• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

first boot setup using wifi?

paxku

Nov 6, 2008
Hi,

I just got my G1, here in europe.

Now, I'm trying to set up the phone, but it asks me for a goggle account (which I already have), but it tries to connect using 3g.
I don't have a data plan for my sim (I can live with wifi). Can I do this any other way, maybe, using wifi?

You are limited to 3G/EDGE I'm afraid, you cant get in to any of the phone settings (as far as I know) until you have signed up for (or in with) a google account. This was really annoying for me as my T-Mobile account hadn't been set up by the time I got home, so I spent all evening starring at a brick with an android logo staring teasingly at me.

Upvote 0
Hi, i got the G1 to India (Finally :)), it's unlocked, but the trouble is, it's yet to be set up (signed in using my Gmail ID and all). The moment i boot the phone a screen comes, that requires me to put in my gmail user name and password... when i put in the required info, it cannot access the google servers (pretty obvious, as i haven't manually put in the setting to activate my EGPRS on the phone).

Could someone help me here by telling me how to get to the settings page, where i can manually set up my EGPRS settings/choose the right network, without first putting in my gmail username and password

Thanks a ton

Cheers
Sid

P.S. i do have WI-Fi access, but from what i read, it wouldn't be of much help would it?

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton Benmarvin....
Got it sorted, got the APN and all for AT&T but the issue is it still shows me the error.
I even tried it with a friends T-mobile, choose T-mobile USA (trying to activate it in NY)
but got the same message... could not connect to the Google servers, this might be a temp. isuue please try again or call customer care :(

Sid

Upvote 0
Hi,

I just got my G1, here in europe.

Now, I'm trying to set up the phone, but it asks me for a goggle account (which I already have), but it tries to connect using 3g.
I don't have a data plan for my sim (I can live with wifi). Can I do this any other way, maybe, using wifi?

Im in the same boat as you, which is kinda wierd cause when i originally set up my G1 i didnt have the data package and it worked just fine!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones