• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

General Tech Weirdness

9to5cynic

Android Expert
Feb 20, 2011
/home/
I thought this could be a kind of cool topic idea. Basically post any weird things tech wise that have happened to you recently (or not recently). I am thinking this way, any weirdness you have could be posted here (especially if you don't feel like filling up the board with weird questions (like me)).

------
===
------
I was booting a computer at school, beeped (no keyboard) then instead of going into windows it went to the unetbootin usb boot loader. I know nothing was plug into usbs because I just plugged in the keyboard. Also, these comps are not dual booting anything.

Anyone hear of anything like this?

Not really weird, more frustrating really.

I upgraded my Acer AO722 from the stock 2GB to 4GB. Last week I purchase a stick of Kingston DDR3 4GB and it was causing major issues, must have been a faulty unit as the netbook blue screened 8 times in 5 days. First time I have ever experienced a BSoD since Win2k (really!) so it was very surprising to say the least. I troubleshooted other possibilities just to make sure it was indeed the RAM. The HDD was flashed with new firmware as well so I thought that could have been it. Anyway, I returned the part and got some better quality G.Skill DDR3 4GB instead (this was my first choice but, it was out of stock the week before).

GSkill-4GB.jpg

Booting fast and furious at 21secs now in a netbook with a hybrid drive. :cool:

Upvote 0
Here's something weird, I don't actually remember hitting 'post' on this topic, I remember typing it, but then I thought I closed the browser... hmm...

This one didn't happen to me, but in front of me:
My instructor couldn't 'copy' and 'paste' from a second partition in class. For some reason the windows 7 'copy here' feature wasn't working. Not quite sure why. He though maybe it was some weird process running... Eh..

Upvote 0
Not really weird, more frustrating really.

I upgraded my Acer AO722 from the stock 2GB to 4GB. Last week I purchase a stick of Kingston DDR3 4GB and it was causing major issues, must have been a faulty unit as the netbook blue screened 8 times in 5 days. First time I have ever experienced a BSoD since Win2k (really!) so it was very surprising to say the least. I troubleshooted other possibilities just to make sure it was indeed the RAM. The HDD was flashed with new firmware as well so I thought that could have been it. Anyway, I returned the part and got some better quality G.Skill DDR3 4GB instead (this was my first choice but, it was out of stock the week before).

So I spoke too soon. The G.Skill RAM is now making my netbook BSoD. Me thinks I'm not meant to upgrade. The stock 2GB is fine for now. I even updated the BIOS last week to see if that was the issue. Nope. No worries, it'll go back and I'll get a better laptop bag. ;-)

Upvote 0
So I spoke too soon. The G.Skill RAM is now making my netbook BSoD. Me thinks I'm not meant to upgrade. The stock 2GB is fine for now. I even updated the BIOS last week to see if that was the issue. Nope. No worries, it'll go back and I'll get a better laptop bag. ;-)
Are the timings and voltages correct for the 4Gb stick? Can you go into the BIOS and make sure the voltages and timings are set properly?

Upvote 0
Okay, here is one. I am running Virtualbox 4.12. The gui doesn't work. XP SP3
I am able to run vms by using the command line. I can also open the gui, and press enter to launch the default VM, but I cannot interact with the gui via mouse at all (keyboard does work)

I have reinstalled it several times, but no luck. It is holding up my install of Windows 8.

Upvote 0
XP SP3. It's weird because I've been having the problem ever since the 4.1 updates, and eventually went back down to 4.0.X

But, I can control the GUI with the keyboard, so it isn't too bad. And I just VMware workstation from my school (which is what we use there), so I've been using that quite a bit too.

I remember I google'd it for a while when it first happened, and I haven't seen anyone else post something similar.

UPDATE:
Problem still exists with the 4.1.4 update.
On an unrelated note, I've started using vmware workstations much more now... ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones