• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G2 won't turn on(not bricked, I think)

AarimK

Lurker
May 3, 2015
I have an LG G2 ls980, cm-12-20150501-NIGHTLY-ls980, render kernel
I installed cm12 a long time ago and I realized that the battery was being drained really fast with cm's kernel. Then I installed render kernel. Everything was handy dandy. Less battery drain, all was good in the world. I put my phone down for a few seconds, look back, and see that my phone is completely off. I try powering it on, and nothing happens. It isn't bricked though, there isn't a dark(bull still powered) screen, there isn't an LED, there isn't a vibration when I plug in the charger for my phone.
I tried:
Waiting a while and then charging my phone for an hour(my phone got really hot after this)
Using multiple cables(none of them were data-enabled cables if that is important)
Attempted to put it into download mode(it won't even turn on, but I saw this suggestion everywhere)

Is my battery done for? Will it begin to expand if I charge it? Will this suggestion work(I'm holding off from this since the G2 battery is very tedious to put back in):
"Ok after hours of figuring out what to do I did this as a last resort and it worked. I removed the screws from the phone and pulled the battery clip from the board ; then I pressed the power button , held it down and with the other hand clipped the battery back in, once the battery vibrated I put the phone on the charger and it turned on showed the lg logo and then showed that the battery was at 0% but was charging. My phone was not rooted it was just sitting on my desk for a week till I got back from vacation. I hope this Helps"

This is a quite a bit after, but I bought it, installed it, and still the G2 won't turn on. I tried charging, and just like before, the phone starts to overheat right here:
imgur.com/znS33IY

That's about where the battery connector attaches to the motherboard. Maybe a little above that but it's close. If you or anyone else has ever disassembled that phone, its possible the coaxial cables aka antenna connectors (white and black wires) have been reversed either on the top or bottom. If you pull your rear cover off, remove the upper dust cover and the antenna module/speaker at the bottom, note where the black/white wires are connected at both locations. The black should be on the far right at both the top and bottom connection locations and the white should be the further left location at both top and bottom. If those get reversed, it can cause battery swell and overheating issues in addition to random reboots or the phone powering down out of nowhere.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Could be a motherboard going bad too. Or anything else under the sun. Very hard to diagnose effectively.

Upvote 0
That's about where the battery connector attaches to the motherboard. Maybe a little above that but it's close. If you or anyone else has ever disassembled that phone, its possible the coaxial cables aka antenna connectors (white and black wires) have been reversed either on the top or bottom. If you pull your rear cover off, remove the upper dust cover and the antenna module/speaker at the bottom, note where the black/white wires are connected at both locations. The black should be on the far right at both the top and bottom connection locations and the white should be the further left location at both top and bottom. If those get reversed, it can cause battery swell and overheating issues in addition to random reboots or the phone powering down out of nowhere.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Could be a motherboard going bad too. Or anything else under the sun. Very hard to diagnose effectively.
I opened it up and started charging it while feeling around that area to see exactly where the heat was being produced(dangerous I know). Sure enough, the connector was heating up quite badly. I pulled off the connector from the port and there was no damage in the pins or anything. The antennas are in the right places(I think). The only thing I found weird about the antennas is that both the black and white ones have a strip of metal in the middle of the wire. Is this intended or has the outside been ripped?
Here's a picture http://imgur.com/0NG5URp
Are there any issues with the way everything is put together?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones