• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root froyo vs gbread?

GB has enough serious issues that Verizon halted the update which is why many Xs are still on OTA Froyo. Among the many serious issues with GB on the X is the loss of the data network and the ability to make outgoing calls. You can't even dial 911 when this occurs. You have to power cycle the phone or pull the battery. It's a well known problem that effects safety. Motorola and Verizon had to halt the update due to liability.

There are many other serious problems with GB that occur frequently and have been complained about a lot on this forum. Just do a search.

I had zero issues with Froyo and have had dozens of minor and major issues with GB. It was clearly not well tested.

This is why I am very hesitant to try GB. Some people post that its the greatest thing since sliced bread and beats the hell out of Froyo, others report just the opposite. There is such a contrast in opinions that I'll do the safe thing and stay with my current setup (rooted OC/UV Froyo) that works great/does everything I want/need with a minimum of issues.

That being said, I did like the version of GB I saw on the Droid 3 when I spent some time checking it out at a local Verizon store a week ago. If there was a way to get a reliable version of that with no signal/data connection problems AND keep all the functionality I have now - I'd be a very happy camper...but until then I'll still be extremely happy with my current setup.

Cheers...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones