• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Frozen at 25% and very hot on system software install

A

Android Question

I finally upgraded to S7 from my very old S3. I got an international unlocked version from Amazon and using it now for 4 days. It kept re-starting on me yesterday and today so thought would check to see if software was updated. It was not so I downloaded the update -no problem - then it started to install. It got to 25% and didnt seem to move. Checked it half an hour later and still on 25% but was extremely hot. I have placed it on a cold pack from the freezer (with towel between it) so is keeping it cool, but another hour and it is still on 25%.

Should I wait to see if it moves (I have a feeling it will not) or what do to?? All threads I found with similar were people asking about after the update. I know you are not supposed to do anything during - so not sure what to do here??

Thank you!
Babs

That is not normal and I'm guessing the update will fail.
You can try pressing and holding the power button to see if the device will turn off or reboot.
If you can get it to reboot, you can try using Smart Switch to install the update
http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Smart Switch is the updated version of Kies3 and should work better for the S7.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones