• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help google maps wakelocks out the wazzoo

jkc120

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
I noticed my GPS icon popping up a lot lately and took at look at better battery stats. Three of the top 5 wakelocks are google maps related.

In 7h 39 min off battery:

NetworkLocationPassiveCollector (Count: 70), 7m 58s, 1.7%

NetworkLocationActiveCollector (Count: 80), 3m 59s, 0.9%

SignalCollector.ScannerThread (Count: 78), 1m 21s, 0.3%

What are my options here? Freeze google maps until I need to nav? :thinking:

1. Those numbers aren't outrageous. Mine are in the 2 minute range. 7 is a MAYBE a little high, but not crazy. altogether we are talking about < 3% of your battery for GPS location...which is nothing. GPS is a hog when its on. I don't think you actually have a problem.

2. Google location services are almost constantly running in the background. Its the nature of the beast that is Google I suppose. I guess that's why you have to agree to share that info with them...

3. If you are actually seeing the GPS icon on screen, then technically, those are NOT partial wakelocks. Partial wakelocks occur when the screen is OFF and something triggers the CPU. If location services are coming on and you don't have maps open, then whatever it is you are using is triggering location services. Check the settings/permissions on your apps. It could be the browser reporting location, or it could be something like twitter or facebook with location enabled. Either way, it doesn't really seem like a problem from a battery perspective....at least not from what you've posted. Are your battery charts showing excessive GPS usage?

4. Wakelocks out the wazzoo is like 1,400 times for 11hrs. (I've seen that on a stuck sync). 70-80 times in 8 hrs is nothing.

Upvote 0
1. Those numbers aren't outrageous. Mine are in the 2 minute range. 7 is a MAYBE a little high, but not crazy. altogether we are talking about < 3% of your battery for GPS location...which is nothing. GPS is a hog when its on. I don't think you actually have a problem.

I understand it's not a huge number. It is, however, new and has never shown up before. I don't have any new apps to speak of, but I'll double check them.

4. Wakelocks out the wazzoo is like 1,400 times for 11hrs. (I've seen that on a stuck sync). 70-80 times in 8 hrs is nothing.
Yikes. The only reason it looked like a lot to me was that I'd never seen so many before for the location stuff. As in never, and I've left GPS enabled since like b29. I'll just have to dig through my apps and make sure nothing is trying to locate me periodically I guess.

Upvote 0
I made a post about it about a week ago myself. Right after the update Maps turned into a huge battery drain.

Maps was 3rd place right after screen and phone idle usage.
In 6 hours it used:
CPU 6m 23s
awake 18m 43s
GPS 5m 58s

I had not opened the app once or was signed in to Latitude since it the phone came off the charger in the morning.

My remedy was to clear data/cache and uninstall Maps as far as it would let me on stock (which basically means it uninstalls all updates).

After I re-installed it it has been behaving again.

Attachments

• Maps_2012-06-07.JPG
    Maps_2012-06-07.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
If I do that, it takes minutes to lock and it seems every time I need to navigate I need to do it ASAP :)

Have you tried this? Just flash in recov. Make a backup in case you want to go back

Also, under location settings/services, have you tried unchecking all boxes and just use "GPS satellites" (toggle in status bar) when you need to nav? Well maybe not since you said it takes too long to lock when needing it. Just a thought

Upvote 0
Glad it's not just me that's noticing the GPS in the Nexus takes quite some time to lock onto satellites.

yeah, what's the deal with this?

when i first got the phone the gps locks were almost instant most of the time and within 15 secs at the most

in the last month or two it has taken forever, i had to stop at a stop sign for about 2 minutes when i was out of town because it hadn't locked in the 3 to 4 minutes it took me to get there and i wasn't sure which direction to go next

i'm assuming it has something to do with the updates?

Upvote 0
Have you tried this? Just flash in recov. Make a backup in case you want to go back

Quoting myself.....sorry.

I had to try this after finding it, although I don't have GPS issues. I have had it take a minute or so when it was storming badly outside and I was in my car.

So I dnld'd the GPSCompassMap app to look at my locks inside and outside and how long each took. Flashed the optimal zip. Cliff notes: you should try it :)

Now getting back to those wakelocks, do you have an update for us? Still bad?

Reactions: sneakking
Upvote 0
Quoting myself.....sorry.

I had to try this after finding it, although I don't have GPS issues. I have had it take a minute or so when it was storming badly outside and I was in my car.

So I dnld'd the GPSCompassMap app to look at my locks inside and outside and how long each took. Flashed the optimal zip. Cliff notes: you should try it :)

Now getting back to those wakelocks, do you have an update for us? Still bad?

cool tip, will definitely be doing this to see if it helps

Upvote 0
yeah, what's the deal with this?

when i first got the phone the gps locks were almost instant most of the time and within 15 secs at the most

in the last month or two it has taken forever, i had to stop at a stop sign for about 2 minutes when i was out of town because it hadn't locked in the 3 to 4 minutes it took me to get there and i wasn't sure which direction to go next

i'm assuming it has something to do with the updates?

Generally downloading GPS Status and clearing GPS data usually makes it lock much faster for me. Usually only takes a few seconds outside.

Upvote 0
After just over 2 hours of off-charger time today, maps is the top 3 wakelock entries, using 13% of my battery. I'm not sure why the speedtest app is on there, I have NOT run it explicitly a single time in a few days. I wonder if an update to the speedtest.net app is doing passive speed collection.

I'm going to freeze the speedtest app and see if the problems go away.

Attachments

• small_Screenshot_2012-06-14-10-50-54.png
    small_Screenshot_2012-06-14-10-50-54.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 106
  • small_Screenshot_2012-06-14-10-51-10.png
    small_Screenshot_2012-06-14-10-51-10.png
    169 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones