• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo asks the Question of the Day: iPhone 4 or HTC EVO

The iPhone has one cool feature.. Using the flash bulb as a video light :p
I'll take the bigger screen, HDMI, and Android freedom to run ROOT any day. Apple was trying to brick me. Greedy Steve Jobs and ATT. I gave them a chance to keep me as a customer. I warned them about phones like the Hero. Now I am a happy Sprint camper :)

Reactions: FemDroid
Upvote 0
The iPhone has one cool feature.. Using the flash bulb as a video light :p
I'll take the bigger screen, HDMI, and Android freedom to run ROOT any day. Apple was trying to brick me. Greedy Steve Jobs and ATT. I gave them a chance to keep me as a customer. I warned them about phones like the Hero. Now I am a happy Sprint camper :)

You can do the same with the EVO. Download the LED Desire Light ap and run it before you run start recording. Of course not as simple as the iPhone version but it works. lol

Upvote 0
I'm madly in love with my Evo. It's not without its hiccups, however. I'm experiencing a few Force Close issues and on a three-day old phone with delivered apps, that really shouldn't happen. Typing is a challenge for me but I'm adapting and getting better at it. Sure the battery life stinks, but I'm always within reach of a power cord so no worries. Still loving the Evo.

That being said, the new iPhone is pretty dang sexy. There's no denying Apple's eye for design. I had the first iPhone and 3G when I was with AT&T. Gave it up for the Palm Pre and Sprint. Now I'm with the Evo. It's a man's phone. heh

Upvote 0
Iphone 4 looks like Iphone 1 to me just a bunch of squares on a screen. It appealed to me back when no other phone even had apps but at this point in time that OS is so outdated I could never go back to iPhone. Maybe when they come out with a 4" or bigger screen, allow flash so I can watch videos on the web and play games free instead of spending ten bucks a pop on the same damn games, allow widgets on the homescreen, allow apps to have driver access so for instance I can print to wifi printers without having to install special apps on the host computer, stream video without having to install special apps on the host computer, share files without having to install apps on the host computer and so on and so on... There are so many things you can do with Android the iPhone OS seems pitiful by comparison.

Of course if all you do with your phone is click the squares on the screen then I honestly don't expect you to understand why the EVO is easily 10x the phone that the iPhone 4 is because it just might not be the phone for you. Have fun clicking your squares ;)

Upvote 0
lol bitter much?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've had ZERO of the problems you've had and it makes you sound like a complainer. Now, maybe you're a much faster typer than I am, but I doubt it. The speed has been fine even though I had to learn how NOT to multitouch the space bar (although you can replace the keyboard if you don't want to whine about it).

There was the time that I told someone to duck off on Saturday but THAT autocorrect has been fixed!

I keep GPS on all of the time, 4G off all of the time (no 4G here yet) and the Wifi goes on and off with the help of the Y5 app. I have no battery issues with heavy use (light GPS turn by turn instructions, albeit). It easily lasts me 10 to 12 hours so far.

So I concur with the other guy...jump ship already. There's only one person who sounds bitter here and it wasnt him.

Upvote 0
It seems like most of the bashing on here is for AT&T not the iPhone 4.

Here is the thing, I am on sprint and truly thought this was going to kill the iPhone, and when I got it, I thought and even iPhone users around me thought that it was better. It beat the 3GS in speed, screen size, camera, features, Everything.

But the thing about the iPhone is simplicity, Apple is good at marketing but everyone that thinks that marketing is why they are so popular is mistaken, they are popular because the phone actually works exactly how it does in the commercial.

Android is an amazing OS, don't get me wrong I like it and prefer it over iPhone OS on almost every level, but their are still problems.

The iPhone is made for people who want to be wowed in a minute or two, however the specs and quality of their devices make it appealing to hardcore users too.

The new phone only has a 5 megapixel camera, but I would put any money down that it takes sharper and better pictures than the 8 megapixel camera on the EVO.

720P video on both phones, again the iPhone guarenteed will have better quality.

Their products are made very well, and they don't just put a spec out, they perfect it and make it the best.

Also the Keyboard on android and HTC is still second to the iPhone IMO.

HTC did an amazing job hiding the ugly black KB, but the iPhone still has the most sensitive screen on any phone to date.

The HTC kb doesn't recognize touch input as easily as the iPhone and the KB does not learn the way you type like the iPhones, and lastly it doesn't miss letters, but it takes longer to register and in term you think you messed up.

The screen on the iPhone is going to look incredible, however it already looks to small even after only having an evo for 4 days.

The iPhone OS is smoother and more polished off than Android,
But android is still growing.

In the end which ever phone you like is whats best for you, but I hate it when people say
"iPhone sucks"
"its a locked down peace of crap"
"or android FTW"
and believe that their statements are facts, they are entitled to their opinions as am I.

The EVO however does have a huge amazing screen, HDMI out, 4G, a kickstand, front facing camera, and plenty of other goodies.

the iPhone and EVO both have pros and cons

iPhone has better screen, where as EVO is bigger
iPhone not as customizable as EVO, but much much more apps and games.

IMO the EVO is definetly a strong competitor to the iPhone 4, and to alot of people and myself better. However the iPhone 4 is an impressive device that will be more popular simply because of the app store and marketing.

Upvote 0

Here is the thing, I am on sprint and truly thought this was going to kill the iPhone, and when I got it, I thought and even iPhone users around me thought that it was better. It beat the 3GS in speed, screen size, camera, features, Everything.

But the thing about the iPhone is simplicity, Apple is good at marketing but everyone that thinks that marketing is why they are so popular is mistaken, they are popular because the phone actually works exactly how it does in the commercial.

Android is an amazing OS, don't get me wrong I like it and prefer it over iPhone OS on almost every level, but their are still problems.

The iPhone is made for people who want to be wowed in a minute or two, however the specs and quality of their devices make it appealing to hardcore users too.

The new phone only has a 5 megapixel camera, but I would put any money down that it takes sharper and better pictures than the 8 megapixel camera on the EVO.

720P video on both phones, again the iPhone guarenteed will have better quality.

Their products are made very well, and they don't just put a spec out, they perfect it and make it the best.

HTC did an amazing job hiding the ugly black KB, but the iPhone still has the most sensitive screen on any phone to date.

The HTC kb doesn't recognize touch input as easily as the iPhone and the KB does not learn the way you type like the iPhones, and lastly it doesn't miss letters, but it takes longer to register and in term you think you messed up.

The screen on the iPhone is going to look incredible, however it already looks to small even after only having an evo for 4 days.

In the end which ever phone you like is whats best for you, but I hate it when people say
"iPhone sucks"
"or android FTW"
and believe that their statements are facts, they are entitled to their opinions as am I.

The EVO however does have a huge amazing screen, HDMI out, 4G, a kickstand, front facing camera, and plenty of other goodies.

IMO the EVO is definetly a strong competitor to the iPhone 4, and to alot of people and myself better. However the iPhone 4 is an impressive device that will be more popular simply because of the app store and marketing.

Very well said and I agree with you 100%. The iPhone's feature set will never be as big as Android and I think the gap will become larger as time goes on. The thing with the iPhone is that everything you can do on it is basically unrivaled by any other OS or device. It just does everything so well and so easily and for the majority of cell phone owners that is a very important factor. Obviously the more tech related people get, the more likely they are to move to Android. Both OS are very good for their respective markets, so I wish there was less hostility between users of both platforms.

Upvote 0
I'm very strongly considering jumping off the EVO ship.

I spent months looking forward to this phone. MONTHS.

Typing on this thing is a nightmare. It cannot keep up with me. My iPhones and winmos and blackberry phones have always kept up, but both my phone and my wife's phone are not able to keep up with how fast i can type.. missing letters and such. I've been told by friends that have the moto droid that they've always had that problem and that "i should type slower/more carefully". Eff that.

Battery life is horrendous. I've done with and without a task killer, but the bottom line is I don't want to have to kill tasks, turn off GPS, BT, WIFI, 4G, or other things so that my phone will make it through the day. I'm not even doing that much. I haven't used the phone much today and the silly thing is down to 20%. On a busy day it would not survive.

I'm really depressed about the EVO. I was so hopeful for it and so excited to jumping away from Apple and the iPhone. Now it looks like I'll be going back to them. I just can't deal with the keyboard lag. I've tried other keyboards and no use. Wiped phone twice and no resolution.

Yeah there are a lot of people that feel this exact same way, including me... The new iPhone trumps the Evo in almost every single way, which is really unfortunate for Sprint as they will most certainly lose new Sprint Evo users to the new iPhone...

Upvote 0

"iPhone sucks"
"or android FTW"

I agree 100%. The iPhone is the most polished phone out there. Even something so simple as their keyboard is still better than other competitors.

I'm a big fan of Android and its many features, but at the same time I'm not a fan of its sloppiness in some areas. I think Android as the potential to be really great, Google just needs to iron out all the wrinkles, which may take a few OS updates.

Upvote 0
Back when the iPhone first came out articles said that Apple would go down in history for revolutionizing the phone. There would not be any one clear iPhone killer but a long line of several. It said that ultimately the iPhone would NOT be the victor for a long. It pointed out innovations like the first touch pad being made for apple laptops. Now every laptop has a touch pad no one cares. No matter how great the macbooks air is it will never own all of the market share. Even net books have similar features like ssd, wifi, front facing cameras etc. The average person does not care and buys netbooks. The same happens in automotive industry, my buddy has a 20 year old BMWs with heated seats, tire pressure sensors etc. Most cars have heated seats these days, keyless entry and so on. No one cares if BMW had it first (not saying they did). I thank apple for making phone history by doing the same things my palm could more elegantly. I thank apple for helping me retire my PSP and Ipod. I also thank HTC and Google for bringing me devices on a network I can afford monthly. I get $110 a month worth of ATT services for $69 a month. So even if the iPhone is nominally better than HTC and Google they gave me a product strong enough for me to comfortably tell Apple and ATT to fly a kite. The next wave of devices might be Winmo 7, Apple, Palm, who knows. Rest assured that through feriece competition the prices will go down and innovation will continue. So we all win at the end of the day no matter what device you buy.

Upvote 0
The new iphone looks incredible, and I mean incredible. The screen will be hands down the best thing out there too.

I just don't want a UI that consists of a grid of icons. I also don't want to have to stick with things I don't like. On the Evo, I've already replaced the stock keyboard, music player, SMS app, mail client, etc. If I don't like what Apple ships me, I'm SOL.

iPhones are great products for 90% of people. The other 10% of us like to screw around under the hood, so it's just not the right phone for us. That's not Apple's fault that they're selling to the majority. My wife loves her iPhone, and she's said flat out, she feels safer committing personal data to it because it's a closed ecosystem. There's some merit to that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones