• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab as a Phone

Tech Addiction

Android Expert
Apr 28, 2010
I was searching the Samsung site for applications and ran accross a question and answer from a Samsung Support Tech. The question was can a Galaxy Tab be used to make calls. The Tech said yes but you must download a dialer from the Android Market first and then put the Tab on a phone line with your carrier. I downloaded a dialer but there is no send or end key. Has anyone found a dialer with the correct send and end keys available? It seems as though you will not need to root or load a custom rom to be able to use the Tab as a phone.

A : Greetings! Pertaining to your query, the tab had the phone capabilities but you will need to download the dialer first from the android market and then activate the line with your network provider. It was a pleasure doing business with you. Technical Support Team
SamsungSupport11(read all my Q&A)

I saw that response from Samsung, but I don't think it's true. I've been watching the posts on XDA as they try to work out a way to make calls on the tab. So far, if they get the phone working, the 3G stops working, some are blocked completely from using the Internet as T-Mo is blocking it my IMEI unless you use the no calling plan.

I just went with the Skype solution for now and it works pretty good for incoming and outgoing calls.

Reactions: Tech Addiction
Upvote 0
I guess it all works different in Europe. The standard firmware contains a dialer, so we can make phone calls as soon as you insert the simcard. Without simcard the phone function is active anyway, so you can call the emergency services. I don't get the system in the U.S. with all the different types and carriers ... sounds unnecessarily complicated to me:thinking:

We have just two choices, 16 GB or 32 GB internal memory:p

You can buy it without or with subscription/dataplan from any carrier, whatever you prefere. In my case it was cheaper to buy it myself and use the contract with the carrier from my old mobile.

Reactions: Tech Addiction
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones