• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Fixed" my Wifi problem at home

Redflea

Android Expert
Oct 6, 2009
I've been having problems, with both my D1 and warranty replacement D2, with wifi at home.

Everything else I throw at my network connects and stays connected w/out issue.

My D1 and D2 would connect and then after less than 10 minutes lose internet access - still show full connection/strong signal strength, but web broswer, email, market, etc., could not access the internet.

Tried changing channels, changing security, rebooting router and phone, and nothing seemed to help. Router is a SMC BarricadeN. Router had the current FW release.

Yesterday finally decided to try another router - I had Netgear Rangemax N (WNR834B) router around that I wasn't using, as it had been a little flaky. I checked and confirmed it supported DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router) and decided to try that to see if the open-source FW would fix the router's flakiness and fix my phone Droid issues. (SMC router is not supported.)

Flashed the DD-WRT FW and put the router in place and D2 connected and stays connected w/out issue. Using same security I used on the SMC (WPA/WPA2 w/AES-TKIP). Router appears to be working well, haven't seen any issues yet.

So my D1/D2 wifi connection issues turned out to be something between the SMC router and my D1 and D2 that didn't get along.

Very happy camper now...anyone wanna buy a SMC BarricadeN router? :D

Reactions: jon hazle

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones