• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Finally Able to Exchange!!!

bdforte69

Jun 17, 2010
My long national nightmare is finally over! After buying my EVO on launch day and discovering a problem with the front-facing camera the next day, I was FINALLY able to exchange my device for a brand new one today.

I purchased the device from Best Buy and have been getting the customary "we don't have any in stock to exchange for you, and we have no idea when will get more" for weeks. After calling literally 8 different stores within a 30 mile radius, I finally found one that said they just got a truck in last night with 25. I went in today and they gladly did the exchange.

I am happy to report that now I have hardware version 3, boy what a difference from 2. The phone runs noticeably smoother, and of course the front-facing camera works flawlessly. Also, the radio was already set to cdma-auto not gsm.

I believe that what others on this forum have said about the long delay for more stock being due to the fact that HTC and Sprint wanted to fix the problems of the inital shipments before re-stocking.

So, for any others out there like me who are waiting to exchange a defective device, have faith and hang in there! The wait has been ridiculous, but at least it looks like they have fixed the problems.

If you haven't noticed it, then you're probably fine. I posted a thread about my issue a couple weeks ago and nobody else seemed to have had or knew anything about it!

Basically, the regular camera worked great, but when I switched to the front-facing camera the screen went black and the phone froze. The only button that would do anything was the home button. After I restarted the phone, the rear camera worked again, but when switching to front, same deal

I tried three hard-resets... same problem. I tried formatting the SD card... same problem. It was simply defective. If you had this issue you would definitely know about it.

Reactions: B-Ran
Upvote 0
I just exchanged my phone too. My problem was a squeaky power button that would stick. I also couldn't power up my phone without taking the battery out for a couple of minutes. I was wondering how you can tell which version you have. I read in another thread about them switching screen manufacturers and figured out I have the original, I believe Samsung screen, just wondering how to tell the version.

Upvote 0
My long national nightmare is finally over! After buying my EVO on launch day and discovering a problem with the front-facing camera the next day, I was FINALLY able to exchange my device for a brand new one today.

I purchased the device from Best Buy and have been getting the customary "we don't have any in stock to exchange for you, and we have no idea when will get more" for weeks. After calling literally 8 different stores within a 30 mile radius, I finally found one that said they just got a truck in last night with 25. I went in today and they gladly did the exchange.

I am happy to report that now I have hardware version 3, boy what a difference from 2. The phone runs noticeably smoother, and of course the front-facing camera works flawlessly. Also, the radio was already set to cdma-auto not gsm.

I believe that what others on this forum have said about the long delay for more stock being due to the fact that HTC and Sprint wanted to fix the problems of the inital shipments before re-stocking.

So, for any others out there like me who are waiting to exchange a defective device, have faith and hang in there! The wait has been ridiculous, but at least it looks like they have fixed the problems.

I told you so...

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/104212-hardware-build-3-totally-different-handset.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones