• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FM Radio TUNER App other than NextRadio??

neutrino78x

Lurker
Nov 11, 2019
Hi....so...I tried running NextRadio on my new LG G7, and it tried to contact the server to get a list of stations nearby...and it could not contact the server. So then it wouldn't let me tune into anything.

Are there other apps that will let you use the FM Tuner? I don't want to listen to internet stations. Just the FM radio over the air.

Xavier Black, that appears to be a subscription service...I'm looking for something like NextRadio, which was free and allowed you to listen to local FM radio for free.

I think the NAB had it right. The law should require FM radio on these devices. In fact, I would argue that the law should AM, FM, shortwave, and maybe even CB radio....at least, receiving CB radio. I realize that a requirement for AM might make the device thicker (to get an AM coil). It seems that, in theory, you could pick up AM using an antenna designed for FM, though. Just maybe more noise on the signal.

Upvote 0
Xavier Black, that appears to be a subscription service...I'm looking for something like NextRadio, which was free and allowed you to listen to local FM radio for free.

I think the NAB had it right. The law should require FM radio on these devices. In fact, I would argue that the law should AM, FM, shortwave, and maybe even CB radio....at least, receiving CB radio. I realize that a requirement for AM might make the device thicker (to get an AM coil). It seems that, in theory, you could pick up AM using an antenna designed for FM, though. Just maybe more noise on the signal.

I assume you're in the US.

The LG G7 ThinQ has an FM tuner in it.
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g7_thinq-9115.php
Radio: FM Radio

Can't you just use the stock LG FM radio app? I believe NextRadio has been discontinued, and its streaming servers are offline.

I don't think that any manufacturer would include CB radio or shortwave in a phone. But if you're that concerned about what happens and to "be prepared" when the shit hits the fan. You could always just pack a CB or SW or AM radio in your survival kit bag...
Survival-Kit.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume you're in the US.

The LG G7 ThinQ has an FM tuner in it.
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g7_thinq-9115.php
Radio: FM Radio

Can't you just use the stock LG FM radio app?

As far as I know, it does have an FM chip, but it doesn't have a stock LG FM radio app on this phone.

I believe NextRadio has been discontinued, and its streaming servers are offline.

I think you're right. No streaming servers though, it used FM radio over the air. I think the server is used to tell you which stations are available. That's poorly written software though. You should have the option to tune manually.

I don't think that any manufacturer would include CB radio or shortwave in a phone.

They would if it was required. :)

But if you're that concerned about what happens and to "be prepared" when the shit hits the fan. You could always just pack a CB or SW or AM radio in your survival kit bag...
View attachment 145612

lol...I have a lot of emergency training; I was a submariner in the USN. :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
NextRadio still works on my V40.

I dunno. It worked on my LG K8, but for some reason doesn't want to work with this machine.

If you specifically want the LG tuner app, download it from APKMirror. Version 7.20.12 was released in July.

I guess I would have to download it from apkmirror...is that legitimate though? They don't list the LG Tuner under all the apps for LG electronics on google play.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
TuneIn is free..unless you need the pro version..the subscription is nothing..you just have to enter your email and create a pass..well at last that's one of the ones I use..that's why I am recommending it..but you more than free to choose between the pool of apps available

Is it a streaming service? I'm looking for something that uses the FM radio hardware in the device to receive FM radio signals over the air. :)

Upvote 0
As far as I know, it does have an FM chip, but it doesn't have a stock LG FM radio app on this phone.

Is it one where the FM radio hardware is in there in the chip-set, but for whatever reasons the variant you've got it isn't enabled in the firmware, and no stock FM radio app is provided? Like some phones supplied by certain carriers.

I think you're right. No streaming servers though, it used FM radio over the air. I think the server is used to tell you which stations are available. That's poorly written software though. You should have the option to tune manually.

Usually FM radio apps do work like that, they can search the band and find your local stations. And a server might be used to make local tuning automatic, and to tell you station names, station info, etc.

They would if it was required. :)

lol...I have a lot of emergency training; I was a submariner in the USN. :)

OT there used to be some Chinese phones that had PAL/NTSC analog TV built-in, complete with pull-out telescopic antennas. Like this fake iPhone...:D
154120-90fba609e4140d6d785f11.jpg

And I used to have a Lenovo phone that actually had a stereo FM transmitter in it. So I could play it on a car radio, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dunno. It worked on my LG K8, but for some reason doesn't want to work with this machine.

I guess I would have to download it from apkmirror...is that legitimate though? They don't list the LG Tuner under all the apps for LG electronics on google play.

APK mirror is a good source. Search LG FM in APK mirror

Reactions: neutrino78x
Upvote 0
Is it one where the FM radio hardware is in there in the chip-set, but for whatever reasons the variant you've got it isn't enabled in the firmware, and no stock FM radio app is provided? Like some phones supplied by certain carriers.

As far as I know the FM chip is there (as part of the Bluetooth chip) and "activated"...but NextRadio apparently doesn't work without being able to contact the server for a list of your local stations. Which is stupid. You should be able to tune manually without a list of what's available! argh. They made it so their program doesn't work if they go out of business, which they have. :-(

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung A205U that does have the FM receiver chipset. Having the same problem as neutrino78x. Need an app that, like NextRadio, accesses that chipset for local FM. Understand, I do NOT want a streaming service/site.

TNX

You could try apk mirror and see if the FM radio app/Samsung work.

What android version is your A205U running?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones