• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S2 gt-i9100G: All things root

Hi all. I live in Argentina and I own a Samsung S2 I9100G, made in Vietnam. I have no problems accessing Google Play, etc., with current firmware (original). But I have a simple question. I would like to root it or whatever it is named (sorry my native language is Spanish). My doubt is: Can the phone be rooted but able to stay with current firmware? I would like for the moment the original firmware but with root access, I think you understand what I'm asking about. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Root guide

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...2437-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100g-all-things-root.html
This guide was written for the purpose of rooting the international GS2 but since the method is the same it can be applied to the G variant. Just use

Upvote 0
Shotgun84: First of all, thanks for replying. Also thank you for your patience :)

Well, I would like to double check before applying the routine to root my I9100G. First, I will post data I found in my phone, just the case it could be incompatible or a problem would arise. The following info was taken from my phone:

imei nnnn (number)
base band i9100gxxkl4
kern 2.6.35.7 android 2.3.6
gingerbread.xxlb1

So, in mentioned post #2, you told people to do this. If I undestand right, I must stop just after step 10, right?

In brief, I undestand I must download odin 0,85, also I must download 1.1.1 kernel. After these downloads, I must proceed with your guide step by step until step number 10. After that step, my phone will be root and the process will be completed. Is this ok or I'm misunderstanding something? Thank you a lot!!
Bye

1. Download odin on your pc from here. Unzip and instal
2. Instal kies to your pc if you haven't already as you need the drivers to connect your phone.
3. I'd use this root guide as it seems to more straightforward out of the 2.[KERNEL][I9100G][2.3.5]MyGKernel - CWM5, Root, CIFS - xda-developers
4.Download the 1.1.1 kernel to your pc.
5.Ensuring that kies isn't running in the background open odin.
6. Tick the box which says pda and insert the 1.1.1 kernel next to it.
7. DO NOT tick or untick any other boxes.
8. With your phone turned off, hold the power button, menu and volume down until you get asked if you want to put your phone in download mode. Press up to confirm
9.Attach your phone (while in download mode) to your pc and press start.
10.Wait a couple of minutes and your phone should reboot and you'll be rooted

Welcome to the forum bqz and thanks for joining.

The rooting method in this guide installs a rooted kernel so your firmware will stay the same as it was before rooting.
So just follow that guide and use a kernel from post #2 of this thread and you'll have a fully rooted phone running your current firmware.

Upvote 0
Shotgun84: First of all, thanks for replying. Also thank you for your patience :)

Well, I would like to double check before applying the routine to root my I9100G. First, I will post data I found in my phone, just the case it could be incompatible or a problem would arise. The following info was taken from my phone:

imei nnnn (number)
base band i9100gxxkl4
kern 2.6.35.7 android 2.3.6
gingerbread.xxlb1

So, in mentioned post #2, you told people to do this. If I undestand right, I must stop just after step 10, right?

In brief, I undestand I must download odin 0,85, also I must download 1.1.1 kernel. After these downloads, I must proceed with your guide step by step until step number 10. After that step, my phone will be root and the process will be completed. Is this ok or I'm misunderstanding something? Thank you a lot!!
Bye

1. Download odin on your pc from here. Unzip and instal
2. Instal kies to your pc if you haven't already as you need the drivers to connect your phone.
3. I'd use this root guide as it seems to more straightforward out of the 2.[KERNEL][I9100G][2.3.5]MyGKernel - CWM5, Root, CIFS - xda-developers
4.Download the 1.1.1 kernel to your pc.
5.Ensuring that kies isn't running in the background open odin.
6. Tick the box which says pda and insert the 1.1.1 kernel next to it.
7. DO NOT tick or untick any other boxes.
8. With your phone turned off, hold the power button, menu and volume down until you get asked if you want to put your phone in download mode. Press up to confirm
9.Attach your phone (while in download mode) to your pc and press start.
10.Wait a couple of minutes and your phone should reboot and you'll be rooted

Yeah that's pretty much it. Just a couple of things. That kernel is quite old so I'd use lucifr or streetware instead. And before putting your phone into download mode go to settings, applications, development and turn on usb debugging.

Upvote 0
Shotgun84:

Lucifr=ok
Running with stock firmware currently... and ROOT is working!!!!!!!!

So only I came here to say thank you a lot for your great help!

Bye!

Yeah that's pretty much it. Just a couple of things. That kernel is quite old so I'd use lucifr or streetware instead. And before putting your phone into download mode go to settings, applications, development and turn on usb debugging.

Upvote 0
Hey Shotgun quick question for u. I am on baseband I9100GDDKL1, does the firmware you have affect battery life etc? I am using Superatmos kernel and SuperRom. If so, which firmware can I use and how do I use it?

You alright mate?
The baseband isn't actually your firmware. Its just another name for modem/radio, which is used for mobile data and call signal. Different basebands will have different battery drain but I've got to be honest here I've never looked for them so there could be some about. I suppose I really should add them to this thread, kind of seems incomplete without them. Thanks its on my to do list.

The firmware you are on technically isn't called a firmware anymore as its now called a custom ROM. Stock= firmware, custom = ROM. Anyway these plus the kernel can have an affect on battery. Its really impossible to say which ROM will give the best battery or performance as put stock on two identical phones they will behave differently.

Sorry its kind of been a heavy night so I've been waffling. Since you are rooted and want to change ROM/kernel
1. Download the cwm version of whatever i9100g ROM or kernel you want direct to your phone (post #2 of this thread)
2. If you don't already have it, download titanium backup from the market and backup your apps
3. Boot into recovery mode using the cwm app or power, home, volume up while your phones off.
4. Select backup and restore and choose backup to make yourself a nandroid, ie get out of jail free card. Volume buttons go up and down, home selects, power goes back
5. Wipe data, cache and dalvik (its in advanced)
6..Then flash your ROM like you did with superatmos (instal zip from sd etc)

If you only want to change your kernel after backing up you only wipe cache and dalvik and then instal from sd via recovery mode.
7. If you put a new ROM on redownload titanium from the market and instal your apps.
8. Hope that makes sense,I lost myself a few times
9. If it didn't just say and I'll try again;)

Reactions: eddboi455
Upvote 0
hello guys I have a question for shotgun84
I have a 9100G and I s2 galaxy following specifications

Model: GT-9100G
Android:
baseband:
I9100GXXKL4
kernel:
DELL164 dpi @ # 2Build number:
GINGERBREAD.XXLB1

please guide me how to install ICS and root for this model phone you know how.
all the best
thanks

Hello and welcome to Android Forums cipic888! :)

To root the Galaxy S2, GT-i9100G variant on Gingerbread, see posts #1 and #2, here for a step-by-step guide with video.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum cipic888 and thanks for joining.

Sorry for the delay. If you aren't already rooted rooted on gingerbread I'd advise doing so following the guide ironass had posted above. This will let you backup your apps with titanium backup as you will have to wipe your phone to install ics.

So once rooted and apps backed up download the ics firmware for your phone and region from samfirmware.

SamMobile Firmware Page

Now boot your phone into recovery mode (volume up, power and home) and clear data, clear cache, clear dalvik (in advanced) and format system(in mounts). Now boot your phone straight into download mode, there should be an option in advanced in recovery mode.

Now put the firmware .tar you downloaded from samfirmware in the pda box of Odin, connect your phone and press start (exactly the same process as when you rooted)

You should now be running ics. To reroot follow this guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1679778

You can now redownload titanium backup and restore your apps (be careful not too restore any system data as this could lead to conflicts)

Upvote 0
hi every one. i should begin with thanking shotgun and ironass for putting togher such good guides. before i found here i was going through xda pages and ended up looking like o_O

never the less i'm still a little bit confused. but fist things first, i have an i9100g which is updated to ics by my guarantee agent. so if you see anything confusing pls know that i know nothing about it.

android version: 4.0.3
baseband version: 1900GXXLPR
kernel version: 3.0.8/ dpi@DELL142#2/ SMP PREEMPT wed may 30
build number: IMl74k.JPLP6

and here are my questions:

1. most of the people in the previous posts were trying to root a ginger bread version. but should someone like me try to root with a different kernel now that i have ics?

2. upon my search in the google i found out that most of the guides are about XXLPQ. my phone is XXLPR. is there any difference?

3. i've already read most of what was writen in these two marvelous dummy guides. but still i'm a little confused with the kernel thing. for example in the lucifr kernel link that is mentioned in the previous pages, when you say look for the kernel that is closest to the kernel that is showing on my phone, what exactly should i be looking for? closest to what part of the 3 line kernel version that i haVe written above? I'M UTTERLY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS PART.

4.in the other threads concerning i9100 i have found many good reviews about Siyah kernel and NEAK kernel. do they have any versions for the G veriant?

5. when i ckecked the clockwork recovery 5 link to the xda mentioned in the 2nd post , there it was written this kernel is not for AOSP ROMS like cyanogen. what does it mean? what is the difference? and what is the best kernel for cyanogen? because actually that is what i'm going for. (sorry if this question was stupid. i know you don't have a G variant. but i though it wouldn't heart to ask)

6. and lastly, since i am from the middle east it is of utter importance to me to have the language pack comming with the middle eastern ROMS? so is there anything that i could do in order not to lose them?

thank you in advance. i would appreciate it if you number the answers so i wouldn't be more confused( though i don't honestly know how is that even possible :) )

Upvote 0
hi every one. i should begin with thanking shotgun and ironass for putting togher such good guides. before i found here i was going through xda pages and ended up looking like o_O

never the less i'm still a little bit confused. but fist things first, i have an i9100g which is updated to ics by my guarantee agent. so if you see anything confusing pls know that i know nothing about it.

android version: 4.0.3
baseband version: 1900GXXLPR
kernel version: 3.0.8/ dpi@DELL142#2/ SMP PREEMPT wed may 30
build number: IMl74k.JPLP6

and here are my questions:

1. most of the people in the previous posts were trying to root a ginger bread version. but should someone like me try to root with a different kernel now that i have ics?

2. upon my search in the google i found out that most of the guides are about XXLPQ. my phone is XXLPR. is there any difference?

3. i've already read most of what was writen in these two marvelous dummy guides. but still i'm a little confused with the kernel thing. for example in the lucifr kernel link that is mentioned in the previous pages, when you say look for the kernel that is closest to the kernel that is showing on my phone, what exactly should i be looking for? closest to what part of the 3 line kernel version that i haVe written above? I'M UTTERLY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS PART.

4.in the other threads concerning i9100 i have found many good reviews about Siyah kernel and NEAK kernel. do they have any versions for the G veriant?

5. when i ckecked the clockwork recovery 5 link to the xda mentioned in the 2nd post , there it was written this kernel is not for AOSP ROMS like cyanogen. what does it mean? what is the difference? and what is the best kernel for cyanogen? because actually that is what i'm going for. (sorry if this question was stupid. i know you don't have a G variant. but i though it wouldn't heart to ask)

6. and lastly, since i am from the middle east it is of utter importance to me to have the language pack comming with the middle eastern ROMS? so is there anything that i could do in order not to lose them?

thank you in advance. i would appreciate it if you number the answers so i wouldn't be more confused( though i don't honestly know how is that even possible :) )

1. Yeah the gb kernels won't be compatible with ics.

2. There shouldn't be too much difference, the custom ics kernels should work on either.

3. I wouldn't worry too much about that. It is referring to the cfroot kernel used to root the international version so isn't relevant to the g variant.

4. There aren't compatible versions of siyah or neak for the g.

5. Cyanogenmod and other aosp are pure android roms. So they will be what android is like before Samsung add their look to their firmware. You will still need to root with this kernel in the first place though to get clockworkmod recovery so you flash cyanogenmod. As far as I can tell there is only one kernel which works with aosp and that will be flashed at the same time you flash the Rom.

6. Honestly I'm not sure but I would think cyanogenmod would contain the language pack.

So first thing you need to do is install cwm recovery. To do this flash the ics kernel from here
[KERNEL][GT-I9100G][GB+ICS/LP7] ClockworkMod Recovery 5 - xda-developers

You will now have recovery mode so you can then download cm9 or 10 depending on whether you want ics or jellybean

[ROM][GT-I9100G][4.0.4] CyanogenMod 9 nightly builds! [>60FPS][ROCK-SOLID] - xda-developers

[ROM][GT-I9100G][JB][4.1.1] CyanogenMod 10 official nightly builds - xda-developers

Just follow the instructions in the links and you should be fine. One thing it doesn't mention though is to make a nandroid backup before flashing. This can be done in recovery mode under backup and restore.

If you get stuck just ask and I should be able to help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones