• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root froyo?!?!

bigbear6708

Android Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2012
Had a thought the other day...need you guys/gals to either talk me off the ledge, or verify this thought has merit...

-So I was late getting to the evo party, but I am confident it was rolled out with Froyo, which led me to the thought that these new (especially ICS) ROMs arent really meant for the evo (who was built for froyo)..why do I keep trying to upgrade my ROM...wouldnt I see WAY better performance from a Froyo ROM?

Had a thought the other day...need you guys/gals to either talk me off the ledge, or verify this thought has merit...

-So I was late getting to the evo party, but I am confident it was rolled out with Froyo, which led me to the thought that these new (especially ICS) ROMs arent really meant for the evo (who was built for froyo)..why do I keep trying to upgrade my ROM...wouldnt I see WAY better performance from a Froyo ROM?

Actually, the Evo was released with Eclair, 2.1. You might believe that but the android os is also getting better so devs can put out some awesome roms.

Anyways, look at the Hero, it should have never left Donut, 1.5:eek: Now here it is 2.5 years later, roms are still being developed for the Hero, Sense 3.5, MIUI, ICS.....and Sprint Hero owners were lucky to see 2.1

Upvote 0

If the hardware of the phone can handle the newer software it is always better to upgrade it. With my Evo it runs Gingerbread roms like a boss. It slows down a bit with ICS but that could also be errors in the roms. As of now a Gingerbread rom would be the best on the evo (given that it is a good rom.) Though the ICS roms are greatly improving and my Evo has minor problems that will occur with roms that are in beta.

Just out of curiosity... Is it possible to flash a froyo rom?

Yes, they're a few roms that have been out for a while that are froyo.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
When I got my phone last year it was on Froyo for about a month. Then the GB update happened so I went to GB.

I actually prefer the Gingerbread over Froyo but I did flash Myn's warm 2.2 to see what it was like since it had such a large following. Really cool stuff and for awhile it was the only way to get an SBC kernel with Sense. But that has recently been fixed. Thanks Ca1ne!

The most of the GB builds have the Carrier IQ stuff pulled out of them. I don't think any of the Froyo Roms did since no one knew what it was.

Upvote 0
When I got my phone last year it was on Froyo for about a month. Then the GB update happened so I went to GB.

I actually prefer the Gingerbread over Froyo but I did flash Myn's warm 2.2 to see what it was like since it had such a large following. Really cool stuff and for awhile it was the only way to get an SBC kernel with Sense. But that has recently been fixed. Thanks Ca1ne!

The most of the GB builds have the Carrier IQ stuff pulled out of them. I don't think any of the Froyo Roms did since no one knew what it was.

Thank god for custom ROMs. Gingerbread roms gave us the real experience, not that OTA that came out. That was just a watered down GB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones