• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G2 top status icon indicators explained ?

Hi all I live in Canada and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 4G GT-I9100M with Virgin Mobile.

Just wondering why my phone is not connected to 4G.

My friend got the Samsung Galaxy S2 X with Bell or Rogers(can't remember) anyways while sitting down side by side we were trying to download the same app at the same and only then did I realize that his phone was connecting at 4G and mine wasn't. Could this be a setting on my phone. My phone is rooted and is Gingerbread v2.3.3 as far as I know I don't remember ever seeing a 4G icon on my phone even when I first got it and before I rooted it. However I do sometimes see a icon that is green and orange/red color.

Thanks in advance,

Upvote 0
Hi...Iam a new user in this Forum and would like ti use this post to made my issue. I have a SGS" from AT&T unlocked, but I have trying to locate the way to show in the screen the icoms of 3G/4G. AT&T not include a full User Manual, which can include an explanation about this. Could someone help me in this matter?

Upvote 0
Hi all I live in Canada and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 4G GT-I9100M with Virgin Mobile.

Just wondering why my phone is not connected to 4G.

My friend got the Samsung Galaxy S2 X with Bell or Rogers(can't remember) anyways while sitting down side by side we were trying to download the same app at the same and only then did I realize that his phone was connecting at 4G and mine wasn't. Could this be a setting on my phone. My phone is rooted and is Gingerbread v2.3.3 as far as I know I don't remember ever seeing a 4G icon on my phone even when I first got it and before I rooted it. However I do sometimes see a icon that is green and orange/red color.

Thanks in advance,

did you load at the same rate?? on roger you"ll see "4g" icon, but on bell since i"m not with them maybe on "h+" you have the same speed..you should compare with your friend...

Upvote 0
I have had my SIM-free GS2 for about 2 months and have only yet used it in my house with wireless access through my b/band wireless router. I have not yet inserted a SIM card

On my status bar from right to left I have:
24 hr time indication
battery level indicator

and then, possibly, two wireless indicators:
the first is up to 4 vertical bars
to the immediate left is a vertical fan with a dot at the bottom with (up to) 3 semi-circular bars above

I suspect the fan icon indicates the proximity/strength of wireless hotspot locations/access but what do the vertical bars indicate?

Sometimes I get 3 or 4 vertical bars when the fan icon is completely dead.

13 January 2012
Thanks to an earlier link to the GS2 pdf manual, I have since found definitions for all the status bar icons (depending on region/service provider) on pages 21 and 22 in the Getting Started section.

The (up to) 4 vertical bars indicates signal strength

The fan shaped icon indicates a WLAN connection though the bottom dot and up to 3 semi circular bars seen presumably indicates the connection strength.

Could the reason that I can have full signal strength and none or weak WLAN connection mean that the signal strength can also apply to other GS2 functions such as GPS and phone?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
PedroUK

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones