• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Free Dropbox?

just got my Note 3 yesterday... on AT&T.

dropbox was not preloaded.. on the phone.
i have had my free dropbox account for over 1 yr.
so... do i get the free 48GB??

i loaded the app... logged in.
now what? :)

update:
read the link above.. and AT&T has oppted out of the promo!!!!
sucks!

Upvote 0
The more I read about US carriers shenanigans, the more I love the UK carriers way of doing mobile devices. Here in the UK all Note 3's (SM-N9005) sold come with Dropbox pre installed with 50Gig of free storage for a year. You can tie in any Drop box account you may already have and get the extra 50Gig on top of your current limit.

The big three carriers here in the UK (Vodafone, O2 and EE) don't SIM lock their contract phones, have little if any added "bloatware" and certainly don't stop features from working on a phone. Also, while fairly expensive you can get any phone you want "free" with a 12, 18 or 24 month contract (obviously 24 months is cheaper). For instance my Note 3 is

Upvote 0
I plan on buying one of those western digital cloud drives and hook it up to my home network.

I feel uneasy with my data on someone elses drive. Especially after I found out everything on gmail is owned by google, not by you. You never know about these places what is hidden in their TOS.

Plus I won't have to pay a subscription fee... and will have far more than 50 gigs.

Reactions: recDNA
Upvote 0
I plan on buying one of those western digital cloud drives and hook it up to my home network.

I feel uneasy with my data on someone elses drive. Especially after I found out everything on gmail is owned by google, not by you. You never know about these places what is hidden in their TOS.

Plus I won't have to pay a subscription fee... and will have far more than 50 gigs.

Good point... I would never put something I actually cared about on any cloud anywhere. I'll tell you what dropbox is great for though, and that's for moving files back forth between the phone and computer. Pictures, .apk's, text files. They all move through DB quickly and easily, and with wifi at home it's almost instantaneous. My pc has a desktop folder that synch's automatically, and every app on my phone that has a share option has a dropbox icon in the list.

I also use my phone as a camera at work and move the work pics into a work folder in DB and then log in their website when I get to my desk. It makes file transfer a breeze.

I never thought I would use dropbox but I have to admit it's actually pretty handy when used securely.

Upvote 0
Yes I like Dropbox, and items that instantaneous over Wi-Fi that it is like having the files on your PC and phone at once. I like the idea of cloud storage and even if the likes of Google are legally the owners of my data, so what some NSA boys would be bored to trears with reading drainage reports only intermixed with videos and pictures of me and my family, I don't care who sees. The real problem I have is syncing stuff over the network, great on 4G, fine over HSPDA, but in the middle of nowhere and I have to get the data to the office and/or client, garbage. The cell technology needs to be implemented everywhere really.

As for stew and dumplings, lamb or beef? Beef-cubed best steak, but for a real treat venison. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones