• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flashing Screen

Ive been having the same issue. And since I dont want to upgrade to 4.4.4 until i see what Dan R has come up with for our bootloaders. So for now, I'll just deal with it unless I discoiver its an easy fix.

You're not the only one having this problem, which is a relief to me, and hopefully to you as well.

Hi,

Ever since updating to 4.4, when I open apps the screen flashes two or three times. It is intermittent and doesn't always occur when opening the same apps. I don't want to do an FDR. Anyone else getting this issue.

Upvote 0
Finally someone else experiencing this problem. I have had this problem for awhile now, even before 4.4.4 I have Wiped Cache Partition and also a FDR. With the initial visit to Verizon, they wanted to do a FDR and I refused to do so at that time.. Well the flashing started getting worse, so I broke down and did a FDR and turns out the problem is still there. I have run in Safe Mode with the problem continuing. I have found that a couple seconds before my screen times out (set at 30 sec.) it flickers really bad but only the bottom half of the screen. I have to turn off Active Display every night at bed time so I don't get that flash of light from the screen keeping me awake. After a night on the charger I have a red or pinkish hue on the bottom half of the screen when the brightness is set to Auto..As soon as I turn off Auto brightness the red-pink hue is gone. Sorry for rambling but maybe this will shed some light on the matter.

Upvote 0
The diming seems to be in two steps. (Setting the time to 15s and running through it for a few times shows it off. First it dims about half way, pauses, and then dims the rest of the way. From your description it seems to be a problem with the first.

Active Display has a night option (my 4.4.4 does) that you activate and you can set the time range.

You did a Factory Data Reset and the problem is still there. It seems like hardware to me and you need to get a replacement.

If it is out of warranty ... is it covered by an insurance policy?

Good luck with it.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones