloud is a fantastic app for languages. I live close to Mexico, and my Spanish is so/so. If I have any kind of data though, I can get by with this app. Speak, get translation. Nuff Said.

Last but not least, Wifi Tether for root. Forget paying 15 dollars a month. Pssshhhhhh.

Upvote 0
Id like to add trapster, the clockwork recovery app, nandroid, 3g/4g speed optimizer, android assistant, pdanet, astro file manager, busybox, car locator, checkpoint wingman(just in case)dns changer.....some of these need root...and for some that seems hard....I dont know why....:0)
Ill post more if someone wants them....im retired so its all i do all day...i know the good, bad, and ugly......lol

Upvote 0
Wow! How can this be legal? Not paying $3 until I see it at the play store for a while.

I'm giving it a shot. It looks like all it does is provide an easy interface for various networks all in one spot. For example, you can just use the app to watch shows on CBS, FOX, etc that are freely available to watch on their sites without having to go to each site separately.

Upvote 0
Migrated from the Top Paid App discussion, which was locked while I was composing this message...

SwiftKey: worth buying for the Flow feature. The three best keyboards are Swype, Swift key Flow and Kii.

Titanium Backup Pro: was the backup app I used until I ran into a serious problem on Friday: Titanium Backup requires root access to work. My phone had root access before Friday. On Friday, I backed up some apps and data before Samsung pushed the Jellybean update onto my phone. I uninstalled some root apps, thinking that I would just reinstall them after the update. After the Jellybean OTA update (which erased root access,) I found out the existing rooting method would no longer work. Which means I can't use Titanium to retrieve my backups until an updated rooting method becomes available. So note I have some backup data that I need but can't get back, courtesy of Titanium Backup. As soon as that happens, I am getting a backup app that does not require root access.

Beautiful Widgets: Not worth it. The downloads section is a mess. HD Widgets is better, has a cleaner and organized interface, and also has a higher rating.

Root Explorer: Overrated. So many other better alternatives. I prefer ES File Explorer, which is free and also uses root access.

ROM Manager Premium: this is the worst experience. waste of money. Unless you plan to flash ROMs, avoid. Also avoid it if you have newer phones. This thing installs ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery, which was its selling point but is now a liability on newer phones. Newer phones can detect the presence of CWM and refuse to OTA update your firmware or OS. I've been reading so many people having problems CWM with updates due to CWM. CWM is also impossible to remove/uninstall once it gets into your phone.

HD Widgets: Better than Beautiful Widgets. This is the home page widget I use.

ROM Toolbox Pro: Lots of useful tools. Love its built-in file explorer (better than Root Explorer IMO) and ad blocker.

Where's My Water: Good game but not great.

Tapatalk Forum App: Using it right now. One of the apps I use most often.

Camera Zoom FX; I bought five camera apps, this is my default camera. Love the stabilizer sensor, which most other cameras do not have. (The others are mostly specialty cameras like panoramic camera and special effect cameras.)

Office Suite Pro: Document To Go is much better. I think this is the greedy app that wants to nickel-and-dime customers for individuals add-on components that should have been included in the paid app. Avoid.

SetCPU for Root User: more of hassle to set up and use than anything else. I bought it to underclock my old phone in sleep mode to save battery. My current phone already has that feature built in.

Smart Tools: waste of money. Seemed useful but I've never actually used anything from it. Does not allow direct access/shortcut to the flashlight, or let me put the flashlight on lock screen, therefore is basically useless for me. (I really just wanted the flashlight but the whole suite was on sale.) Ended up getting TeslaLED for that purpose.

SuperSU Pro: should not have bought it because I already had SuperUser Elite, but people keep saying this one is better. Well, it's not. It's not worse either. It's not that different from SuperUser.

Cut the Rope: I should stop buying casual or puzzle games... There are too many and becoming generic.

Angry Bird: why is this game so successful? This is a total ripoff of Crash the Castle on flash sites from years ago.

Oh well... I'd stop here...

Upvote 0
/is anyone here a pulse user? what are some good streams to have
i just tried it out the other day and it had quickly become my news /rss reader over google currents (the new ui is SOOOO BAD)

I use it all the time. I have things like Phandroid, Android Central, Mac Rumors, Gizmodo, and Engadget on one page

Then I have another page with ESPN, Fox News, Ask Men, Hacker News, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones