• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Go SMS :-(

Inked

Oct 7, 2014
Hi guys

I installed go sms pro last night but its not letting me compose a sms.

I've sent the developers a message but I received an automated email saying they are away and will get back to me when they return, so I thought that maybe someone on here may have had the same problem.

What's happening is, it lets me load up the contact to send the message to but on the screen that your meant to compose the message on, it wont load up the keyboard.

I see the "Type to compose" box at the bottom of the screen but tapping it doesn't bring up the keyboard.

I've even tried tapping the 3 dots (top right corner) and clicking the "quick text" but tapping one of the quick text messages doesn't fill it in on the message pain, so this cant be a keyboard fault.

I've also tried uninstalling the app and rebooting the phone but I still cant get it to work :(

Any ideas ?

Welcome to the forum :)

I assume that your keyboard does pop up for other apps which require it. In which case, to be honest I'd try a different SMS app. Personally I used to use Go, but they kept adding bloat and ads so I gave up on it (and all Go apps) a couple of years ago.

There are plenty of alternatives to choose from: the ones I've used recently are Textra (very lightweight, fast and simple with a distinctive look), Chomp (extremely configurable) and Evolve SMS (modern design, many themes available via a paid ad-on), but there are a lot of others out there.

Reactions: Inked
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply ;)

Yeah ive looked at textra and it looks really good but i like the feel of go sms and i think its the only sms app that has iphone compatible emojis (not eveyone has jumped off the apple ship yet...lol).

I've had a reply from the go sms developers and they told me to enable virtual keyboard in the settings and i now have the keyboard showing up as soon as i open up a message.

Unfortunately im still unable to type anything.

Its as if the box that your meant to type in just wont activate when i tap it, because if i just start typing the text count doesn't even go down and stays at 160.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
You don't need a SMS app to get iphone compatible emoji. I use the ones from Swiftkey keyboard, then I use EvolveSMS.

Thanks for the reply ;)

Evolvesms has popped up a few times while ive been looking around but theres so many negative reviews about it that it put me off.

Ive also seen swiftkey keyboard mentioned a few times but ive not looked into it yet.

Its not just the iphone emojis i like with go sms its a few other rhing, for example i have a lg g2 and not all apps support the led settings.

Its just a shame that i cant get go sms to work :(

Upvote 0
It's worth remembering that bad early reviews linger in the Play Store (also good early reviews, so an app that starts well then goes downhill can have a good average score). Evolve didn't work out of the box with my M7's LED, but changing the LED colour it wanted to use (via Evolve's settings) fixed that.

With both alternative SMS apps and keyboard replacements you can just install and see, and remove them if they don't work for you. Heck, maybe another keyboard will work with Go - you never know (even if it is unlikely).

Reactions: Inked
Upvote 0
I never just go by the reviews on play store as there will always be people saying they dont like an app even if it printed free money...lol

The go developers have stopped trying to help now so i uninstalled it and installed textra.

So far its all been wpring ok (even the iphone compcompatible emojis) but theres something about u t that just doesn't feel right and i cant put my finger on what it is.

Maybe i should give evolve a try.

Reactions: Dirty Emojis
Upvote 0
Just a quick update....

The developers finally got to the bottom of the problem and it turned out that with kitkat you need to set gosms as the default messaging app.

Unfortunately I set everything up how I liked it and set the perfect theme for my phone and then the developers updated (more like downgraded) the app and removed everything good about the app away.

Everyone on the play store and the developers Facebook page are complaining about it...lol

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones