• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Go Launcher EX: Missing App Icons in Drawer

creatorbri

Jul 26, 2011
I've been using Go Launcher Ex for a couple of days now after switching from LauncherPro, and I must say I'm highly impressed. I'm just about ready to uninstall all my other launchers (perhaps including LP and Stock TwLauncher).

However, I've noticed sometimes when I start GOLEX (i.e. reboot my phone) that random app icons are missing from the app drawer!

Most recently it was the YouTube icon. I've checked and YouTube is definitely installed (it's a Stock app on SGS4G), it shows up in every other place I've tried. I can even place the icon on the Home screen via (long-click on home) > Applications > YouTube. It's just not showing in the drawer.

Any ideas why this might happen, or how I can prevent it?

Thanks y'all!

I find sometimes icons missing, although usually an android icon is there, just not the correct icon. It's like it's booting into a mix of default and GO launcher. I find that after a boot, hitting the home button will give you a "which launcher" pop up, and selecting GO fixes screens (usually). I use Multi-Picture Live WP and it almost never opens correctly on a new boot, always have to go in and reset it.

I have gotten use to doing a GO Back-up anytime I change much. Doing a GO restore will fix all icons quickly.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your issues, but glad to know it's not just my phone.

I sometimes experience both of those problems, (themed icons intermittently replaced with default icons AND apps spontaneously missing from the app drawer all together.)

Go Launcher's seriously the best thing to happen to Android since froyo. Go's so amazing, I'm no longer even interested in advancements like gingerbread or honeycomb related matters.

But this missing app thing is seriously starting to bug. If we only knew what's triggering it. :thinking:

Ps - A poster above mentioned uninstalling the stock Samsung TouchWiz Launcher... is that possible without being potentially catastrophic? I mean with TW totally gone, what ui would be left to fall back on if GO crashed or stopped working?

Upvote 0
Is your issue regarding the fact that Go Launcher EX comes with three "screens" of docks? Try sliding to the right or left on the dock and see if you can swing back to the regular menu. I too had this issue and it drove me nuts until I realized this was a feature of Go Launcher EX and not an actual bug.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback. Good points about not uninstalling TwLauncher.. I've played around with uninstalling default apps (via Titanium, always backing up first before removing) and so far I haven't had any major issues. But I did have to restore one due to frequent FC of the app that was supposedly removed, probably a dependency thing as you say, chan.

Anyway, I haven't solved the missing icons issue, though it seems like a fresh boot usually fixes the problem for me.

GOLauncher has the option of hiding icons in the app drawer that you don't want.
That's not it. When my YouTube icon disappeared, I actually went in and tried hiding YouTube (it showed up in that list just fine), and then un-hiding it. No dice.

I had a 8 x 6 icon array set, then switched it to 6 x 5. Anything that was in a column to the right or a row at the bottom, disappeared. Changed back to denser grid, moved icons, then changed back and all were there.
Nope, I switched to 4w x 5h right after starting GOLX the very first time and haven't looked back.

Is your issue regarding the fact that Go Launcher EX comes with three "screens" of docks?
Talking about the App Drawer. Not the Dock.

Go Launcher's seriously the best thing to happen to Android since froyo.
Despite these annoyances, I have to agree. It has more useful features than any other launcher, it looks good, and yet it still manages to be notably faster than every other launcher I've tried, including LauncherPro. Very, very impressed with GO Launcher EX.

Any more ideas on missing app icons though??

Reactions: Wifi-Naught Odin
Upvote 0
That is weird. My only issue with GO LEX is that, sometimes, it reorders my app icons (I have them alphabetically ordered) and some icons appear at the end of the list or at the beginning when it should be the other way around.

If everything else fails, you could contact the devs throught their blog and tell them about your issue; them (or some of the other guys that hang around the blog) might be able to help you.

Upvote 0
DONT UNINSTALL TW! TW has too many dependencies in the phone system that uninstalling will cause more problems!

Ok so I did not uninstall TW but I did (before reading the above warning) block it (after a clean GO Launcher uninstall-reinstall) and rebooted the phone and have been using it (GO-only) for a day.

Boy am I ever glad I did this! :D Talk about smoooooth sailing and a FOREVER BATTERY!

I almost thought my battery meter was broken cuz it wouldn't budge, even after hours of use! Wasn't til bedtime that I noticed my juice had finally dipped a tad.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my new GO-only experience and really can't justify any reason to look back, the trade-off has too many wins to list, but the battery and the speed (not to mention Go's beauty) would be at the top if I had to name a few.

ps - still haven't had any apps disappear with my fresh go install but it's honestly too early to report success.

As a poster mentioned above, I believe apps disappear as a result of tweaking the app drawer columns and rows counts.

I'll report back as soon as an app disappears and which behaviors contributed to that.

Upvote 0
I've found a few of my icons missing in a similar way - they disappear from the app drawer, and they're replaced by a default icon in folders, but they're there if I try to add them to a screen.

I've noticed that the apps this problem affects have all been updated since I installed Go Launcher EX, but it doesn't affect all my updated apps, just a few of them.

Upvote 0
The green arrows on said icons indicator that there's an update for said app. I'm not too sure how it figures that out though cause I have my phone set to notify me if apps are available for updates and I update them but there are apps that have the green arrow in my app drawer than don't have updates available. So to fix it, I simply went into the app drawer settings and unchecked "App update info"...no more green arrows ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones