• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Here is a brief answer. Yes, the E4GT does support rev.B -

But most of the argument centered on whether the Evo3D had the ability. The ET4G was assumed to have the ability to work with the Sprint Vision Upgrade.

I'm still trying to work out how the Epic 4G Touch is going to manage EVDO Rev. B given that it was found to contain the Qualcomm QSC6085 CDMA Processor in iFixit's teardown. Everything I can find about that chip says it only goes up to Rev. A. Qualcomm's Rev. B support started with its MSM chip line, as far as I know.

I keep hearing all this, yes it will, yes it will, but with no proof, and the chip in this phone is disagreeing.

Upvote 0
Everything I can find about that chip says it only goes up to Rev. A. Qualcomm's Rev. B support started with its MSM chip line, as far as I know.

I keep hearing all this, yes it will, yes it will, but with no proof, and the chip in this phone is disagreeing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "proof." The entire issue of rev.B has not been confirmed by Sprint, so that's like asking for proof that Apple will be releasing the iPhone in October. We all know that it will happen, but there is no "proof."

As shown earlier in this thread, an article states that this website has "confirmed" that at least two phones have rev. B capability, the Evo 3D and the Epic 4G Touch. I think I'll just wait and see what happens from Sprint. There is no reason to get caught up in speculation at this point.

UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? – GizmoFusion

Upvote 0
Oh I totally agree with both of you guys. This whole thing is a mute point if Sprint doesn't actually implement Rev. B CDMA on its network. But it would make sense if they did honestly. Assuming they do end up carrying the iPhone soon, making a Sprint iPhone attractive by flipping the switch on Rev. B makes a lot of sense. I admit though, I'm scratching my head on why Samsung chose to stick a 4 year old CDMA chip in this phone. Why couldn't they use a MSM line chip? Are they THAT much more expensive? Meh. By the way I had emailed the author of the Gizmofusion article a couple of days ago ... no reply yet.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
Great post, ty. I would say Samsung truly stepped up its game. They could have only mildly increased the ram to 768, or given 1080p playback without the ability to record full hd, or gone with a dual 1.0 vs 1.2, or not added the hundred or so more features they did to truly be a front runner in this cell phone techhnology marathon.... Really, really, pleased with every single thing and upgrade tgey did. Sometimes second versions wind up eliminating certain features you really liked, Sammy kept everything that was in SGS And added Ton more...

My one complaint (like u said about the spaces) but also this version of swype seems sooo jacked up. Plus it keeps reverting to Espanol... Drivjng me nuts but easily eliminated featuring to regular keyboard...

BTC

Upvote 0
It's worth pointing out that the wins for the MoPho are slim wins. Reception is a tiny difference, I'm rethinking my evaluation of the call quality (I've made more calls and everyone else says I sound perfectly clear), resolution is inconsequential from a pixel size point of view (seeing more on the screen is nice I suppose), and I'm not sure what specials you're getting, but both phones are $199 with a 2 year contract for me.

Related to another discussion taking place: a gallery of photos is more than enough to determine which camera is better. The most similar images available were posted for convenience. While not ideal, you can easily see hints that the GS2 camera is better in them.

FWIW, I agree, and came down on the side of the Epic 4g Touch. Got it in 2 days from Wirefly for $149 (several places, like Best Buy had the MoPho for $99). The call quality on the ET actually seems quite good to me (the reception seems about the same as my previous phone, a Pre). The camera (and video) rocks!

Rob

Upvote 0
I previously ran a rooted evo 4g and now have a et4g and this might sound dumb but what can I do with this phone that really takes advantage of the new hardware. To be honest as great as the handset is Im not really sure its doing that much more than my evo, which probably means Im not really taking advanyage of it in the way of apps, games, etc. Any input would be appreciated

Upvote 0
I previously ran a rooted evo 4g and now have a et4g and this might sound dumb but what can I do with this phone that really takes advantage of the new hardware. To be honest as great as the handset is Im not really sure its doing that much more than my evo, which probably means Im not really taking advanyage of it in the way of apps, games, etc. Any input would be appreciated

you mean what can your phone do stock that you don't even have to root it for? pretty much everything! it is faster, sharper and lighter. it pretty much improved over the evo (and succeeding phones since then) in every way

Upvote 0

I don't have an Epic Touch yet but in playing around with one in the store I think the biggest difference for me was in browsing speed. It's still not as fast as a laptop/desktop at opening full desktop websites but it's a significant improvement over every other smartphone I've tried.

Upvote 0
took the plunge and just got this phone this afternoon. went ahead and paid full price for it so that next spring I will be eligible for a full upgrade and hopefully we will have LTE phones around that time.

This phone is so speedy and the screen is amazing. That little extra size over my EVO really helps out. I haven't noticed any 3G problems, but I had some lagging data issue that a reboot seems to have fixed for now.

Upvote 0
took the plunge and just got this phone this afternoon. went ahead and paid full price for it so that next spring I will be eligible for a full upgrade and hopefully we will have LTE phones around that time.

This phone is so speedy and the screen is amazing. That little extra size over my EVO really helps out. I haven't noticed any 3G problems, but I had some lagging data issue that a reboot seems to have fixed for now.

Wish I had that kinda cash available. *cry*

As for the ridiculously short cord, I have a spare charger I got from Walmart that's much longer and does the job just fine. Sounds like you need to get one, carvation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones