• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forced 2.0.1 DROID UPDATE! HOWTO

Ok, I paraphrased my error the first time. Here's the entire output.

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: appy_patch_check("MTD:boot:2512896:86ce122fdfab1ca7aea268575ec692699c8556ab:2502656:e79414a1774b152c9c3eca09f1be0c6b1b24e889")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Upvote 0
Just did it and I can confirm that it works flawlessly. I always wondered what the "apply sdcard:update.zip" option was for in the recovery menu... :)

Anyway, the lock screen is prettier now (looks more "Droid"-ish, I guess? Can't describe it, though I wish they utilized all that blank space a little better). Also, the home screen feels a little less laggy, though still laggy. They need to fix that.

Just a few questions: 1) Will the factory reset option through the menu get us back to 2.0 or are we on 2.0.1 for good (unless we reset through the recovery menu?)?
2) What happens when Google releases the (silent?) 2.0.1 update?

Upvote 0
Just did it and I can confirm that it works flawlessly. I always wondered what the "apply sdcard:update.zip" option was for in the recovery menu... :)

Anyway, the lock screen is prettier now (looks more "Droid"-ish, I guess? Can't describe it, though I wish they utilized all that blank space a little better). Also, the home screen feels a little less laggy, though still laggy. They need to fix that.

Just a few questions: 1) Will the factory reset option through the menu get us back to 2.0 or are we on 2.0.1 for good (unless we reset through the recovery menu?)?
2) What happens when Google releases the (silent?) 2.0.1 update?

The reset only removes data, so you should stay at 2.01.

The 2.01 invite probably will skip our phones, if there is a check for current version...there must be something like that, or they'd keep offering the update over and over to everyone...I can't believe they'd monitor every single EMEID of all the phones in a database and track update status.

Be interesting to see, though, I wondered the same thing. If you do get offered the update you can just accept it - the patches will either be re-done, or more likely they will be skipped and nothing will happen.

Upvote 0
The camera is MUCH faster for me...about 3s between shots, sometimes less. Before it was more like 5-6s at least. So that is much better.

No idea about quality yet, but the speed is a welcome improvement.

I'm seeing this too! OMG great update! Used to take 6-10 seconds, but now... it's like 4 seconds on a 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi..... you know the drill :)

Upvote 0
E:can't open/cache/recovery/command

Me too, then I get

-- Install from sdcard
assert failed: appy_patch_check("MTD:boot:2512896:86ce122fdfab1ca 7aea268575ec692699c8556ab:2502656:e79414a1774b152c 9c3eca09f1be0c6b1b24e889")
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Upvote 0
ok heres the exact error:

Install from SD Card
Finding Update package...
Installing Update package...
Verifying Update package...
E: failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip
(Is a directory)
E: Signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

any ideas on what I did wrong?

No idea, what is your location? Did you try the updated instructions?

How did you load it on the droid? Maybe it's a location thing? Everyone I've talked to has been successful so far!

Upvote 0
Me too, then I get

-- Install from sdcard
assert failed: appy_patch_check("MTD:boot:2512896:86ce122fdfab1ca 7aea268575ec692699c8556ab:2502656:e79414a1774b152c 9c3eca09f1be0c6b1b24e889")
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Yours and thrilla's location arent' set here. please clarify.

Upvote 0
Well, I downloaded the file, renamed it to update.zip.

And when I tried to install it, it still messes up! It gives me some error. I just don't understand!

I'm getting:

Install from sdcard...
E:signature verification failed
installation aborted.

any ideas?

You probably included the file extension (.zip) in the name; don't. Rename it to "update" and it should work fine. If ".zip" is in the name, then it won't verify.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones