• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

So I took off Phandroid, words with friends and hanging with friends and then charged my phone. One of them is definitely the culprit of battery eating. I will add them back but at least I know if I need to conserve battery those are the first to go.
Screenshot_2011-12-26-13-59-50.png

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
So I got my first bill, after changing to the Nexus. My old plan had an unlimited data $15.00/month charge for Mobile Broadband Connect. What I used to use to connect my computer and tether it.

I was under the assumption that would carry over to the new phone and provide a mobile hotspot, since my old phone didn't have that feature.

They dropped the mobile broadband charge off the bill, and now want me to sign up for $30 bucks for 4G smartphone hotspot.

Big red claims it's because the mobile broadband connect wasn't compatible with 4g phones, so they dropped the plan.

What grates me is I looked the sales lady in the eye and said "NOTHING" is going to change on my plan, right" and she replied yes.

I'm not sure if it's worth arguing, but once again, Big red looked me in the ey, and calmly told me I was the most handsome man on the planet, please sign here.

His best offer was $10 bucks off, if I sign up to the $30 bucks.

Also said you can turn it on and turn it off as needed, so no long term committments.

Did I lose anything or not worth the bother? Worth a beef, or shut up and sign up for the $30 bucks if I want a hotspot?

Upvote 0
So I got my first bill, after changing to the Nexus. My old plan had an unlimited data $15.00/month charge for Mobile Broadband Connect. What I used to use to connect my computer and tether it.

I was under the assumption that would carry over to the new phone and provide a mobile hotspot, since my old phone didn't have that feature.

They dropped the mobile broadband charge off the bill, and now want me to sign up for $30 bucks for 4G smartphone hotspot.

Big red claims it's because the mobile broadband connect wasn't compatible with 4g phones, so they dropped the plan.

What grates me is I looked the sales lady in the eye and said "NOTHING" is going to change on my plan, right" and she replied yes.

I'm not sure if it's worth arguing, but once again, Big red looked me in the ey, and calmly told me I was the most handsome man on the planet, please sign here.

His best offer was $10 bucks off, if I sign up to the $30 bucks.

Also said you can turn it on and turn it off as needed, so no long term committments.

Did I lose anything or not worth the bother? Worth a beef, or shut up and sign up for the $30 bucks if I want a hotspot?

That really blows... they really screwed you on that one.

I say stick it to them, cancel the hotspot feature and use 'other' methods... Thats all I will say ;)

Reactions: ASC
Upvote 0
So I took off Phandroid, words with friends and hanging with friends and then charged my phone. One of them is definitely the culprit of battery eating. I will add them back but at least I know if I need to conserve battery those are the first to go.
Screenshot_2011-12-26-13-59-50.png

Words with Friends chewed through the battery on my Android Tablet (Asus Transformer TF101) very quickly. I still use it but make sure to close it when I'm done.

Upvote 0
So I finally got the perfect setup. I wanted the stock app and widget drawer, with no gray line above the dock, customizable dock icons, and a way to hide the notification bar.

I got tired of waiting for a dev to do it and finally just tweaked the latest Nova Launcher (beta 5), which is really stable so far, using an apk editing tool. I also signed it so that it won't automatically update on me and ruin all my tweaks.

I'm so very happy! Yet somehow perturbed because now I have nothing to tweak.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
So I finally got the perfect setup. I wanted the stock app and widget drawer, with no gray line above the dock, customizable dock icons, and a way to hide the notification bar.

I got tired of waiting for a dev to do it and finally just tweaked the latest Nova Launcher (beta 5), which is really stable so far, using an apk editing tool. I also signed it so that it won't automatically update on me and ruin all my tweaks.

I'm so very happy! Yet somehow perturbed because now I have nothing to tweak.

Congrats! Glad you got it the way you want it! But don't despair... I'm sure there will be something else to tweak at some point. 'Tis the beauty of an open-source OS.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Nice find. Any way to see what it looks like without uploading it to the phone?

Actually I've placed it both in the /system/media and /data/local, but it's not showing up, just a black screen. Not sure why.

Does anyone know if Netflix HD app is working on 4.0.3 yet? I'm dying to try Franco's kernel (latest build is supposed to increase quality of whites, somehow), but it's only compatible with 4.0.3.

Upvote 0
Actually I've placed it both in the /system/media and /data/local, but it's not showing up, just a black screen. Not sure why.

Does anyone know if Netflix HD app is working on 4.0.3 yet? I'm dying to try Franco's kernel (latest build is supposed to increase quality of whites, somehow), but it's only compatible with 4.0.3.

nope... not yet :-( I just bit the bullet and put on AOKP w/fransisco kernel and took out the SD card binary that caused GTA to not work...

The whites are so clear and the all around improvement in colors is amazing.. he did a great job.

Upvote 0
Wow, Han the boot animation is now so much more beautiful. Thanks for that.

How did you get it to work? What system folder did you put it in?

nope... not yet :-( I just bit the bullet and put on AOKP w/fransisco kernel and took out the SD card binary that caused GTA to not work...

The whites are so clear and the all around improvement in colors is amazing.. he did a great job.

So a kernel can really affect the screen that much? Whites and colors? Wow. I might have to give it a shot, despite the non-Netflix support.

Does it do anything with the banding on the screen, or is that a hardware issue? (I do notice it sometimes.)

Upvote 0
Yeah, figured it was cliché but I couldn't resist. :D

Nexus questions....

1. When dialing the phone, I'm used to being able to spell out names with the keypad on my Droid X. For example, if I wanted to dial my wife's name (Jen) I'd start dialing '536' and it would pull up everything that matches that in my contacts. Does ICS not do this?

2. Can I get an Airplane shortcut on the main screen without a 3rd party app? I noticed Airplane mode isn't part of the Power Bar.

Thank you!

1. You can search for contacts on your phone using the google search bar on the home screen. I don't think the native ICS dialer has the functionality you're talking about.

2. You can create Settings Shortcuts in the widget section of the app drawer. It would open the settings though, not act as a switch/button.

1&2 I'm sure you can find apps that accomplish both of these satisfactorily. For #2 I'd suggest Beautiful Widgets or Elixir.

------
Hope everyone had a happy holiday.

Upvote 0
Here's the original Nexus boot animation, in 720p, if anyone is interested. Just download it and place it in /system/media using root explorer.

[BOOTANIMATION] Original Nexus 720p - xda-developers
How did you get it to work? What system folder did you put it in?

It's a flashable .zip....did you flash it, or just put the Galaxy-Nexus-One-S-bootanimation.zip into the /system/media folder?

I extracted just the bootanimation.zip from the /data folder (within Galaxy-Nexus-One-S-bootanimation.zip itself) then moved it to the Nexus and placed it in /data/local and it works just fine (looks pretty darn good by the way).

Reactions: CaptainRon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones