• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play thinks I am somewhere else

traceon

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Dear all, I just got a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. I live in the Netherlands and bought it in a shop here but the manual inside the box came in Hungarian. Oh well... Now, after updating from Android 3.1 to 3.2 and from Android Market to Google Play I see a couple of strange things: 1) When searching I cannot find common apps such as "Google Reader" or "Skype" or "Out of Milk". Searching for "Google" I only find 9 applications I had never heard off. 2) When I try to install any of these applications from the menu of my applications (linked to my account) I can install them from there. Which is good. 3) However, some applications like "El Mundo" or "El Pais" (two Spanish newspapers) I cannot find them in the market OR install them ("item cannot be installed in your device's country" error). I have other Android devices (phones), all of them from the Netherlands, and I can always see an install those applications. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy. Thanks! -Alex

Well, after trying many things (unsuccessfully) the problem solved itself after a few hours with me not touching the tablet.

My guess, it took some time for Google to confirm that my IP was in the Netherlands and allow for all those apps to be found and installed.

So all in all things are the way they should be.

Thanks for your help!

-Alex

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones