• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forcing Apps to install to the SD Card without root

Just bought Wildfire S tonight on ebay (should get it in a few days), but have read this thread a couple of times in last week or two, as I am nervous about rooting the phone and this seems a safer option.
I have 2 laptops, one running XP and the other W7. Which would you recommend I use? I know it probably won't make a difference, but if there is a preference...
Thanks

Upvote 0
Just bought Wildfire S tonight on ebay (should get it in a few days), but have read this thread a couple of times in last week or two, as I am nervous about rooting the phone and this seems a safer option.
I have 2 laptops, one running XP and the other W7. Which would you recommend I use? I know it probably won't make a difference, but if there is a preference...
Thanks

I used Windows 7, but it shouldn't make a difference. Just use whatever you're most comfortable with. :)

Reactions: tenpointnine
Upvote 0
I did lost all my settings after i did a factory reset, now I install few basic things which I need, & now just dont install anything i like on Market, i only instal which may help me & then try to move the applications to be sdcard which I am able to move .. i know this is a fair move .. it all work & less play!! :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Hi El Presidente,

First I would like to thank for the wonderful solution. I just have one question regarding "Android SDK"....like where I can download this and how to install this? Little more detail would help me.

You'll need HTC Sync installed (or at least the drivers that come with HTC Sync) and ADB (Android Debug Bridge) or the Android SDK. The SDK itself is a >100MB download and can be relatively difficult to install, however if you head, look under the section entitled Mini SDK, click show, you can download a zip file called SDK-Tools.zip. Once downloaded, extract the contents of that folder to a folder of your choosing. I recommend somewhere easy, like C:\SDK-Tools as you'll need to navigate to it via a command prompt later.

Upvote 0
You'll need HTC Sync installed (or at least the drivers that come with HTC Sync)

El Presidente, this thread looks like it's exactly what I need. I feel like I'm almost there, but just not quite... It's always the same when it come to me and technology! :eek:

I think my missing link is that I've got HTC Sync on my PC, but it's not recognising my phone when I connect it to the PC. I've been searching for the answer but don't get what I'm supposed to do. I read something about copying 'htcsync.exe' over from my PC to my phone I think, but I can't find this on my PC (not on the phone either). Is this what I should be doing...?

Hope you can help!! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that!

I thought that this was the issue because, when I tried out your instructions yesterday, at the bit where it's supposed to show the phone's serial number, I got a long list of data that didn't mean anything to me. I just wanted to narrow down why it wouldn't work for me and thought this would be it. Just did exactly the same as yesterday, got the serial number on screen and it looks like it's worked!

muchas gracias! :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
One of the biggest complaints levelled at the HTC Wildfire S is the severe lack of internal memory. There are ways around this, one of which is forcing downloaded apps to install to the SD Card. There are a couple of pre-requisites, but the process itself is relatively straight forward. :)

You'll need HTC Sync installed (or at least the drivers that come with HTC Sync) and ADB (Android Debug Bridge) or the Android SDK. The SDK itself is a >100MB download and can be relatively difficult to install, however if you head here, look under the section entitled Mini SDK, click show, you can download a zip file called SDK-Tools.zip. Once downloaded, extract the contents of that folder to a folder of your choosing. I recommend somewhere easy, like C:\SDK-Tools as you'll need to navigate to it via a command prompt later.

You'll also need to enable USB Debugging on your phone, that's easily enough done by heading to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging. You'll get a warning message, but just ok that you'll be fine.

Once you've done all the above, the process is as follows:

1. Connect the Phone to the PC in Charge Only mode
2. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD, you'll need to run as Administrator)
3. Navigate to the folder you extracted ADB to. In my case, the command would be "cd\SDK-Tools" (minus the quotes).
4. Type adb devices and press enter. You should then see the serial number of your phone displayed on screen. If you don't check, that USB Debugging is enabled and you're connected in Charge Only Mode. If you get an error stating" 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command", it might well you've another SDK-tools folder within the original. If this is the case type "cd\sdk-tools\sdk-tools" and try again.
5. Type adb shell, press enter.
6. Type pm setInstallLocation 2 press enter (it's important you enter this exactly as written as it's case sensitive)
7. Type exit, then disconnect your phone.
8. PROFIT! :)

You can now move apps that are already on the handset to the SD Card. Head to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> Click an app -> Move to SD Card. All new apps will install to the SD Card.

It's worth mentioning that apps with active widgets cannot be moved and a certain portion app will remain on the phones data partition, but this goes a long way to assist with the lack of internal memory!

Pics for the ADB stuff below:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png
Done everything correct and same but still couldn't figured it out what app can be move to SD card :( help please

Upvote 0
hi, i have done this procedure on my wifes htc wildfire s, it is installing most stuff to the memory card but one or two things wont install to the sd or 'move to sd' one installed, not a big problem tho, my question is would i do the htc desire in the same way? with the same sdktools ?
many thanks Grant

What Android version is the Desire on? I think people have said it doesn't work on some of the later versions of Gingerbread, but there's no harm in giving this a go. You don't need to download any more files, you should be good to go with these. :)

Reactions: kwackered
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones