• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 could be coming to a Hero near you!

Hahahaaa... Never say never!

I agree, I don't think you will see an OFFICIAL Froyo release for the Hero. But...

[ROM-DEV-for-da-heck-of-it] Froyo SDK system image on Toast kernel - xda-developers

Awesome reading... and this was all just hours after it was out there. Problem is, until a device or source code is released, there are problems with Audio and whatnot with respect to hardware function that can not be fixed (Hero).

But I would say... the Dev's are awesome! Jumping all over any and all avenues available to the Android OS and keeping it fresh always! I wish I had the time to jump into this, It's so reminding me of the early days of PC development and all the craze with that. Soon, the PC market will evaporate as these handsets become more and more powerful. All I can say is WOWOWOWOW!!!

Anyway... just my $.02

Happy Trails!
:cool:

Upvote 0
well, considering that engadget shows the Droid Eris running 2.2, and this video shows the Hero running 2.2, it is entirely possible that in a few months we may see a Sense powered Android 2.2 rom for the Hero coming out of xda. It's cool, but I have to admit that I'm happy with my Hero on the official 2.1. Needless to say, by the time 2.2 drops officially, I'll be on the Evo, and waiting for HTC to release 2.2 for that. Nevertheless,after switching to the EVO, I will be putting 2.2 on my Hero if the chance arises.

Upvote 0
you can run it....but you won't get the same exact results and what froyo it's really supposed to do..

Froyo will be meant for a more snappier processor with power such as the Snapdragon processor...

the ones for our HTC Hero's wont do shit with it....and yes I already seen the XDA thread about it...just remember..IT WILL NOT HAVE THE SAME FEELING...

Upvote 0
you can run it....but you won't get the same exact results and what froyo it's really supposed to do..

Froyo will be meant for a more snappier processor with power such as the Snapdragon processor...

the ones for our HTC Hero's wont do shit with it....and yes I already seen the XDA thread about it...just remember..IT WILL NOT HAVE THE SAME FEELING...

The JIT we have now makes a very noticeable difference (Although occasionally unstable), why would 2.2 with Google's JIT not do the same?

Upvote 0

It seems obvious that the HERO will not feel the same as the EVO no matter what you are running. However, I don't see how it would make no difference at all. I notice much faster speeds simply enabling JIT on my 2.1 roms, and benchmarks show that difference as well. To say "they won't do shit" doesn't seem entirely accurate to me.

EDIT: AND you have to remember, all these things (apps2sd, JIT, overclocking ect) are available only with root. Froyo introduces some of these things in official firmware. So you don't think those running stock 2.1 now, for example, would notice a worth while difference?

Like I said, it will not meet the performance of newer phones with newer hardware, but that just seems obvious. Would windows 7 run the same on a ghz processor as one with multi cores? No..

Upvote 0
like i said......keep on dreaming.....run it..but the feel will NOT BE THE SAME....end of story.

I'm not worried..I'll be using an EVO in June........ :D

Did you not read that I understand speeds won't be the same as an EVO, or Nexusone, with a 1 ghz processor? I just don't get at all what you mean by "the feel won't be the same". Compared to what? I look at it as a stable rom running JIT and apps2sd officially released. I'm not trying to start an argument, you are just being vague. Please clarify

Upvote 0
eventually there will be a new phone a few months after the evo and I am 100% sure i will get that one too...lol

I agree...

Hahahaha, MOORE's Law does seem to be accelerating for Mobile Handsets... instead of 18 months, it seems like 18 weeks. That is to say, every 18 weeks the tech = 2x in power and the price for the original = 1/2 what it was before. Hahahahaha... Now couple that with the never ending upward progress of the Android OS and OH BOY!!!

But to the Froyo question (not directed at you Dfresh), Trust me...
I love my HERO, but in a few more months, we all will be drooling at the hardware being used and will want to get something new. The HERO ROCKS, but snapdragon processors, the coming dedicated graphics chips coming to handsets, the multimedia content... WOW... certainly, the hero would need some serious steroidal injections to handle the onslaught of tech coming Android's way.

The Froyo will not be practical if even it were to run on the Hero and mostly would be just a shits & giggles type of thing... anyway, just my $.02.

Regards,
:cool:

Upvote 0
I'd like to see the V8 javascript engine and a stable JIT from google on the Hero. I don't think the full 2.2 will ever be on the Hero, but I sure do hope and believe that parts of it will be available on some future ROM's. I might have to wait till January to upgrade, but I'll be working at a Sprint retail store soon so maybe I can pull some strings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones