• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus vs Razr Maxx

exactly.. you could meet up at the VZW store.. it's a public place.. not in some parking lot. Ask for the ESN before you guys even trade. if the person doesn't want to give you the esn. there is a problem.. After I grew out of the whole iphone crazy. I went from the Thunderbolt, to the Bionic, to the Nexus and then to the maxx all from Craigslist. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that great review. I am looking for a smart phone as mine is a feature phone. Was looking at the nexus and the Razr Maxx . My daughter has the Razr and loves it. So since call and reception quality is very important to me , i hope to go with the RAZR MAXX .

I have read a lot of user reviews who had call/reception problems with the galaxy nexus.

Upvote 0
Or at least until something worthwhile comes along. I went from Gnex (3 different phones over the course of 2 months) to the maxx for a couple weeks then back to Gnex for a few months and finally back to the Maxx.

For me the Gnex could have been the perfect phone, it feels better and looks much better IMO but the signal issues were getting worse and the one way calling started happening. I thought I could find a Rom/radio that fixed my issues but that never happened. Plus its been 8 months and still no pogo car dock! ( I know, its not going to happen) It's going to be awhile until I can even look at another Samsung phone. With the maxx I don't have to worry about battery and everything just works. Smaller and less attractive screen isn't enough for me to hold onto the Gnex. Putting it on swappa and not looking back.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,I joined this forum just so I could post in here to get some input hopefully! I'm currently trying to decide if I should switch to the Razr Maxx, after reading everyone's posts, I'm leaning more towards maxx!
I'm on my 3rd nexus right now, and of course, it too is having issues. My first one would overheat so bad that it actually mucked up my screen. It had the reception issues as well. They sent me a refurb replacement, and it had a bad speaker, I could only make calls and hear people if it was on speaker phone! This one, another refurb,overheats as well, and will completely shut off and restart itself multiple times a day, everyday.
VZW offered me a Razr, razr maxx, or another nexus. The only reason I'm actually considering sticking with the nexus is because of the screen and how fast it runs. I'm inpatient and I like my phone to go when I tell it too lol. But, from what it sounds like, the maxx runs pretty fast with ICS.
Any input advice appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hello YeahItsJen and welcome to the forum.

As you can tell from the above post, I love my Maxx. I've yet to have any real problems with it. The reception is the best and the battery life is amazing.

The screen is a downside. The Nexus just has an amazing screen. I did get over that pretty quickly though and mainly because everything else on the razr works so well.

Upvote 0
OfTheDamned,

I like your post above on the Droid Razr Maxx. My question remains this. Processor speed is important to me and I am torn between the SG3, HTC One X and the Droid Razr Maxx. My phone is primary used for business so I can't afford to have a phone that doesn't perform well. I currently have a iPhone 4 and have had it with Apple. I have read mixed reviews all over on why the SG3 is best, but then another review says the HTC One X is better and of course there are the reviews like yours that prefer the Droid Razr Maxx.

Any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OfTheDamned,

I like your post above on the Droid Razr Maxx. My question remains this. Processor speed is important to me and I am torn between the SG3, HTC One X and the Droid Razr Maxx. My phone is primary used for business so I can't afford to have a phone that doesn't perform well. I currently have a iPhone 4 and have had it with Apple. I have read mixed reviews all over on why the SG3 is best, but then another review says the HTC One X is better and of course there are the reviews like yours that prefer the Droid Razr Maxx.

Any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In your case I think a lot of your decision involves which carrier you want to use. The Razr Maxx is only available on Verizon, the One X is only on At&t and the Galaxy S3 is available on all major carriers (Not sure about Sprint). Personally, I prefer Verizon because of their coverage and LTE is fantastic. If you don't have LTE in your area, yet, this might change your overall view since Verizon 3G isn't as nice as it really should be.

My personal manufacturer choices start with Motorola, then HTC, then just about everyone else (including Apple) and dead last would be Samsung. This goes back to what I've said in the past about problems with Samsung radios in Verizon phones. Not everyone has had the same issues I've had, so their view on Samsung is going to be different. Overall, I've had the best experience with Motorola hardware. Everything has just been really solid. HTC has also performed wonderfully for me in the past, but their batteries have usually fallen short.

As far as the processors go, either the HTC One X or the Galaxy S3 will be faster, but that is primarily because they came out later. They are using the S4 processor which is faster and more energy efficient than the OMAP in the Razr/Razr Maxx. The good news though, is that Moto is about to announce the Razr HD which will have the same S4 processor. The announcement is about 2 weeks away (September 5th) and the phone will probably be available in October. Not so close if you have to have a new phone right this minute, but not too far off that waiting could kill you if you don't.

The nice thing about the Razr HD is that it will have a nice large HD screen (4.5" or 4.6"), 2530 mAh battery (not as big as the Razr Maxx, but with the new processor it should last all day and then some), 1.5 Ghz dual-core S4 processor and most of the other features that the current phones will have. The one thing that is a pro to some and a con to others is the on-screen keys like the Nexus.

Here is a little info on the Razr HD:
Tutorial videos for Droid Razr HD leaked, doesn

Upvote 0
I am also a member of the Galaxy Nexus 'one way call club'. In my case though, I don't cut out completely, but I break up instead.

Anyway, I've always had signal issues with this phone, but it was always tolerable. The call quality issue just recently started up, and now I've got a tough decision to make if I can't find a technical solution. Giving up my Gnex and all the awesome custom ROM tweaks would be heartbreaking, but I gotta be able to make and receive phone calls.

Question is. how do you go about scoring a Maxx? I've had the Gnex since December on a new plan, plus it's modded with a custom rom/bootloader, so I'm assuming I couldn't just make a switch for free (esp since I haven't bitched about the phone to them before), but hoping I don't have to pay full price for one iether.
I had a nexus for 3 months. I started a new plan just so I could get it at the discounted price. I never had the one way call bug, but suffered horrible signal everywhere. One day I called Verizon and talked to the tech for 20 mins and told him about my issues. He said they were all well known bugs and offered me a maxx right away. That was only on my first call. I guess I got lucky because I've seen where they refuse the maxx but want to send a razr instead. He even told me he is sending me a maxx because I will love the battery life on it because he actually had one. So i guess it all depends on who you talk to

Upvote 0
In your case I think a lot of your decision involves which carrier you want to use. The Razr Maxx is only available on Verizon, the One X is only on At&t and the Galaxy S3 is available on all major carriers (Not sure about Sprint). Personally, I prefer Verizon because of their coverage and LTE is fantastic. If you don't have LTE in your area, yet, this might change your overall view since Verizon 3G isn't as nice as it really should be.

My personal manufacturer choices start with Motorola, then HTC, then just about everyone else (including Apple) and dead last would be Samsung. This goes back to what I've said in the past about problems with Samsung radios in Verizon phones. Not everyone has had the same issues I've had, so their view on Samsung is going to be different. Overall, I've had the best experience with Motorola hardware. Everything has just been really solid. HTC has also performed wonderfully for me in the past, but their batteries have usually fallen short.

As far as the processors go, either the HTC One X or the Galaxy S3 will be faster, but that is primarily because they came out later. They are using the S4 processor which is faster and more energy efficient than the OMAP in the Razr/Razr Maxx. The good news though, is that Moto is about to announce the Razr HD which will have the same S4 processor. The announcement is about 2 weeks away (September 5th) and the phone will probably be available in October. Not so close if you have to have a new phone right this minute, but not too far off that waiting could kill you if you don't.

The nice thing about the Razr HD is that it will have a nice large HD screen (4.5" or 4.6"), 2530 mAh battery (not as big as the Razr Maxx, but with the new processor it should last all day and then some), 1.5 Ghz dual-core S4 processor and most of the other features that the current phones will have. The one thing that is a pro to some and a con to others is the on-screen keys like the Nexus.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
My current carrier through my job is AT&T. That's why I was thinking about the HTC One X.

I just looked and AT&T does not have 4g LTE coverage in my area. This has just swayed my decision. The only thing is I can't wait to see when a new Droid will be avaiable . Will I still enjoy the droid razr maxx functions. I almost think going with current razr maxx could prevent new issues that may occur with the launch of a new phone.

Ok this changes things a bit. The Razr Maxx is only available in the US for Verizon. It is an international phone so buying one off Craigs list or Swapa should allow it to work on At&t, but I would double check that before buying it. They do have the Atrix HD which has been getting good reviews. It has all the features I talked about for the Razr HD, but doesn't have the high capacity battery that the others do. As far as At&t's LTE coverage, it is still going to be a while before it is as far reaching as others.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Atrix HD forum here and seeing what people are saying.

Upvote 0
Great review OTD! I have a quick question regarding the swap from a gnex to maxx. When the verizon rep offers the swap, do you have to pay the difference between the two phones. I believe razr maxx is more expensive than the galxy nexus.

Thanks.

The exchange is based on full retail value an not sales price. The website still shows the Nexus and Razr Maxx as both having a full retail value of $649.99 so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Upvote 0
Ok this changes things a bit. The Razr Maxx is only available in the US for Verizon. It is an international phone so buying one off Craigs list or Swapa should allow it to work on At&t, but I would double check that before buying it. They do have the Atrix HD which has been getting good reviews. It has all the features I talked about for the Razr HD, but doesn't have the high capacity battery that the others do. As far as At&t's LTE coverage, it is still going to be a while before it is as far reaching as others.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Atrix HD forum here and seeing what people are saying.

Thanks, but I have had it with AT&T and do not wish to stay with them. I live and work in the US primarily the Midwest were Verizon seems to have a strong network. I have checked with my IT department and they have confirmed that switching to Verizon is my choice and they will support it. That being said, will I be disappointed by not waiting for the "New Razr HD" to launch and thus going with the current Droid Razr Maxx. Each day I continue to use my service with AT&T as well as the iphone the more I become frustrated. My contract ends with AT&T on Sept. 12 that day cannot come fast enough.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I have had it with AT&T and do not wish to stay with them. I live and work in the US primarily the Midwest were Verizon seems to have a strong network. I have checked with my IT department and they have confirmed that switching to Verizon is my choice and they will support it. That being said, will I be disappointed by not waiting for the "New Razr HD" to launch and thus going with the current Droid Razr Maxx. Each day I continue to use my service with AT&T as well as the iphone the more I become frustrated. My contract ends with AT&T on Sept. 12 that day cannot come fast enough.

Ok, now I understand where the Razr comes in. I completely understand the need to get as far away from At&t as you can.

Since the HD isn't out yet I can't give you an honest answer on regret. I love my Maxx, but my one wish is for an HD screen. Then again I went from a 4.65" HD screen to a 4.3" quarter HD screen. Coming from a 3.5" screen to a 4.3" will be a big jump for you. Since you have to wait a little longer anyway you may want to look at what the Razr HD has to offer when it is announced. That may push you in one direction or another.

Upvote 0
Ok, now I understand where the Razr comes in. I completely understand the need to get as far away from At&t as you can.

Since the HD isn't out yet I can't give you an honest answer on regret. I love my Maxx, but my one wish is for an HD screen. Then again I went from a 4.65" HD screen to a 4.3" quarter HD screen. Coming from a 3.5" screen to a 4.3" will be a big jump for you. Since you have to wait a little longer anyway you may want to look at what the Razr HD has to offer when it is announced. That may push you in one direction or another.

OTD,

I am getting ready to make the change to Razr Maxx, but have been reading a lot of people are having issues with ICS. Is this something I should worry about that would keep me from getting the Razr Maxx?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones