• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Geocaching problems

frogmama

Lurker
Sep 14, 2011
This is my first smartphone. I was really excited to try the Geocaching I had heard so much about, but I can't get it to stop jumping around! I have calibrated my compass many times, I use the opensource C:geo and make sure I am updated on that. In compass-mode, I pay attention to the +/- info on the bottom of the screen to show the location accuracy, but the compass will freeze up (for instance, North is obviously pointing South, etc - but the cache direciton arrow may sill be rotating. The distance jumps all over the place too. I've just sat down with my phone so it can reorient itself, or do the figure 8 thing with it, but it dosen't help~! Is this just a bad phone for geocaching?? Or is it the app? I used the carneo c:geo app for a few months before the opensource one came out too, but I was still brand new at it and didn't have much luck then either, mostly due to inexperience. As far as I know this is the best FREE app to use. Does it just not work well with the Cliq2? I am so frusterated! Thanks for any help you all can offer.

--hopeful geocacher

This is my first smartphone. I was really excited to try the Geocaching I had heard so much about, but I can't get it to stop jumping around! I have calibrated my compass many times, I use the opensource C:geo and make sure I am updated on that. In compass-mode, I pay attention to the +/- info on the bottom of the screen to show the location accuracy, but the compass will freeze up (for instance, North is obviously pointing South, etc - but the cache direciton arrow may sill be rotating. The distance jumps all over the place too. I've just sat down with my phone so it can reorient itself, or do the figure 8 thing with it, but it dosen't help~! Is this just a bad phone for geocaching?? Or is it the app? I used the carneo c:geo app for a few months before the opensource one came out too, but I was still brand new at it and didn't have much luck then either, mostly due to inexperience. As far as I know this is the best FREE app to use. Does it just not work well with the Cliq2? I am so frusterated! Thanks for any help you all can offer.

--hopeful geocacher

Let me look into this when I get home from work tonight. This forum is dead here. The only active Cliq 2 forum is at modmymobile.Com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones