• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy S2 Sprint = Epic 4G Touch?+Favorite ROM?

exitprogram

Jan 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I Know what ya'll are thinking... i just don't want to take any chances in bricking my new bad ass phone trying to rootit (Upgrade from an LG Esteem, which was an awesome phone as well.)

If i go to settings> About Phone this is the pertinent information that i get that should help answer my question:

Hardware Version: D710.10

Android version 2.3.6

Kernel Version 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710

Build Number: Gingerbread.EL29 (When i look up how to root on the links in this post,it talks about EL30, i've not been able to update my phone to it... Is this a problem? Can i still root?)

Based upon this information i'm guessing i should following the instructions at this link. http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-to...clockworkmod-flash-roms-unroot-16-videos.html

And by the way... i forget which forum it was but there was a user that said he preferred the Calkulin's V2.8 ROM over all others and its not listed on the sticky for "Epic 4G Touch All Things Root" here http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-to...sung-epic-4g-touch-all-things-root-guide.html

Which ROM do you guys prefer when considering stability, 4G usage, and features? Don't really care much about the theme...

Also.... Why is information so hard to find for this phone? Is it because its (somewhat) new ? Because ICS is about to be released for it? I'm just curious...

Anyway,
Thanks ya'll.

I Know what ya'll are thinking... i just don't want to take any chances in bricking my new bad ass phone trying to rootit (Upgrade from an LG Esteem, which was an awesome phone as well.)

If i go to settings> About Phone this is the pertinent information that i get that should help answer my question:

Hardware Version: D710.10

Android version 2.3.6

Kernel Version 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710

Build Number: Gingerbread.EL29 (When i look up how to root on the links in this post,it talks about EL30, i've not been able to update my phone to it... Is this a problem? Can i still root?)

Based upon this information i'm guessing i should following the instructions at this link. http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-to...clockworkmod-flash-roms-unroot-16-videos.html

And by the way... i forget which forum it was but there was a user that said he preferred the Calkulin's V2.8 ROM over all others and its not listed on the sticky for "Epic 4G Touch All Things Root" here http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-to...sung-epic-4g-touch-all-things-root-guide.html

Which ROM do you guys prefer when considering stability, 4G usage, and features? Don't really care much about the theme...

Also.... Why is information so hard to find for this phone? Is it because its (somewhat) new ? Because ICS is about to be released for it? I'm just curious...

Anyway,
Thanks ya'll.

well if anybody else needed to know.. the answer is yes, those links work for the specified phone.

Upvote 0
I've used Calk's 2.8 ROM, and it is probably the most stable rooted Gingerbread experience you can have on this phone. However, I'm currently rockin' Calkulin's Stock Rooted FB17 leak as my daily driver, and it's phenomenal. Stable, everything works (albeit GPS is spotty for some), and of course ICS.

As mentioned before, this is where you want to be for the latest ROM news xda

Upvote 0
The video links in the 16 video thread need to be updated but if you follow the link to the link to the other link you will eventually find a proper root for EL29. [ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

In that thread you have a choice to do just a plain root and everything stays the way it currently is for you or you can do a root and wipe where it will give you rooted EL29 and wipe everything like you have a brand new phone.

After doing either of those I would suggest that you install CWM since it will allow you to backup everything on your phone encase of anything going wrong installing any ROM. If you look at [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers scroll down to find: NEW: Even easier self-extractor for windows (Just run .exe - SKIP Unzip and Step #3) [e4gtauto-sfx.exe]

Download that file. Since you are already rooted you will ignore A or B choices in that program and go to C: and then after choosing C you can find the appropriate letter for EL29 Kernal with CWM.

After flashing CWM I would go into CWM and then make a backup.

I personally am trying out Blazer Rom seems to be really stable thus far.
[ROM]Blazer Rom[2/20/12][v4.0][EL29] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I have been on the "New Senzation Rom v2.3" for about three weeks. IT IS STUPID FAST!! I tried almost every SGS2 (epic 4g touch) rom available at that time up to VCS and kept coming back to this one because of the speed, smoothness and outstanding battery life. I have no desire to switch anytime soon. The only thing that will pull me from this rom is an ICS build that offers the same (or better) speed/battery advantages of New Senzation v2.3. If you're still on the hunt for a good SGS2(deep breath)E4GT rom, I would definitely give this one a shot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1352405

Upvote 0
If you have any other questions be sure to ask. Better to ask than to possibly brick a phone.

When I first started rooting phones and using ROMs (when I had my Droid X) I asked a TON of questions, but I learned very quickly and now I love helping others.

I'm always available by PM or on Google+ if you are stuck and don't get a response in a thread, as long as I'm not asleep.

Upvote 0
When I first started rooting phones and using ROMs (when I had my Droid X) I asked a TON of questions, but I learned very quickly and now I love helping others.

I'm always available by PM or on Google+ if you are stuck and don't get a response in a thread, as long as I'm not asleep.

I appreciate the personal help your offering, that's very cool of you, i just might take you up on that one day =) ... but yea i've rooted and put roms on the Huawei M860, Some other cheap android phone metro had, the LG Esteem, and I just rooted the Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch.

I'm still in my trial period with Sprint so i might be un-rooting soon and returning the phone back to Sprint. This is because they're upgrading from 4G WiMax to 4G LTE and the E4GT has hardware only compatible with the current WiMax 4G that sprint has. This means i will have to purchase a whole different phone to benefit from the upgrades that Sprint is doing to their network. This sucks because, from my understanding, LTE is WAAAY better in all aspects than WiMax. The bottleneck of my super duper awesome phone is, the NETWORK!!!! Geez. I should have researched this whole thing beforehand.

I want to stay with Sprint.. AND get the 4G benefits when upgrade to LTE! Which phone do you guys recommend???

Anyway. Thanks guys. As i learn, i will pass it on when i see the opportunity (Or have the time)

Upvote 0
I appreciate the personal help your offering, that's very cool of you, i just might take you up on that one day =) ... but yea i've rooted and put roms on the Huawei M860, Some other cheap android phone metro had, the LG Esteem, and I just rooted the Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch.

I'm still in my trial period with Sprint so i might be un-rooting soon and returning the phone back to Sprint. This is because they're upgrading from 4G WiMax to 4G LTE and the E4GT has hardware only compatible with the current WiMax 4G that sprint has. This means i will have to purchase a whole different phone to benefit from the upgrades that Sprint is doing to their network. This sucks because, from my understanding, LTE is WAAAY better in all aspects than WiMax. The bottleneck of my super duper awesome phone is, the NETWORK!!!! Geez. I should have researched this whole thing beforehand.

I want to stay with Sprint.. AND get the 4G benefits when upgrade to LTE! Which phone do you guys recommend???

Anyway. Thanks guys. As i learn, i will pass it on when i see the opportunity (Or have the time)

There is no LTE phone, the first one will be a galaxy nexus that will work on Sprint's LTE network, but there is no official release date.

Upvote 0
There is no LTE phone, the first one will be a galaxy nexus that will work on Sprint's LTE network, but there is no official release date.

Yup. Now i know that. The guy at the Sprint store told me they were doing upgrades to LTE and that Dallas would be one of the first to benefit from it. He also told me that my E4GT was COMPATIBLE with the new updates and blah blah blah. I did not know this was a HARDWARE thing and not a sofware thing.

I know, its my fault. I should have known, i should have done my own research. NOOBIE MISTAKE!

I am in my trial period still so i might cancel and go to verizon. I'd stay with MetroPCS, they actually have awesome 4G, but they're very limited on the type of phones they have. Plus i only paid $65 for unlimited EVERYTHING (except international calls). I drove to Tennessee from Dallas and had my metro service with signal the whole way. Wasn't always 3G, hardly ever 4G, but still!! Sprint wants to charge me 55 dollars MORE, for slower speed. The only thing i get is a better phone. I also got a $25 credit, which i hear is amazing when dealing with Sprint.

Like i said, its my fault i shoud have done my own research. You live and you learn.

If i dont go to Verizon and get the Droid MAXX then i'll just stay with Sprint, sell this phone, and buy an LTE compatible phone like the unreleased Nexus because i wont be able to wait 2 years for an upgrade to benefit from the 4G LTE.

What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks guys.:(

Upvote 0
If i dont go to Verizon and get the Droid MAXX then i'll just stay with Sprint, sell this phone, and buy an LTE compatible phone like the unreleased Nexus because i wont be able to wait 2 years for an upgrade to benefit from the 4G LTE.

What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks guys.:(

This is exactly what I am doing, except when things are up and running and the phone is released there may be a better phone than the Nexus so the phone I buy might be different.

I was with Verizon for a couple years and will NEVER go back. I get coverage everywhere I go with Sprint and almost everywhere with T-mobile. Verizon's customer service is so terrible that they will never get another penny from me (they used to get about $400 a month for all of my smart phones on my family plan). Sprint has been ranked top in customer satisfaction for a few years now and as long as my phone works everywhere I go and I can get a top of the line phone the only other thing I care about is customer service.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I am doing, except when things are up and running and the phone is released there may be a better phone than the Nexus so the phone I buy might be different.

I was with Verizon for a couple years and will NEVER go back. I get coverage everywhere I go with Sprint and almost everywhere with T-mobile. Verizon's customer service is so terrible that they will never get another penny from me (they used to get about $400 a month for all of my smart phones on my family plan). Sprint has been ranked top in customer satisfaction for a few years now and as long as my phone works everywhere I go and I can get a top of the line phone the only other thing I care about is customer service.

i guess what i will do is sell the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch NOW while its still worth more (Once the nexus comes out, i wont get as much), buy another cheaper phone to use, save the rest of the money, and then get the new Nexus or whatever comes out thats equivalent or better.

Nothing ever works out perfectly, i know. This is what companies do. Produce an awesome product. And then a month or 2 later offer something bad a$$ but you can't use it unless you buy a brand new phone and spend more money. This is not an accident. They do this intentionally. It's a business and they're in it to make money, and if i could do it, I WOULD TOO mwahahahhahhah

But...
Gotta find a way to gain LTE usage and get a bad a$$ deal on the new Nexus or better >=)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones