• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gingerbread to the UK - Woohooo!!! (photos)

Anyone else having issues with WiFi? Since the upgrade to Gingerbread my WiFi access points still connect but now they won't send or receive data...

Any ideas anyone?

My WiFi conects and it works, but I have noticed it does not seem to have as strong a signal since I updated to 2.3.3. This is actually the only negative thing I can say about GB. Other than this, its awesome!

Upvote 0
My WiFi conects and it works, but I have noticed it does not seem to have as strong a signal since I updated to 2.3.3. This is actually the only negative thing I can say about GB. Other than this, its awesome!

I cleared my WPA key and re-entered it and now it's working. You're right about the signal though, mines pretty pants too. I'm sat no more than 2 metres from my router and it's only showing 1 bar :-(

I usually use my WiFi in the loft (routers on bottom floor) so I'm hoping this isn't going to be a major issue...

Loving the rest of gingerbread though, the phone is just much nicer to use!

Upvote 0
hi i am in the UK and dont have my galaxy s on contract, so i dont have to wait for o2 ?

however kies isnt prompting to update, and kies is fully uptodate itself. i wonder if its the phone?

Firmware Version: 2.2.1
Baseband Version: I9000XXJPY
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9 root@sep-51 #1
Build Number: FROYO.XXJPY

do these details mean anything to anyone, i havn't a clue what they mean xD

Upvote 0
hi i am in the UK and dont have my galaxy s on contract, so i dont have to wait for o2 ?

however kies isnt prompting to update, and kies is fully uptodate itself. i wonder if its the phone?

Disconnect ur phone from PC.

Uninstall kies entirely.

Make sure that anything related to your phone is removed in device manager.

Download latest version of Kies.

Install latest version of Kies.

Try to update.

Let me know how it goes ;)

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Reactions: Capt Archie
Upvote 0

My wife has a similar problem with her SGS. She is still on eclair 2.1, and when we try to update it says nothing is available. Because she never went to froyo (again, because Kies said there was no upgrade) will this cause the problem in trying to get 2.3?

her phone is running:

Firmware Version: 2.1 update 1
Baseband Version: I9000XXJM1
Kernel Version 2.6.29
Build Number: eclair.I9000XXJM1

Any help would be appreciated, as she is ready to throw the phone away as it is so laggy and crashes all the time and she hoped that gingerbread would fix this.

We have un-installed Kies, reinstalled it, removed all traces of the phone through device manager etc and still it says that there are no updates :(

ps - she is on Vodafone and the handset is unbranded (bought from CPW)

Upvote 0
My wife has a similar problem with her SGS. She is still on eclair 2.1, and when we try to update it says nothing is available. Because she never went to froyo (again, because Kies said there was no upgrade) will this cause the problem in trying to get 2.3?

her phone is running:

Firmware Version: 2.1 update 1
Baseband Version: I9000XXJM1
Kernel Version 2.6.29
Build Number: eclair.I9000XXJM1

Any help would be appreciated, as she is ready to throw the phone away as it is so laggy and crashes all the time and she hoped that gingerbread would fix this.

We have un-installed Kies, reinstalled it, removed all traces of the phone through device manager etc and still it says that there are no updates :(

ps - she is on Vodafone and the handset is unbranded (bought from CPW)

Have a read of this, i've never had to do it myself (bought mine with 2.2 already on it) but i've read alot of other people have had to go up from 2.1 using this method...

How to update Samsung Galaxy S to Android 2.2 Froyo via Kies [Anywhere in the world]

Upvote 0
I'm on Orange UK and I'm stilllllll being told by Kies I have the latest firmware in Froyo...time rolls on and I feel left behind! C'mon Orange get yer finger out...

Orange UK are absolutely useless.. In every way. In March I was overcharged on my bill, they said it would be sorted for the next bill.. April's bill was no better.. I rang them up and they said it would be dealt with and I would be credited the difference in Mays bill... Mays bill came and I was still overcharged so I rang them again and got this guys name and EXT number. If its not been sorted in Junes bill I swear im going to go bat shit crazy!! Absolutely shocking, they are total morons.

I dread to think what they would say as to why we can't upgrade yet to 'gingerbread'. They'd probably recommend going to the local bakery. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Orange UK are absolutely useless.. In every way. In March I was overcharged on my bill, they said it would be sorted for the next bill.. April's bill was no better.. I rang them up and they said it would be dealt with and I would be credited the difference in Mays bill... Mays bill came and I was still overcharged so I rang them again and got this guys name and EXT number. If its not been sorted in Junes bill I swear im going to go bat shit crazy!! Absolutely shocking, they are total morons.

I dread to think what they would say as to why we can't upgrade yet to 'gingerbread'. They'd probably recommend going to the local bakery. :rolleyes:
Well, after I phoned orange to see when it would be released the guy at orange asked me the following: 'what phone have you got?', 'are you sure it's a 9000', 'you have Froyo er 2.2' errr 'some of our other products have gingerbread on them' and errr no there's no update from Froyo on your phone', 'it's (Gingerbread) not available for your phone yet' etc etc etc and following my saying other companies have released it I just got uncertain silence on his part. I ended it with easing the difficulty he was in by saying 'it's no worries or anything I just wondered when it's coming out on orange for my phone' He then went back into his script of anything else I can help you with today blah blah blah....

It's frustrating to be honest and if I had the bottle to do it I'd scrub my phone and do the ROM thing.

Upvote 0
Well, after I phoned orange to see when it would be released the guy at orange asked me the following: 'what phone have you got?', 'are you sure it's a 9000', 'you have Froyo er 2.2' errr 'some of our other products have gingerbread on them' and errr no there's no update from Froyo on your phone', 'it's (Gingerbread) not available for your phone yet' etc etc etc and following my saying other companies have released it I just got uncertain silence on his part. I ended it with easing the difficulty he was in by saying 'it's no worries or anything I just wondered when it's coming out on orange for my phone' He then went back into his script of anything else I can help you with today blah blah blah....

It's frustrating to be honest and if I had the bottle to do it I'd scrub my phone and do the ROM thing.

I keep getting things through the post asking me to join Orange broadband, I dread to think what it would be like phoning up for help with internet problems if they find these simple things difficult. It sounds like you spoke to the same guy I did lol

I'll wait and see whether it happens in the next couple of weeks, and if my bill is overcharged again in 3 weeks time (im sure it will be, I have no trust in these oafs) then I'll enquire about it at the same time. I'm sure they'll have no idea but it might be good for a bit of comic relief I suppose. The worst thing is I am in no doubt that every network is probably the same, so theres not much we can do really!

Upvote 0
i'm on an orange contract & i did mine a couple of days ago , before i tried i deleated kies & installed the up to date one.
it almost straight away said there was an upto date version available (gingerbread).
i had a few problems on the way but eventually i got there in the end.
i also backed up my stuff & did a clean install of all my apps.
no stuttering so far.
now i've got to get enough guts together to do my wifes. :D

Upvote 0
i'm on an orange contract & i did mine a couple of days ago , before i tried i deleated kies & installed the up to date one.
it almost straight away said there was an upto date version available (gingerbread).
i had a few problems on the way but eventually i got there in the end.
i also backed up my stuff & did a clean install of all my apps.
no stuttering so far.
now i've got to get enough guts together to do my wifes. :D
I'm amazed. I have phoned Orange UK and the guy I spoke with in techie support didn't know much about its roll out on their network. I have the latest Kies installed and each time I connect Kies says I have the latest software.
Are you sure it's Gingerbread and not Froyo?

Upvote 0
I keep getting things through the post asking me to join Orange broadband, I dread to think what it would be like phoning up for help with internet problems if they find these simple things difficult. It sounds like you spoke to the same guy I did lol

I'll wait and see whether it happens in the next couple of weeks, and if my bill is overcharged again in 3 weeks time (im sure it will be, I have no trust in these oafs) then I'll enquire about it at the same time. I'm sure they'll have no idea but it might be good for a bit of comic relief I suppose. The worst thing is I am in no doubt that every network is probably the same, so theres not much we can do really!
I used to have LOADS of problems with Virgin Media...they really were the pits. Peoples strategy was to report their credit cards as lost straight after their had left to go to another ISP. This would absolutely stop Virgin continuing to 'take' payment and knobbled their extremely common tactic to 'forget' to keep taking payment.

I left Virgin, went to BT and haven't had any real ISP probs since. I wouldn't trust Orange UK to provide my broadband...they don't strike me as being anything other than borderline inept. I've heard very good things about Zen Internet but am quite happy with BT.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones