• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Assistant more in the way than helpful

Bencaz

Lurker
Nov 12, 2018
I would love to use Google Assistant but I finally had to disable it. After multiple calls to Google to fix the problem I gave up.

Google Assistant pops up all the time!
When I wake my phone using my finger print,
When I wake my phone in general,
When I open my camera using the power button shortcut,
When I end a phone call.

Why? How is this helpful at all? If I'm listening to a podcast or music, it gets interrupted, if I'm taking a pic on the fly I have to close out of Google Assistant and then type in my password just to snap the pic. If I want to do anything other than talk to my phone I have an extra step to go through.

Google's customer service insists that I'm activating the Pixel "edge" feature. I promise you that I am not. Besides the problem persists when I turned the sensitivity all the way down.

It would be great if you could choose to access Google Assistant on command only. Such as by saying "Ok Google" or pushing a button/using the edge feature. Wish I didn't have disable it.

Last edited:
Believe it or not (G ) Google app can do just as well or better in setting appointments date's, alerts etc than Google Assistant can.

So, I may not understand the difference. The Google app is what I had and what I had to disable. As far as I understand the Google Assistant is built into the Google App. So it seems doubly disappointing that I had to stop using the whole thing.

Upvote 0
So, I may not understand the difference. The Google app is what I had and what I had to disable. As far as I understand the Google Assistant is built into the Google App. So it seems doubly disappointing that I had to stop using the whole thing.

Hmm maybe your issue may be an isolated incident because I have used mine consistently with no problems at all. 8.1.0 OS and also with the 6.0.1 OS:thinking:

Upvote 0
Try going into Settings and (G) Google App and clearing the cache and deleting data. Note this will reset your Google account information and you will be prompt to log back into your account. But before attempting this, make sure you backup all your data information. This process may take up a couple hours to reinstall everything depending on the amount of information you got stored in Google's API systems. Then try using Google Assistant again.

Cheers...

Upvote 0
Google app is not the same as Google Assistant. The settings of the Google app are where you enable or disable Assistant, but the Google app is broader than just Assistant.

(I disabled Assistant a year ago because I decided it did nothing I wanted. And I'm fine with that: I tried it, I know what it is, I know I don't need it, I don't need to bother with it any more. Others clearly do find it useful, but it didn't suit me).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones